Strange growth coming out of cat's nose

erica22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, we have a stray that's been coming around for a few weeks now. She always seemed fine although a little scraggly, and she looked well two days ago, but today she showed up and has this weird growth coming out of one nostril, and it looks like something similar might be starting in the other one. She ate just fine but won't let me get close enough to get a good look at her. My husband and I are debating about trying a livetrap to see if we can catch her and get her to the vet.

When I first saw it I thought maybe she had something stuck to her fur but after looking at the pictures it looks like it's attached. I've been trying to Google possible information about it but couldn't find anything similar.

20240510_184138.jpg

20240510_184238.jpg

Anyone know what this might be and if we should try to catch her and get her to the vet?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Have never seen anything like that yes trap her and get her to the vet. I am told that KFC and mackerel are the best baits for traps. Also, covering the trap with a cloth makes it seem more cave like and safe to enter. Thank you for caring.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I don’t know what your situation is, but this cat is special, seeks you out for a reason. Have never seen markings quite like this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Admittedly you are the one looking at her, but from the pics, it doesn't seem to be coming directly out of her nostril, but rather right beside her nose. Although, it does look to be directly under her nose on the other side, and that does look like mucous. The fact that this showed up in such a short time would suggest to me that it is not really a growth per se. Is there anything in and around the area that she could have gotten into that is stuck to her?

Can you tell if she appears congested at all? That could be a sinus infection and an accumulation of thick mucous coming from her nose. I know you cannot touch her, but can you tell if this thing' jiggles or moves any?

You could consult with a vet and see if they have any ideas or have seen anything like it. But, the bottom line is you probably need to have her seen by a vet if at all possible. If you do that, are you thinking of taking her In afterward? I only say that because regardless of what may be going on with her, she seems like she could easily become a house cat. She is very pretty too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
today she showed up and has this weird growth coming out of one nostril, and it looks like something similar might be starting in the other one
Yes, I see what you you're talking about in the second nostril. It almost looks like some kind of foam but I wonder why it hasn't fallen off. Do you think she could have rubbed up against something and had a reaction to it? Please contact your vet ASAP and keep us posted. Good luck! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erica22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Admittedly you are the one looking at her, but from the pics, it doesn't seem to be coming directly out of her nostril, but rather right beside her nose. Although, it does look to be directly under her nose on the other side, and that does look like mucous. The fact that this showed up in such a short time would suggest to me that it is not really a growth per se. Is there anything in and around the area that she could have gotten into that is stuck to her?

Can you tell if she appears congested at all? That could be a sinus infection and an accumulation of thick mucous coming from her nose. I know you cannot touch her, but can you tell if this thing' jiggles or moves any?

You could consult with a vet and see if they have any ideas or have seen anything like it. But, the bottom line is you probably need to have her seen by a vet if at all possible. If you do that, are you thinking of taking her In afterward? I only say that because regardless of what may be going on with her, she seems like she could easily become a house cat. She is very pretty too.
It definitely looked like it was coming from her nose, but I'll take a second look tonight if she comes around. I do know we had roofers the other day as well, so maybe some piece of insulation got stuck? But I can't see how it didn't fall off while she was eating. Your suggestions makes sense though and I'll see if she'll let me get any closer to look again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erica22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well everyone, it seems this was a case of me getting intense anxiety (we lost several kitties to unusual health issues in the past few
years). It must have been a piece of insulation from the roofers' work or something else that was somehow stuck hard to her face, because it's gone! She is well and happy now that she's made me shave several years off my life with worry.

We have three indoor cats and don't really have much room inside for any more but we'll continue feeding her and showing her as much love as she'll let us. Unfortunately our town has a stray cat problem that we aren't able to solve on our own but we try to show them kindness when they visit.

Here's the Gray Lady, sans strange fluff stuck to her nose:
441252237_361063856951665_4403695511899892420_n.jpg