Strange growth on my cat...

jmills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! New to this forum thing but I'm desperate for some ideas! My cat has been going through a ton of issues lately.  He's 9 1/2 but was just diagnosed with diabetes, which, I didn't even know cats could get! He had ear mites a week ago because we just moved and now I've notice a weird growth on his back leg.  It's on his upper, outer thigh, kind of near the fold to where the leg meets the belly.  It's about pea size, very flat and smooth and red.  It's raised off his body just a slight amount but there is no hair in that spot so it's like it grew over the hair? Or idk.  Any thoughts as to what this might be? Should I take him to the vet? Have any of you seen a growth on your cat similar to this before? He doesn't seem to be bothered by it really, but when he finds it, he licks it like he's trying to get it off his body and then it'll bleed some.  Obviously cats tongues are kind of rough but I'm just a bit worried! 
Anyway, here is a picture of it, a little tough to see but any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When does he go to the vet next? I would definitely bring it up. You could send the picture to the vet that you are showing us, I would bet he could diagnose it . If it wasn't bleeding slightly or wasn't so red, I wouldn't be concerned, you need to have the vet at least see a picture of it. There are just too many things it could be, and it would put your mind at ease if it turns out to be nothing. All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Di an Bob! He does not have a scheduled appointment.  I've just spent several hundred dollars on vet items over the last month so I'm weary of making another vet trip but perhaps a call will work!  Thanks for your advise!

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you should have your vet take a look at it. Any kind of growth is best to have checked out when it's small and easily removed if need be. According to my vet, cats don't normally get as many benign growths as dogs. Most likely the vet will do a fine needle aspirate. This is were the dr will take a syringe with a small needle on it and stick it in the lump and pull some cells out and place them on a slide and look at the cells under a microscope. This is usually enough to get a good idea of what it is and it's usually quick and not very expensive.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if the diabetes has anything to do with this? Might it be some kind of yeast infection like humans with diabetes get?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Misterwhiskers.  I'm wondering the same thing.  He's kind of been all over the place health wise these last couple of months.  I'm wondering what's diabetes related and what's just coincidence.  I made an appointment for him next week so we'll see what they say.  It's been very stressful though not really knowing what's going on with him lately!