Story behind your cats name

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ive already posted how my babies got their names but reading everyone else's made me think of my favorite blogger and how she named her kitty. it makes me think of how we acquired patchy and how we learned her name.

if you read it, bring tissues. just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archive...1.php#comments

i hope no one thinks im spamming or anything; i just love the story

meow_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hermione: We are Harry Potter fans and the name fit.
Ginny: It matched with Hermionie's name and it fit her for some reason.

Before we thought of names we called them the black one and the grey one

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wesley: I was trying to come up with a name for him and was watching a movie and the character's name was Wesley and I thought that was cute.
Sox: Well, we are big Red Sox fans!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arwen - named after the Lord of the Rings character, and also because her ears look like elves ones (according to my dad
)

Shark - Because she bites your ankles/thumbs/fingers when she is hungry.

Brandy - The parents named him, us kids here didn't have any choice in that one!

jambermush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dave - When we found him as a stray he was this chilled out old man that acted like he was stoned all the time...Dave just sounded right & he responded to it straight away. Mind you he also walked in our house like it had been his home for the last 10 years!

Bingo - The first pet my partner and I got together. When we first met, everywhere we went they were having a Bingo night, and we kinda became a laughing stock because of it. There was just no other name!

Critter, Gremlin & Gizmo - The 3 feral kittens we reared last year. They were PURE EVIL at just 5 weeks!

Donut - Our British Blue baby - very chubby, & not the brightest bulb in the box! My 10 year old stepson named him & he sort of grew into the name!

missynlulus-mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My ex husband decided I could get a kitten as long as it was a girl as every male cat he ever had sprayed, so we went to look at a litter of 6 week old kittens and I fell in love with a buff tabby that I was pretty sure was a boy (it's kind of hard to tell at that age) and the lady who owned the mother cat (a half wit who let her cats breed out of control) said it was a girl too so I grabbed him and said I was going to call him Lulu.

Well Lulu learned his name and responds to it really well, so four years later I have a big, sooky Tomcat called Lulu. I get a few raised eyebrows at the vet but I am used to it.

My ex was totally in love with Lulu by the time it got obvious he wasn't a girl.

rolenta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hester is named after a professor at the university my husband and I were both attending when we got her. Ridley is named after a dragon from the video games series Metroid.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matilda - When I adopted her, I had a list of potential names. Matilda was on the list because it's the name of my favorite childhood book/character (the book is by Roald Dahl). My SO didn't know this, but he jokingly suggested the name when we were trying to decide. I told him I was thinking of it too, and she just looks like a Matilda. She had a previous name, I think from a previous owner or maybe the shelter changed it. It didn't fit her. I like that we could call her "Mattie" as a nickname because (a) she always looks mad and (b) her hair is long and is therefore prone to matting.

Chloe - we just liked the name. My SO really liked the name Zoe (he tried naming Matilda that too). I really liked the name Sophie. We compromised and chose a name similar to both that we both liked...Chloe. It fits her spunky little personality. We actually usually call her Witty though. I wish I had a better story behind the name Chloe but I don't.

Other cats in my life....

Roo - This is my dad & step-mom's 10-year-old cat that they've had since he was 2. They adopted him at the humane society, I don't know if Roo was his original name. If not, then my step-mom probably named him that after Roo from Winnie the Pooh. I have no idea.

Ivy - This was my mom & step-dad's cat that we had from the time I was in middle school until just after I graduated from college. This was her name at the shelter, I suspect that she had been there since Christmas (we adopted her in April). It's not a name I would have picked but we didn't change it.

Diadora - This was a kitten that we only had for a week. I was in middle school and a girl on my younger sister's soccer team had a cat that had kittens. Diadora was one of the kittens. She was a cute little black and white kitten. I don't remember the details because it was so long ago, but somehow Diadora was hit by my mom's car as she was parking in the garage. We rushed her to the emergency vet but she was just so tiny that there wasn't any hope.
Diadora is a brand of soccer clothing / products.

Calvin (& Hobbes) - Calvin was only my cat for a few days, but now the 2 of them live with my friend's parents. I think they are about 8 now. Anyway, they are named after the comic.

Lucky - my dad's older cat from a while ago. "Lucky" because was hiding on a tire of a car and didn't get killed when the car was leaving the parking spot.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary-named after my beloved grandmother who passed away.
Cleo-ex husband thought he looked like a Cleo.
Seldon-My daughter was reading a book by an author named Seldon and named him that.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Morgan is named after Captain Morgan rum (never let a friend name your cat but it fit so meh)
and Luna is named after Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter!

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I live close to Disneyland, and I am there ALOT (members in our family call Disneyland our "playground"), we wanted to name our cats Disney names.

Since my brother LOVES both Disneyland and trains, he wanted to name his cat that combines the two. RIPLEY is the name of my brother's favorite train at Disneyland. It just so happens that it was Walt's favorite train as well.

CALI is named for the other Disney theme park, California Adventure. Somethimes we call her Cali An because Disneyland is in Anaheim. And when she is in trouble, we say "Cali An, what Adventrues are you getting into now."

Right now I am a HUGE fan of C.S. Lewis, especially his series THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA. Because of this, if and when I get more cats, I would like to name them after characters from the books. These are some of the names I would like to name them: Aslan, Narnia, and Thumnus. There are others, but I cant think of them right now. But they have to "look" like the names in order for me to name them the names. I was going to name Cali Aslan, but she is a she and not a he. And besides, she doesn't look like an Aslan anyway. So she is Cali. A name that suits her PERFECTLY!!!!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hatchet: He got his name because of the hatchetman,Psyhcopathic Records logo.I said the next pet rat I would get was being named Hatchet.Turned out,I got this kitten before another rat and so I named him Hatchet.My daughter calls him "Patchet" and "Patchetman".

Benjamin : I named him that because thats my favorite male name.He was actually called Ratchet (to go with Hatchet) at first.But after a few days I realized Ratchet really didn't suit him.After some thought,Benjamin kept coming to mind and it seemed to suit him and so it stuck.

smiffygans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peek-A-Boo was named after the song of the same name by the band Devo. xD Peeki used to haaaaaate that song when he was little, he'd flick his tail and get very angry if he heard it, it was the cutest thing ever, and it just stuck.

Skittles...well my sister named her, so..

bookworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two Siberians, a male and female, both black with big green eyes. They are former breeding cats with names that we felt didn't suit them, so after they came to live with us they got new more "appropriate" names. The female cat's name was easy, Koshka, which is female cat in Russian. She was imported from Russia when she was 6 months old.

The male was a bit more of a challenge until my husband remembered a Russian movie that we had seen at the Wisconsin Film Festival, "Since Otar Left." Our male now had a name, Otar.

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JuJu got her name because she was dumped in a Wendy's garbage to die with a broken leg. JuJu means Spirit of a Supernatural Charm in West Africa. I called her that because she needed all the luck the heavens could bring to survive from such a fatal blow to her life. She is a true good luck charm!

einseidle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I named my two male cats (Izzy and Pinky) after my favorite musicians: violinists Itzak Perlman and Pincus Zuckerman, who are known as Izzy and Pinky to their friends.

hermione2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^_^ New kittens with names...lol

Charlie - Named after Charlie Eppes on Numb3rs because I was watching Numb3rs when it fell asleep in my hands. (older kitten)

Beethoven - (week old!) Named after Ludwig van Beethoven, my favorite composer. Seriously considering naming the other two after composers...perhaps Mozart and Bach? lol