strange experience

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there

I need some advice.

Last night I was messing around. Felt great. mood was good, been healthy, no problems. I was in my chair, and I kind of looked back at wilbur. but like looking down and backwards because he was meowing. hard to explain. my head was kind of upside down.

I got extremely dizzy. i thought for sure i was going to pass out. I pulled my head up, and it didn't go away. took about 10 full minutes before i felt like i wasn't going to pass out anymore.

ever since then, i've felt on the 'virge' of being dizzy. not badly, but enough so that i feel like i might tip over if i try to walk. I'm afraid to drive right now too.

It's been about 13 hours now since it happened. Should i be thinking about going to the ER? i don't feel sick in any other way except i feel like my equilibrium is messed up.

I don't want to go to the hospital unless it's a real emergency. I don't have insurance and JUST got my back debt paid off. should I wait it out?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really should get checked out. Not having insurance stinks, but it would be a good idea. Do you have a clinic around you at least where they can look at you?

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I just felt like the world was tilting for a few days. No other symptoms, except feeling a bit run down. DH finally convinced me to go to a clinic (I refused going to the ER) and here I had an ear infection which was throwing my balance off. A round of antibiotics and I was fine. The strange thing was I had no pain and no fever, I just felt dizzy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Since the dizziness has lasted so long, I think you should see a doctor. I would suggest a regular office visit or an urgent care center rather than the ER. that it's nothing serious.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kind of sounds like vertigo to me hun, and yes I would absolutely get checked out because it is ALWAYS better to be safe rather than sorry.

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vertigo?

of course i'm not a medical doctor though. I have a mild case of it, and only had a few attacks so far (less than once a year, maybe once every 2-3 years). The first one was the worst. It wasn't clinically diagnosed though. It's hard to describe but felt like my brain was spinning inside my skull and the skull is stationary.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think you should get checked out hun, it does sound like vertio but its better to be safe than sorry. I hope you feel better soon.xx

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.) The first time I had it, I was setting a laundry basket down on my bed. I got so dizzy that I laid down and put my hand over my eyes (because everything was spinning.) I could actually feel the nystagmus in my eyes, as they cycled back and forth. It only lasted a minute or two. It happened again a couple of hours later when I sat down in the computer chair. The room started spinning (nystagmus again) and I felt very nauseaus. I had my mom drive me to Urgent Care, and BPPV was the diagnosis. They gave me some exercises, I think they were called Epley Exercises. I did them faithfully for about a week, and haven't had any more episodes.

The husband of a gal I work with was diagnosed with the same problem, around the same time I was. He missed nearly 3 months of work, and was taking multiple medications (Antivert and Zofran), as well as doing the exercises, and attending physical therapy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_...tional_vertigo

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
several years ago, i had a middle ear thing - was a virus, they couldn't give me anything. anyway, if i turned my head to the right side [even while standing] i got extremely dizzy, to the point of nausea. it was just that side, & it eventually passed. had no other symptoms - felt fine, no fever, etc. i went to the doctor, [it was worst @ the library - you know, turning your head to read the book titles], & he diagnosed it. wasn't BPPV, tho.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My DH was an ER nurse before he retired, and he said Vertigo is quite common in women of a certain age, because one morning all I did was turn my head and suddenly the room started spinning uncontrollably and didn't stop until I straightened my head again. He went to the drugstore and got me some Meclazine (bonine) and I took and and it stopped. Have had a couple of friends with the exact same issue.

Not saying this is what you have because I also know people with the other issue mentioned, (don't know if you are a man or woman, what age you are, etc.), and THAT required special head exercises.

Best to have it checked out by a professional.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

My DH was an ER nurse before he retired, and he said Vertigo is quite common in women of a certain age, because one morning all I did was turn my head and suddenly the room started spinning uncontrollably and didn't stop until I straightened my head again. He went to the drugstore and got me some Meclazine (bonine) and I took and and it stopped. Have had a couple of friends with the exact same issue.

Not saying this is what you have because I also know people with the other issue mentioned, (don't know if you are a man or woman, what age you are, etc.), and THAT required special head exercises.

Best to have it checked out by a professional.
Fastnoc is a man, and I would guess he is on early to mid 40s... (sorry fastnoc
)

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had trouble with dizziness before and it was caused by an inner ear infection, but honestly from experience at the hospital it could be alot of things. I hope you get better soon.