Strange behavior when playing?

my_mittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there!

So, I have been wondering what this is for a long time. I have no idea if it's a normal cat behavior, or if she's just plain strange (or possessed? lol)? I don't think there's anything wrong with her, as she's done this ever since she was a little kitten, and she's now 2 yrs old. It's also only done when she's playing. It's this really odd, 'head twist/flip' thing she does. When I explained to someone else, they were convinced it was an ear infection from my description, and it's not that at all! It's only when she's playing, and she just sort of flails her head around. I took a video so you can see what I mean. She does it a few times.
You can also see her randomly biting the couch (another thing she does when she plays. This cat's so strange. lol

Thank you for any insights!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew before l saw the video what she was going to be doing from your description

My Rosie has done that for the 9 years that i've had her and l laugh everytime. It's just now and again when she's playing, but the time she does it the most is when l move my hand under the duvet and she goes to grab it. It usually ends up with her bunny kicking afterwards as well.

Your little girl is perfectly normal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_mittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks guys! Good to know that it's normal!
I swear, she looks so possessed when she does it! lol. Sometimes, she'll REALLY get into it, and that head will flail around for 5-8 times as she's clinging to the arm of the couch! We all can't help but to crack up at her! We just figured she was a weirdo.
I swear, this cat's antics always keep me guessing, haha. Thanks for letting me know!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by My_Mittens

Sometimes, she'll REALLY get into it, and that head will flail around for 5-8 times as she's clinging to the arm of the couch!
Yes, exactly like my Rosie. I usually tell her her head will drop off if she's not careful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_mittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hehe, that's awesome! And you can't help but laugh at them!
I'm glad Mittens isn't the only one that does it! Every other cat owner I've talked to has looked at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain it to them!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's odd how some do things and some don't, because Sophie and Jack have never done it?.

Even though Rosie is 9 now, when she does it it's like she's turned back into a kitten again

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL yup perfectly normal - I consider that the goofy "I am SO gunna get that!" excited move.

My boy also does a little head wiggle - when he is CRAZY excited... very fast little wiggle back and forth.

I love when kitties are that excited when they are playing that they almost can't control their goofyness.