Strange happenings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, Sissy is April 7th, then Mama at the next available date.  Junior was still hissing at Scotty while stoned.  Even took a swipe at him (which we put a quick stop to).  The good thing is that Scotty pays no mind to his antics - just walks past like nothing happened.  I think at some point they got in a fight before they came to us and Jr. lost badly.  Most other male cats he'll yowl and be all aggressive towards - Scotty is one of two that I've seen him be fearful of (Chaucer is the other).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I must certainly step up my efforts to get funding for new glasses.  I just read "Junior Post-operation" as "Junior Post-separation" and thought, "How appropriately said."  He'll be a much happier kitty now, although you still have a few weeks of slowly diminishing hormones to deal with.  

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol - that would have been apropos.  For now he's a very sad kitty.  He's not allowed outside for a few days and he keeps going to the window and falling asleep with his nose to the little bit that's cracked open. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, Sissy is April 7th, then Mama at the next available date.  Junior was still hissing at Scotty while stoned.  Even took a swipe at him (which we put a quick stop to).  The good thing is that Scotty pays no mind to his antics - just walks past like nothing happened.  I think at some point they got in a fight before they came to us and Jr. lost badly.  Most other male cats he'll yowl and be all aggressive towards - Scotty is one of two that I've seen him be fearful of (Chaucer is the other).
I'm curious to know if there's a change in junior's behaviour in the next few months.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious to know if there's a change in junior's behaviour in the next few months.
So far he's an even bigger jerk lol

He keeps walking up to Sissy in the most casual way and swatting at her for no reason (she'll literally be passed out snoring and he'll do it).  He's almost doing it playfully but the other cats are reading it as aggressive.  Then last night he attacked Mama out of the blue.  I think he has an issue with kitties being playful/happy and feels he needs to correct it.

The stoned kitty in him revealed his true personality though - snugly & loving.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far he's an even bigger jerk lol

He keeps walking up to Sissy in the most casual way and swatting at her for no reason (she'll literally be passed out snoring and he'll do it).  He's almost doing it playfully but the other cats are reading it as aggressive.  Then last night he attacked Mama out of the blue.  I think he has an issue with kitties being playful/happy and feels he needs to correct it.

The stoned kitty in him revealed his true personality though - snugly & loving.
I hope that's what he'll be like when the testosterone leaves his little body.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just spent the last hour or so reading this entire thread. What an amazing story. For someone who'd never had a cat before, you are definitely a natural cat person. And obviously those kitties knew it too.  

Looking forward to reading your continued updates.   

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lazy, my hind foot and toenails.  You walk more miles in a day opening and closing the door for the cats than some of us (~waves wildly
) in a week.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Lazy, my hind foot and toenails.  You walk more miles in a day opening and closing the door for the cats than some of us (~waves wildly
) in a week.
Why do you think it gets left open

Junior didn't skip a beat - it was like he never had surgery.  We let him out today since he's doing so well.  When I let him out this morning I heard Scotty meowing to himself under the tarp.  I tried to encourage him in but he wouldn't come so I left the door open and 4 hours, and a lot of self-meowing, later he wanders in.  It looks like he got injured in a fight :(  He's spent the entire day sleeping, only coming out briefly for treats, the poor guy.  While he's still having a lot of trouble making it in the door and running away from us when he's outside, as soon as he comes in he's a completely different cat.  He still hides under the bed but is easily coaxed out and will come visit with us on occasion.  He isn't afraid of us walking by him when he's laying down... it's very strange.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really not sure how I'm going to solve this problem between Junior and Scotty.  Scotty is completely indifferent, even a little curious about Junior, but Junior is terrified of Scotty and it's causing him to hiss/growl at him.  Every so often it results in a fight.  Today I finally got to witness what happens and it seems that when Scotty can't move around Junior and is getting hissed at, he starts a dominance display.  This starts a little scuffle between the two which in and of itself might work out over time but due to the dominance display Mama gets involved and corrects Scotty for making trouble in his territory. 

I don't think hormones going down is going to help the situation much because it's not territorial or them butting heads, it's very much Junior's fear that starts the ball rolling.  If we had full control over Scotty it might be possible to do a lot of the 'introduction' techniques but we're very slowly building trust with him as is to get him to consider us home.

I hate to say it but I'm wondering if trapping Scotty and finding him a home without fearful cats might be the best thing for him.  Spraying aside he's a perfect candidate to be a house cat, very laid back & relaxed most of the time, accepts pets readily (even nudges for more)... The worst part is though Jr. is causing problems with Sissy and Mama as well - he attacks Sissy when she gets playful and Mama when he's having an FHS episode. 

Kitties.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with Junior and Scotty may yet sort itself out.  Some of us have spent MONTHS introducing our house cats to one another, and you have a clowder of feral/strays slowing morphing into house cats.  It's amazing that they do as well as they do.  Hang in there.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The problem between them seems to be escalating not getting better... I just worry about them lol

It was hilarious watching Scotty do his dominance display though... where Mama gradually raises her head/stretches her ears back, Scotty does it in one big motion and with is wide face it looks so cute and disturbing at the same time

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some positive news on the Scotty front, he showed up today since we're getting 10-20cm of snow tonight.  After a short stint under the bed, he decided to come out and hop up on top of the bed and get all snugly in the blankets!  Alpha Kitty stepped up again and started giving him pets - he was completely enthralled.  She had to go to work so I snuck in and took over.  He just loves getting his head scratched and his chin rubbed... he was asking for more and rolling to showing us his belly (not ready for belly pets though) and purring up a storm.  I would have taken a picture but I was too occupied keeping him entertained.  When he was done he just hopped down to grab some food.  Great to see him out and about with the chaos of someone getting ready to leave going on.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I'm really not sure how I'm going to solve this problem between Junior and Scotty.  Scotty is completely indifferent, even a little curious about Junior, but Junior is terrified of Scotty and it's causing him to hiss/growl at him.  Every so often it results in a fight.  Today I finally got to witness what happens and it seems that when Scotty can't move around Junior and is getting hissed at, he starts a dominance display.  This starts a little scuffle between the two which in and of itself might work out over time but due to the dominance display Mama gets involved and corrects Scotty for making trouble in his territory. 

I don't think hormones going down is going to help the situation much because it's not territorial or them butting heads, it's very much Junior's fear that starts the ball rolling.  If we had full control over Scotty it might be possible to do a lot of the 'introduction' techniques but we're very slowly building trust with him as is to get him to consider us home.

I hate to say it but I'm wondering if trapping Scotty and finding him a home without fearful cats might be the best thing for him.  Spraying aside he's a perfect candidate to be a house cat, very laid back & relaxed most of the time, accepts pets readily (even nudges for more)... The worst part is though Jr. is causing problems with Sissy and Mama as well - he attacks Sissy when she gets playful and Mama when he's having an FHS episode. 

Kitties.
Give it time, it's early days yet. Scotty has been neutered fairly recently and Junior only a few days ago. It takes time for all those male hormones to wear off and for them to settle down. They lose their urges to fight and go off looking for mates gradually, you won't see an over night change.

I know it seems impossible now, but things will get better. I have 10 large males and one very rambunctious recently neutered 7 month old kitten that all live together and get on well, but it took me months of careful introductions to get to that stage.

Having the unspayed girls around is adding to the tension too. You really have to wait until they're all fixed before you start seeing any progress.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement @Norachan - I'm sure I'm doing the introductions all wrong but the best we can do for now is keep things as calm as possible. 

It's Spring in Canada!

The snow storm has brought another visitor to our apartment this morning, Julius.  He must have been cold & wet because he let me close the door without freaking out.  Normally if I try to do that he'd freak out for an hour or two trying to get out.  He's just snuggled up on the sauna instead.

We've yet to see Julius and Scotty interact, should be an interesting day - though most of the kitties are just really sleepy.

Scotty is becoming more gregarious

Even sleeping downstairs

Last edited:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just had a great catnip session with all 5 cats involved, Alpha Kitty worked her magic again and was able to pet Julius for the first time... I swear it seemed like the first time he'd been pet in his life... he loved it!

Unfortunately, we also noticed that Scotty had a couple worms coming out of his bum.  sigh.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement @Norachan
- I'm sure I'm doing the introductions all wrong but the best we can do for now is keep things as calm as possible. 

It's Spring in Canada!

The snow storm has brought another visitor to our apartment this morning, Julius.  He must have been cold & wet because he let me close the door without freaking out.  Normally if I try to do that he'd freak out for an hour or two trying to get out.  He's just snuggled up on the sauna instead.

We've yet to see Julius and Scotty interact, should be an interesting day - though most of the kitties are just really sleepy.

Scotty is becoming more gregarious

Even sleeping downstairs

[/quote

Julius is beautiful. Have you got a white picket fence?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hehe - not quite.  That is our patio, it's just a regular pressure treated fence that was painted white by one of the previous tenants.