Straining, laying in the litter box but then has a normal pee

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

May cat has had a very stressful year thus far due to surgeries/medical issues. He had PU surgery at the end of February. He is almost 13. I have recently found him laying in his litter box at times. On other occasions I will see him posture to pee but not produce anything. However, he does eventually go pee and they are normal sized - no blood, etc.. He is also hiding more than usual. I took him to the vet and they said the PU site looks fine, and they have no concerns on physical exam and his blood work is normal… is it possible that this is from stress? 😩

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
cystitis is stress induced, so quite possible. Do you give him corn silk extract or d-mannose? This FB group has a huge amount of information, and people with loads of experience with urinary issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given what you described, ask the vet about an anti-spasmodic. That can help to relax the muscles and better enable peeing. Also, discuss anti-inflammatories too. Both of these may be mentioned in the link above related to stress-induced cystitis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much. I have ordered the corn silk extract and d-mannose and hope they will help him!

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much. I have ordered the corn silk extract and d-mannose and hope they will help him!
My 13 year old boy is going through the exact same thing. My vet thinks he has stress cystitis and I'm trying to find him some relief. Did you have any success with the cork silk and D mannose?

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old boy is going through the exact same thing. My vet thinks he has stress cystitis and I'm trying to find him some relief. Did you have any success with the cork silk and D mannose?
Hey! My boy also had UTI in December. After 3 visits to the vet, i started giving him d mannose along with the pain relief. On the second day he went back to normal. I am still waiting for my cornsilk extract which should be here soon.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! My boy also had UTI in December. After 3 visits to the vet, i started giving him d mannose along with the pain relief. On the second day he went back to normal. I am still waiting for my cornsilk extract which should be here soon.
I'm glad he's feeling better! How much D mannose are you giving him? I gave it to my boy and it upset his stomach quite a bit.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's feeling better! How much D mannose are you giving him? I gave it to my boy and it upset his stomach quite a bit.
i am giving him 1/4 teaspoon a day or 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. Check if you can mix it with fortiflora.