Strange behaviour towards new kitten

katya2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and am looking for some help with my two cats.

We recently took on a rescue kitten and to begin with our 4 year old cat was not at all happy, but eventually seemed to accept him and started to play with him a lot and lick him.

Then, after a couple of months he has suddenly changed and mostly ignores the kitten. Occasionaly he will start to play, but within seconds starts hissing and snarling at him. He also sometimes starts to lick the kitten but again within seconds starts snarling and hissing.

Also my older cat will no longer play with me, and only shows affection when he wants food.

I thought they were beginning to get on so well and I am really sad at how my older cat is now.

I hope you can advise me

Thanks

Katya

itsnotpeanutbut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to be sure: are both cats neutered? If not, the issue might be that the older cat is sensing some sort of threat because the kitten's hormones are kicking in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katya2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yes both cats are neutered 

itsnotpeanutbut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In that case, I think the kitten is just starting to develop his personality (and right now that's the personality of a teenager) and the older cat doesn't like that personality.

Just like with humans, we can't expect cats to like everyone.

katya2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I get what you're saying but it concerns me that the older cat no longer wants to play at all and why does he make an attempt to play and lick the kitten but then turns aggressive. I wondered if the kitten had a strange smell about him or something? 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm wondering whether there is something amiss physically with your older boy.

It really wouldn't hurt to get him checked by the vet... Those kind of behavioural changes can be induced by pain or other physical discomfort.

katya2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks, this makes a lot of sense, but we have recently taken them both to the vets and all seems fine. I have brushed and massaged the older one to see if he is in any pain, but he does not appear to be. 

My guess is that it is some sort of psychological problem or there is something about the kitten that is stressing him out. 

He is just not the same cat any more and I  feel terrible to have made him unhappy by bringing the kitten in.

The kitten on the other hand seems ta have settled in fine, and although was a bit confused by the older ones change towards him, he now just gives him a bit of a wide berth most of the time.

Thanks for your help

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I forgot to ask.. how old is the kitten now?  Does he annoy your older boy? 

katya2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is coming up to 6 months old. Since the older one became aggressive towards him he pretty much leaves him alone now, although he does try now and again to play by jumping on him. As I say, the older one appeared happy to play at one time and even instigated play fighting.

s10fex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havr had this problem I tried my older cat with calming spot on its a pipette that you apply between the ears every week to help them destress