Strange Behavior Between Two Cats

dmarmar012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, one who I've had since he was born (Scout) and the other (Archer) who is Scout's litter mate, he ended up living with a family friend for a while. Long story short, I ended up getting Archer back and now the two brothers have been living with me for about two weeks now. The thing is they seem to get along, sleeping throughout the day and then play fighting and running around at night. If you'd see them around each other you would easily agree they look like they get along great. Recently however, in the past few nights, Scout will be holding an item in his mouth and start growling and hissing at Archer. He'll try to hide away from Archer and continue hissing and growling for a while. Tonight i noticed while Scout was having one of these sessions again his hair started to raise a bit too. I'm confused, do they like each other or not? they seem to get along fine except for when Scout gets in these random 'protective fits', He's never done anything like this before. I'm wondering if maybe Scouts unhappy because it isn't just me and him anymore?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like Archer is trying to get what Scouts has and Scouts doesn't want to share. With my cats, Rocket does that with lizards and mice that, ironically, Fury brings her. He brings it in the house (bad kitty!) And drops it at Rockets feet then she gets super protective about whatever it is. Luckily Fury is fine just watching her play with it while I try to get it out of the house.

If you know what Scouts has maybe getting a duplicate so Archer isn't trying to get it too will help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmarmar012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Luckily, Scout tends to hoard slippers so there is more than one already that I can try out and see if that works :)