Strange Habits in Declawed Cat

catb8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat, Edward Stubble-Hands (Stubbles, Stubby, or Bubby for short), was already front declawed when I took him in (This is where his name comes from looool). He belonged to a neighbor of my mom and decided that he would rather live with us than them. I don't really blame him as they were overall pretty terrible to all the pets they had. Dogs with terrible matting kept outside in all weather, malnourished cats, and cats having kittens they didn't even know about to name a few examples. After many attempts to encourage him back to his owners we eventually gave up and when I moved out of my mom's house my boyfriend and I brought him with as he had grown very attached to us, and didn't much like the other cats at my mom's. I guess my point in explaining all this is that because of this is that I'm not really sure at what point in life he was declawed.

We believe he is between 8 to 10 years old now and he is a very healthy, very huge guy. Now, I know that declawing is inhumane and I would never elect to have it done on a cat of mine, but of course I had no say in this with Stubby. Thankfully, he has not had any negative impacts from the loss of his claws. It doesn't seem like he experiences any pain as he likes to have his hands massaged and walks around just fine. He does, on the other hand, exhibit some strange behaviors that I can really only equate to him being declawed.

First, he has an obsession with "grabbing edges" as we call it. He will grab the edges of things with his front paws and pull them towards him and let them go. Pieces of paper, books, backpacks, rugs, boxes, the sides of our mattress...if it has an edge he will grab it. He does this especially when he is very happy or excited.

Second, he "chest humps" door frames. He will go up to door frames and hug them with his front paws with his chest close to the frame, and pull at them over and over again making a loud noise.  He's not literally humping in the sense of trying to mate, this it just the best way we've been able to describe this habit. I might try to get a video of him doing this to make it make more sense. Again, he usually does this when he's happy or excited. Also sometimes to wake us up or get our attention when he needs something.

Third, he loves to play "slappy paws" (sorry for all the terms in quotes, I don't know what to call these things he does since I've never heard of them in other cats). He'll be play fighting and will get on his back with his hands in the air and get you to slap his paws and he will slap your hands. He absolutely loves this and can smack surprisingly hard for a cat. Funnily, I was playing with our 2 year old, Beebee, the other day and totally forgot that he has her claws intact (stupid me). I went to play slappy paws and I now have a nice gash down my hand and index finger.

Also, not so much a habit, but something else I think could be caused by his lack of claws. He is a terrible jumper and typically will usually test jump (Gets his front half off the ground, but doesn't actually jump up) several times before actually leaping up onto the couch/table/ect. He is also very unsure of himself when jumping down from places and honestly kind of clumsy overall in cat terms. He's bad at balancing and things of the sort.

I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has/had or know of cats doing these sorts of things when declawed or otherwise. I've searched many times on the web and have not been able to find anything. To me it almost seems like he has heightened feeling in his paws and this is why he does all these weird things with them. What are you're all's opinions on this? Also do you think his clumsiness is caused by this or could it be something else? He's been clumsy the whole ~4 years I've owned him, so I don't think it's just because of him getting older.

Here's some pictures of him 'cause he's just so super handsome:

He walks on a leash

And enjoys rides in the car.

He loves to lay on his back and show of his Bubby Boobies.

And look out the window with Beebee (although they usually fight over who gets to sit in the sill).

He's a pretty pretty boy.

And here's him, Beebee, and Molly (A kitten that actually came from one of the litters of kittens that my mom's neighbors didn't know one of their cats had. We found her at 3 months and were able to socialize and rehome her. The rest weren't found until months later, and by that point they were mostly feral. They ended up going to a farm where they're still doing well, killing mice and such.)

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually I don't believe your weirdo. Kitty behavior is related to being declawed /:3 my weirdo kitties do some of these too and they still have their scissors hehe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catb8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I don't believe your weirdo. Kitty behavior is related to being declawed /:3 my weirdo kitties do some of these too and they still have their scissors hehe
No way! I figured this would be the best place to find someone else with cats who do the same things and I was right : ))) I've searched the web and have asked people if they'd ever heard of cats doing those things and I haven't been able to find anything. Which things do they do as well?

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No way! I figured this would be the best place to find someone else with cats who do the same things and I was right : ))) I've searched the web and have asked people if they'd ever heard of cats doing those things and I haven't been able to find anything. Which things do they do as well?
My kitties also grab. Edges :) I see them do this every day actually hehe and they are also pretty bad jumpers, poor kitties! Although I have to admit I do laugh a little at the fail jumps hehe

And I also know my kitty Oreo " does the "chest hump" but... Only he does it to me and not the door, your not a dog Oreo u can't hump my leg :lol3:

Now I never have seen my kitty play the slappy paw game, I would want to see that lol

And looking at your kitties I see you have him on the leash, that's awesome I want to get my fat Oreo on a leash too :)

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Declawed cats have lost their toes, but not their natural instincts. They do the best they can with what they have left. They still want to leave scent marks. My declawed (wasn't me!) kitty "sharpens" her claws on the ridge of the mattress. I make sure to leave a corner open for her when I make the bed. Her usual jumping places are covered in something that her front paws won't slip on.

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's pretty interesting kitties still sharpen their claws even when they don't have them, do they ever stop doing that? Is it like phantom limb? I have never seen a declawed cat before so I'm pretty curious

cutepixie93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a kid long time ago, had a cat Tinkerbell, and she rub her paws up and down the sofa, sometimes ovr the carpet, thought maybe it was a natural instinct for her, it felt good massaging her paws. Slappy paws, Tinker did that if you annoyed her enough lol

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of it sounds pretty normal except the test jumping. I suspect he has pain in his back and legs that make him have trouble jumping. And the pain would be from the declaw, as it affects their whole gait and stance.

He probably has quite a bit of arthritis. You can help him by giving him massages, keep his weight down, and feed him a good quality wet diet. Sounds like he has a happy life with you, congratulations on being Chosen by him!

Last edited:

catb8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties also grab. Edges
I see them do this every day actually hehe and they are also pretty bad jumpers, poor kitties! Although I have to admit I do laugh a little at the fail jumps hehe

And I also know my kitty Oreo " does the "chest hump" but... Only he does it to me and not the door, your not a dog Oreo u can't hump my leg

Now I never have seen my kitty play the slappy paw game, I would want to see that lol

And looking at your kitties I see you have him on the leash, that's awesome I want to get my fat Oreo on a leash too
I think it's pretty interesting kitties still sharpen their claws even when they don't have them, do they ever stop doing that? Is it like phantom limb? I have never seen a declawed cat before so I'm pretty curious
It's super cool to finally hear of other cats doing these things. I've always thought Stubby was just a weirdo. I agree, his fail jumps are pretty hilarious even if it is kind of sad.

I may try to record some video of him doing these things if I can remember to. It all really is pretty amusing to watch.

I usually only put him on a leash if I take him somewhere unfamiliar. Like in that picture he is at a park. I was going to post another of him at the beach (he's on a leash there as well), but I figured I'd spare everyone even more pictures lolol. He doesn't walk on it nearly as well as a dog would, but it allows him to go see new places and things without me being worried about him running off. Otherwise, if he's just going out around the house he gets a collar with a name and rabies tag and he's also microchipped.

I've heard of declawed cats still trying to sharpen their "claws" although I've never seen it in person. I suppose you could relate it to phantom limb, but it's seems like it's more of an instinctual behavior. Everything Stubby does with his paws isn't like he's trying to sharpen them though. He just likes to touch things, if that makes sense.
Declawed cats have lost their toes, but not their natural instincts. They do the best they can with what they have left. They still want to leave scent marks. My declawed (wasn't me!) kitty "sharpens" her claws on the ridge of the mattress. I make sure to leave a corner open for her when I make the bed. Her usual jumping places are covered in something that her front paws won't slip on.
I hadn't thought about him possibly trying to scent mark when he does those things. Totally forgot cats have scent glads in their paws. Good insight!

catb8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of it sounds pretty normal except the test jumping. I suspect he has pain in his back and legs that make him have trouble jumping. And the pain would be from the declaw, as it affects their whole gait and stance.

He probably has quite a bit of arthritis. You can help him by giving him massages, keep his weight down, and feed him a good quality wet diet. Sounds like he has a happy life with you, congratulations on being Chosen by him!
I would agree that he does have pain in his back legs. He fusses when being picked up no matter how careful you are about it - it's obvious it causes him pain. On good days he does love being held though. He likes to be walked around so he can see all the things at people level and he will purr like crazy. He also prefers to lay on his back which would make sense if his hips and knees bother him.

He's had trouble jumping the entire time I've had him, so I guess I just never really thought much of it. It's never gotten worse nor better. For the most part I've assumed that it was because of him being declawed and because he is simply a very large cat, so it's harder for him to be agile. He's not large as in fat, but just the size of him compared to an average cat. I believe he was 14-15 pounds the last time he was into the vet and literally none of that is fat. It's honestly hard to keep weight on him. We tried to switch foods once from the duck based (so pretty high fat) dry food we typically use to a lower fat food because Beebee was getting a little chubby, and he lost an alarming amount of weight so quickly that we had to switch right back.

I've figured that he probably has some arthritis. I never seem to remember to mention it the vet about it especially since he only ever has to go in once a year for his rabies vaccine and teeth cleaning. I do give him glucosamine and chondroitin supplements almost every day though. He's on a pretty much dry only diet at the moment besides the spoonful of canned Friskies I put his supplements in. Should I consider having him on a diet with more wet food and if so what kind? I can't afford to do an only wet diet, but I could at least give him more than he is getting now. Could his large size also be contributing to his arthritis? I know large dogs tend to be more prone to arthritis, hip dysplasia, ect,, so I suppose it would make sense if this was true for large cats as well.

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Show me the pics :D I never thought about taking the kitties to the beach lol...would they think it's the worlds biggest litter box o__o

catb8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited: