Strange Dark Spot On Cat's Ear Suddenly

awittyname

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm hoping I could possibly get some advice about this or reassurance while I wait for my vet appointment next week, as it has me worried reading all this stuff about cancer.

My cat Eevee is 3 years old, she's an indoor cat and has never been outside, the only health issue she's suffered before was cystitis from stress as she's very timid and scared of other people/pets. Recently I noticed there was a strange dark mark on her ear, I only noticed it while she was sitting by the window as the light shines through making the skin translucent and I could see this dark spot that I'd never noticed before, and you can see it through both sides of the ear. It doesn't feel raised or different from her regular skin/fur to the touch to me, and there's no pain when I touch it.

I looked at a ton of old pictures and their dates and the spot wasn't there before a few months ago from what I can see. I've read online about possible cancer spots from UV exposure but she doesn't sunbathe on windowsills that often, and the it's rarely sunny here in Northern Ireland, although there was some sunny weather this year.

Has anyone encountered something like this before, and have any idea what it could be? I'll attach multiple pictures with the best angles/light I can get of the spot, and the best old pictures showing the ear that I can find in clear view. Should I be worried? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
personally i think a vet visit is always a good thing when we are unsure. Hopefully its just something like a freckle or age spot that has appeared? That would be my first guess, but i would want my vets opinion too! Best of luck to her, and do keep us updated with what your vet says. :crossfingers:

Macattacks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, was wondering if you found out what the cause of this was?

Just discovered an identical spot on my cat’s ear and waiting on vet appointment.

Catnoob80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve just discovered the same thing on my cat. Did you guys ever find out what it was?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catnoob80 Catnoob80 - The OP hasn't been on this site since 2018, so I don't expect you will hear from them. But your pic shows what looks more like a wound, not just a dark spot as was the case with the OP's cat. It could be from scratching/itchiness brought on by something as simple as a bug bite - or it could be allergy related, especially if you find other similar spots. If your cat goes outside, it could be from any number of sources.

Good that you have a vet appointment so it can be checked out!