Strange happenings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alpha Kitty strikes again....  This is a cat who was TNRed in 2014 but otherwise on the street for most of his life

He kept nudging her for more pets while in her arms... later plopped down in her lap when she was sitting on the floor. 

She's a little cranky for now but wow is she gorgeous!   Many great pictures (with better lighting) to come I'm sure :)

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Now I swear she's doing it just to embarrass me.  Morgan was dumped as a kitten when a tenant decided he didn't want her when he moved.  No real human contact since then... less than 15 hours with us and Alpha Kitty has her begging for more pets.

Scratch the feral status... these two are some desensitizing away from being lap kitties.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update....

Morgan is pretty much just a house kitty that got stuck outside for years.  Last night she spent most of the night asleep on the dresser by my head.  Periodically waking me up with little meows to let me know she wanted some love.  This morning after I got up, she took my place, her head on the pillow and everything, and slept beside Alpha Kitty.  Other than the odd moment of reversion when we've been outside the room for a while she's just the most loving & active kitty (she loves climbing up and down).

Julius is going to need some coaxing though - he's willing to let us pet him/pick him up but he's still trying to keep out of sight.  He's also so underweight he fit through a 3" high hole to get under the dresser so he's getting all the treats he'll take - anything to get some calories in him.  He'll get there though, we figured out that when we're not in the room he comes out and explores/uses the bed (we've found chunks of old fur in the sheets ;)  If he doesn't come out in the next couple days we'll drop the bed down so he won't be able to hide (except in the carrier) and will have to confront his fears.

Both are headed to the vet on Saturday morning then they get released from isolation.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I made a bit of a mistake today...  I was returning the trap we used to catch Morgan back to FFF, unfortunately she wasn't home.  I had brought it with me when I was going out to feed the two colonies so I figured, what the heck I'll bring it with me and try again once I'm done feeding.  I fed the one colony and along the way to the second I see this big black cat we've been trying to get for a while.  He was limping quite noticeably, fearing an injury I reacted and set out the trap to get him.  He of course walked right by it... so I followed him, tried 2-3 more times.  No luck.  I am about at the 2nd colony by this point so I go feed them... and who shows up but the big black kitty.  I quickly set the trap, move the food dishes away for the other 6 cats that came for a meal and wait.  I few times I have to chase him away from the plates I moved so he has no choice but to go to the one in the trap. 

Not long after, in he goes.  Then I actually stop and think... what the heck am I going to do with this guy!?!  I was totally unprepared but here I am with a possibly injured cat and no plan. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You know what? Even if you don't have a plan or any money to help this cat right now at least an injured cat is safely indoors, out of the cold. That's all that matters for now. Everything else will fall into place in time.

You're such a great trapper now! 

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You know what? Even if you don't have a plan or any money to help this cat right now at least an injured cat is safely indoors, out of the cold. That's all that matters for now. Everything else will fall into place in time.

You're such a great trapper now! 

5am... I am off to Toronto Human Society to have him snipped, chipped, & vaccinated for free.  Hoping they'll let me know if I need to take him to a vet for the leg or if it's just a sprain and he can go back out.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No new pictures, the kitties are sticking to their hiding spots for the most part.  We ended their isolation as soon as they were vetted - no big issues at all. 

Julius is coming out more and more, he'll make his way out from under the bed and lay about in various spots or find another hiding spot to chill in.  He'll accept pets while out but is still a little skittish about us moving around.  He's such a laid back kitty we don't anticipate any problems with him, just time to get used to his new life.

Morgan on the other hand is a little unpredictable.  One second she's fearful, the next loving, and the next fearful again.  Is it possible for a cat to have a 1 second memory? lol  Anyway, overall she's doing well, sleeping in her bed at night (but under ours during the day).  Her biggest problem is that she seems fearful of just about every cat.  Hissing/spitting/swatting at every one of them.  None of them engage and they give her her space but being under the bed is enabling her fear.  She spends most of her time in the bedroom (though finally came down and explored yesterday).  I really don't know what to make of her or have any clue of how to proceed beyond giving it time.

Then there's Mama.... good god Mama. He's pissing up a storm, reading Julius the riot act daily, and generally being a pain in the butt - then falling asleep a couple steps down from Julius like he's not even there.  Of course he's doing this right when we have our annual inspection from our landlord - that's going to be fun trying to explain the ammonia smell (esp since we can't air the place out due to the construction)

Scotty is just fine with everything, a bit anxious but pick him up and he calms right down and purrs for half an hour.  He tries so hard to be a good boy - not reacting when he gets beat up on by Morgan (and Junior) doing anything he can to avoid conflict... it just keeps finding him the poor boy.  Junior is loving the new kitties because Julius will actually chase him (in a friendly way) and he's very curious about Morgan who's put him in his place a couple times.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You do know about Nature's Miracle Just for Cats?  If you get some, and apply it as directed, it should help freshen your place.  
I bought 12L of Nature's Miracle a while back... we're almost half way through and it only does so much lol.  We recently washed our curtains out as the smell was horrific - it took soaking in Nature's Miracle and two cycles of NM + Oxyclean + detergent to get them close enough to normal to be usable.  Mama peed on them 20 minutes after rehanging

It's a constant battle - we've got some flooring that needs to be replaced due to ammonia burn.  Anything over 8" in height now gets put on top of cardboard in case we don't notice where they're peeing fast enough.  Our couch, birch entertainment unit, and my grandparents cedar wedding chest are ruined, about  180 video game cases are currently stuck together, 7x50L (13Gal) sealed bags of items to be laundered or washed, etc.  That's just some of the backlog - the daily routine involves bleaching + scrubbing half a dozen hot spots & under them, all around the litter boxes, and then following up with a water wash + NM treatment + another water wash.  It still stinks though cause it's just soaked into certain things.  Mama was getting better but Julius being here just sent him into overdrive.

NM guarantees the smell will be gone... maybe I should ask for a refund lol

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I forgot to post an update - I named this cutie Bear.  He only had a sprain so was good to go back to the colony a couple days after his surgery.  He'll likely get re-trapped at a later date when foster spots open up but for now they're full up for the foreseeable future so he had to go back out.  He's a great candidate for a rescue, very calm & photogenic.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Bear is so sweet! I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured. Fingers crossed he finds a foster home soon.

I'm having a similar problem with spraying at the moment, although having read your post I had to think "Well, at least they're not that bad." Sorry, not very helpful of me.

What are your plans once construction is finished? Are they going to be 100% indoor cats or are you going to be able to let them out again?

My cats aren't so bad in the warmer months when they have their whole enclosure to spray. At the moment we've got around 30 cm of snow so they're indoors a lot more. I can see this is stressing them out. One of the boys is spraying and 3 of the girls are over-grooming.

I think in multi-cat households you're bound to see a few territory issues such as spraying, hiding or fighting. The more space they can claim as their own the better, I think. What do you think about harness training some of them? Even a little walk outside might help.