Strange fluid-filled cyst on throat

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry you don't have better news on Woody. Sending healing vibes to Woody and hugs to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobbijeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I'd let everyone know that Woody is doing GREAT! His radioactive iodine therapy was very successful. It turned out that Woody had bilateral thyroid tumors: the one on the left side of his neck that was mostly removed by surgery, plus one on the other side of his neck that had already spread far down into his chest cavity. Both tumors are now gone, except for a small area by the right thyroid, and that could just be scar tissue. Cancer cells had also travelled to his lungs (the vet said that this often happens if the tumor spread to the lymph nodes, which it had), but those spots have not grown/changed since his treatment; they are considered 'inactive'.

All of Woody's labwork has come back normal, so he doesn't need to be on any medication. And, another great thing: he's starting to have an easier time purring, so I'm hopeful that the nerve that was affected by his surgery has finally started to recover. He's getting back to being his old self!

I'm so glad that we decided to go ahead with this treatment. It was very expensive; I doubt that insurance would have been available to cover the cost because of Woody's age, anyway. Still, he's a member of the family, and I'm very grateful that we found a veterinary hospital that was able to take care of him.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear the good news about Woody! Positive thoughts and healthy vibes on the way for continued progress.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow -- I was beginning to dread the end of this thread!

Even though I KNOW in humans, thyroid malignancies are highly successfully treated!

I WAS SO RELIEVED to reach the end and see he is doing well!

KEEP IT UP, WOODY!

pooky19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I am in the UK. My cat is 14 and recently developed a large cyst in her throat. Trouble meowing, and deeper voice. She also seemed to choke at times.

the Vet said it is some kind of cyst. the blood work was ok, but her white cells a bit raised. They think the only option is surgery. They hardly do any radioactive iodine treatment here. We are in the dark ages and people do not spend such huge amounts of moneyin the UK, not as much money goes into animal care. Difficult decision. Don't want to puther through surgery she might not recover from.   Fluid aspirates so far show no cancer as such, but cystic fluid. Could be follicular. The position is the issue, as it is right on her throat near her larynx.   I have to get some more tests done, but am already wiped out financially. Terrible when it comes down to money. I had no insurance as she is my Mum's cat, and Mum passed away recently, so I took the cat on, and felt it would be cruel to rehome her.   

zoogrrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for posting all of this. I have a very similar situation and plan to print this out to take with me on my next visit to the vet.