Storm warning, Los Angeles Flooding...

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least he didn't slamm his head into the window! He'd be ready for the klutz thread then.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saty safe down there in Southern CA.

I'm in central CA and we are getting it bad as well (no tornadoes yet) with more of a heavier system coming in for tomarrow and Monday (up to or more than 2 inches possible). At least the reseviors are getting filled up and the air is clean. No real damage here except local flooded streets and potholes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talon, I sure hope so. When I brought the food in, it was almost gone. That's unusual for my usual feral girl, so I think Tux was really, really hungry...so I've got to figure out how to feed with a shelter of some sort.

Here's the latest forecast for the next few days:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The heavy rain on Sunday night and Monday could bring an additional 1 to 3 inches across coastal and valleys areas... with 3 to 6 inches in the foothills and mountains. Additional showers and thunderstorms could bring some local heavy rainfall amounts Monday night and Tuesday. Overall rainfall totals (from Thursday February 17 through
Tuesday February 22) are expected to range from 4 to 10 inches across coastal and valley areas... with 10 to 18 inches expected in the foothills and mountains. Local amounts over 20 inches will be possible.

This upcoming storm system will once again bring the threat of strong thunderstorms. These storms will be capable of very heavy downpours...gusty winds... and small hail. In addition... conditions will be favorable for waterspouts and small tornadoes.

Significant flash flooding will be very possible Sunday night and Monday... since the ground is already completely saturated. Water levels in stream channels are already high and many hillsides have been weakened.

Mudslides and debris flows will continue to be a major threat through Tuesday as well. The mudslide potential will be highest in and below the recently burned areas... but all residents living on or near hillsides or mountain slopes should be prepared for possible
mudslides and debris flows. Mudslides... debris flows or Rockslides may occur at any time... even during periods with little or no rain falling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yikes.

The thunder booms continue as well as the rain. We had some hail today, but I was at the office, so I didn't see it. My 85 year old neighbor, however, told me all about it (I check on her twice daily). According to her, the world is over, and we should also expect massive earthquakes and significant, rampant rioting by noon tomorrow. I promised I'd come over should there be rioting, but not to put out ice cream just yet...

It's gonna get nastier before it gets done with...

Just for reference, here are the Top 10 wettest years for Los Angeles:
1. 1883-1884 38.18
2, 1889-1890 34.84
3. 1977-1978 33.44
4. 1940-1941 32.76
5. 1982-1983 31.28
6. 1997-1998 31.01
7. 2004-2005 28.49
8. 1968-1969 27.47
9. 1992-1993 27.36
10. 1979-1980 26.98

Our current total is:
Rainfall total for the 2004-2005 rain season to 28.49 as of 10 pm. If this storm is as heavy as it seems to be, we will close in on the wettest year on record. And as I type this, thunder booms and rain pelts down...again.

And yes, when I remembered to use my umbrella today, the darn thing broke.

Best-
Michele

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

What a day for your umbrella to break, Michele! Please stay safe!
No kidding. Oh well...I have another. It's just not one of those folding ones. It's just ironic that I managed to remember to use it (rather than running around like a drowned rat), and it broke. LOLOL, I think I need to invest in some hats.

So, I was checking out some discussion about the storm, and found this phrase...
"where local rainfall rates over one half inch per hour have been observed. Due
to training storm cells over the Basin...A flood advisory was issued."

O.K., what are we "training" these storms to do? They're very very VERY good at raining already!!!

Here's the "NOW" satellite shot: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsw.html

See the storm sitting right there? That's the wallop we're expecting.

Here it is colorized: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR3.html

Best-
Michele

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must say that I'd rather stay home tonight than go to work. It seems like this storm should hit about the time I have to leave for work. I'd also rather be at home than all alone in that building all night long while this storm hits. We have a huge old tree that hangs over my office and I always get scared that the big old tree is going to fall. I'm going to make sure I don't park my car under that big tree tonight.