Strange behavior

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My Charlie has just started waking me up around 2 am and every 10 minutes until I get up.  He literally jumps on me and over onto the other side of the bed, and then jumps the other way until I can't take it anymore.  This started happening about a month ago, and let me tell you, I'm exhausted.  I started putting him in the basement, so I can go back to sleep.  He pushes things off my dresser and night stand to get my attention, and it relentless.  

I don't understand what the problem is.  Even if I get up to feed him, he comes back after eating and terrorizes me more.  His sister lays on my bed and just watches him.  I think even she is wondering what his malfunction is.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some sage advice from Jaxson Galaxy. He basically says to exercise your cat before you go to bed. His idea is to exercise it, then give it a short break and then exercise it again, then feed it and it will be ready to sleep. The short break is because cats have a lot of speed but no stamina so to really get them tired you do it twice personally, I've never had to do it twice).  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that Jackson makes some really good points, although, I have tried the last part of IGNORING
  My cat Charlie will tear any room apart and knock things off of everything, until I get up.  He will wreck my bedroom or kitchen within 30 minutes.  If I shut him out of my bedroom, he will bang and tear at the door, and proceed to knock everything off of the kitchen counter.  He evens pushes my alarm clock and lamp off the night stand.  I guess Charlie wins, I'm up every morning at 2:30 am and again around 5:00 am.  I feed him and he's quite for a little while, just enough time for me to fall back to sleep and then the horror begins again.

Anyone else have this problem?  It's not fun.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy sleeps on my bed next to me every night. He goes to his pillow (hijacked from me and I gotta buy a new one for meself :lol3:) around 11ish each night and sometimes around 10ish. He'll wake up usually between 3:30am - 4am and occasionally at 2:30am if he have been sleeping the whole day.

He'll wake me up to open the bedroom door for him to go out and he'll come back in at around 5am to ask me to feed him :lol3: I'm used to it already.

This is his nightly routine whether I play with him and tire him out or not. He's only 14 months old, full of energy!

paml

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has trained you well.  I had  a cat that did this, and she'd be put in another room at night with toys, her cat bed and played with until she wore out.  Dinner was at 10pm for her, then she'd sleep well. She was a very hyper bengal.

So I'd suggest also feeding him late too.  Play play play, feed and then sleep. If he starts up, out the door, close it and stay there. Put everything breakable away! Let him throw his tantrums. He will soon learn it doesn't get rewarded.   Do not talk to him while putting him out the door either.

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a brat! Perry would do this. The minute I begin to fade and drift into sleep he will literally fleet on my bed, jumps on and off. I too literally loose sleep as well because of this stunts he does. I would maybe try taping aluminum foil on your bed but he could be smarter than you think and goes around it. I will say, scolding, yelling, cursing doesn't have any effect whatsoever. I don't have any good tips or advice since my cat does similar things as well.

Maybe keeping him out of your bed? If he is being distractive in the night. I wonder if you could buy a large dog cage and then kennel him in the night? He's either an hyper cat or anxious or just simply a brat cat. Have you thought of adopting another cat for him to play with??

Jennifer

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tati doesn't break things, but she bites my nose- hard.  Not hard enough to break skin, but hard enough to get my attention... Tatiana partially wants treats, and partially she just  wants me to get up so the other cats will rouse themselves in hopes of being fed and she will have someone to play with.  The other part is that my daughter usually has to go to work about 4:00 a.m. and so Tatiana thinks well the other one left, you better go ahead and get up now too.  She just like to have humans to watch her play. 

Theodore is my touch me not kitty ... right up until 2:30 or 3:00 am at which point he decides he needs to come in and rub his furry little body all over my face.  It starts out innocent enough where he will just put his head in my hand - oh if only he could stop there. It would be okay too if you could pet him a couple times and he would curl up next to me and cuddle - I could get quite used to that.  But no, he doesn't want you to touch him.  He, on the other hand, wants to touch you with every part of his scrawny little body - purring to beat the band, pacing in and out of arms reach.  Grab him and try to hold him still and he will catapult himself off one side of the bed only to sneak back up the other side moments later.  He even worms his way through the crack between the headboard and the mattress.