Strange aggressive issue... not.. sure if it is or what

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the Original Post

I've been watching them interact for a while, and have noticed a few things. If resident cat (who is half the size of new cat) is laying somewhere completely still, she won't go after him. She totally ignores him. However, as soon as he starts moving, she attacks, fur flies, nails come out, there's hissing and spitting and growling and poofing. New kitties eyes are dilated and her tail flicks real fast. She's in aggressive mode.

Resident kitty just wants to be left alone. he doesn't start a flight, he doesn't really even look at her, though if she gets near him he will growl as a warning. He doesn't try to hit her, or anything. But she's deaf, so she can't hear his warning.

She doesn't have a negative reaction to his smell, and he just moves away from anything that has her smell on it.

So I'm not sure what this is?

Because... really, she doesn't seem to care if he doesn't move, but as soon as he moves she pounces.

what's up with that?

Also, she's not peeing in her box, which I didn't realize until today. I had a sweater on the floor that WAS on the chair and she peed on that, pooped there too, but the pee is the worse. UGH.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first item of business is the pee. It is frequently a sign of illness. Have you seen a vet to rule out UTI?

Someone with a deaf cat correct me if I'm wrong but could the reason she's attacking only when there's movement be an overcompensation for not being able to hear? By this I mean, her ability to hunt is limited by not being able to hear prey so is she overly sensitive to movement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet as soon as I got her. He checked her out and said she seemed okay.

She does pee, just not in the box, well this morning I checked and there was pee in it. But her poo is REALLY ... like.. mushy. And there's a LOT of it. Course, I've always had small cats so maybe this is why i think it's a lot, but... it's a lot.. and she doesn't seem to cover like all my other cats have done.

Strange yes?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even with an initial vet check a UTI may have sprung up. One of the best ways to tell if your cat has a UTI is if they're suddenly peeing in inappropriate places, especially if that is uncommon for them. The only was to be certain is to go in for a check up. Is the soft stool common for her or is that new too? It also suggests there could be a medical problem.

It's really common for cats to have a medical problem that creates a behavioral problem. Cats hide illness very well so before you can effectively address behavior you have to rule out medical.

It could be there there's an underlying health problem that's triggering the behavior you're seeing. Cats act strange when they're sick. Often they may eat as much as normal, play as much as normal but act out illness in other ways.

Say that the attacks on your other cat are a behavioral issue and that the urination is a medical issue. You'll have much better success curbing the behavioral problems once the medical problems are under control. It's entirely possible that this is all behavior but if there is a medical problem you're less likely to change behavior until it is resolved.

I hope this helps!

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't know if the poo and the peeing in strange places is new, because SHE is new. I just got her about 3 weeks ago, and her potty behavior is much different from my other cats (I've had 5 in the past)

I know that when my cat had diabeties and my other cat had kidney issues, they peed in strange places, but, like you said they were very sick, and I'd had them for 6 years or longer (the diabetic I'd had for about 20 years) so I knew their patterns and behavior.

I don't know this kitty's behavior. She was in a one cat house for 7 years, then given to a foster until I took her 4 months later. She was thrust into the foster house with 6 other cats! I seriously don't blame her for being wigged out.

I've started the towel thing with both their scents on it, and placing the food and water by the door (my resident kitty loves his water) but they end up pulling the towel haha. I'm hoping this gets them more used to one another, but honestly, resident kitty just wants to be left alone. He doesn't seem interested in anyway to start anything with her. He creeps up to her and they sniff, but as soon as he starts to run away, she pounces and chases.

Maybe I'll call the vet to see if he can do a full write up or something...

I'm not sure.

Course, now I'm going on vacation on the 17th, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with them. I can't have her in her room for a week. I was going to take them to my parents house. My grandmother LOVES cats, but my Mom doesn't so doesn't want one in her house. My grandmother lives in an attached in law apartment in the basement and New Kitty LOVES going down there and sitting with her and sitting in her lap which makes my grandmothers day (and makes my grandmother much nicer and easier to deal with, so win win) but if she's peeing in strange places, I can't bring her over there. My Mom wouldn't like that.

I had thought if we keep Resident kitty upstairs, who's just going to hide under the couch, and New Kitty downstairs with my grandmother, trying to keep the door closed as much as possible, it might be okay...

I dunno though

Thoughts?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm partial to hiring a pet sitter since that's what I do for a living! Your cats can stay in your home and the sitter will come to you. That way, your routine will stay in place. Chances are good that if you take them somewhere else then bring them back you may have to start introductions all over again at the beginning. On the other hand, that may actually help them get along better. It's hard to say.

I'm not sure where you're located but if you want to hire a pet sitter in the US you can go to Pet Sitter's International's web site and enter your zip code to find sitters in your area.

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think waht I'm going to do is reintro them but slower this time. Since her scent is in that room right now, I'm going to let Cail get used to it while Meda's at my parents house. She's there this weekend cause I won't be home and I can't have her confined to a room that's mean. Then After vacation I'm going to take it reeeally slow.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That might be for the best. It sounds like you've got a delicate situation on your hands. I wish some of the posters on the forums who have deaf cats would weigh in on their experiences for you. I can't offer much help there.