Strange drinking behaviour

tobias gruber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 'kitten' (he's 5 month old and weighs almost 2kg) used to get dry and wet food, and I used to put some water over the dry food so he would get enough water. He stopped eating that tho a few days ago and doesnt really drink much, if anything, from his water bowl. Instead, he likes to lick the water from the bathroom floor. Why is that and what can I do to still supply enough water for him ? Is wet food only enough liquid for a cat that size ?

Thanks for the help,

Tobi

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Tobias,

First of all it's not a good idea to add water to dry food as it causes it to go moldy very quickly. You can add a bit of water to your kittens wet food if you want to increase his water intake.

Lots of cat like to lick wet floors or drink from a running tap. You could try giving him a variety of water bowls in different places. How about a shallow tray of water in the bathroom for him to drink from? Another think you could try is a water fountain. Most cats find running water more tempting than a bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobias gruber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input. I just mixed the dry food with water and scrambled it cuz my vet said the lil guy couldnt take the pure dry food yet and needed it to be soft .. he advised me to mix it under the wet food and make a lil knödel with it .. oh well, guess he's big enough now for the 'normal' way of eating.A fountain seems kinda sketchy-he runs away from any kind of running water - Ill try a more shallow bowl like the one I feed him his wet food with.

Thanks a lot, Tobi