Store Screwed Up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a big problem for me was thinking it was going to be a confrontation. It wasn't at all. I was very polite and friendly asking about delivery and she responded in kind. It's a lesson I will keep in mind going forward. I have a bad habit of assuming the worst possible scenario will happen. This whole ordeal may have actually helped me to be braver and more optimistic all at once! :)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I feel I should complain to them about it, but I'm such a coward. Seriously, in difficult situations my voice starts shaking and I start to tear up. My whole body shakes actually. I don't even know how I would word it to ask for a discount or something.
So you guys do agree with me that this is something to be upset about? I thought maybe I was being overdramatic.
Having worked customer service many years, I can tell you that screaming, cursing, and calling names gets minimal cooperation. Remain pleasant but firm. State the problem and then tell them what you want done about it. In this case, a 5% discount on the purchase, a $50 gift card (depending on the amount spent), or delivery of the right item are not unreasonable requests. I preface my request with, "What are you going to do to make me happy?" Or, "How are we going to fix this so we're both happy?" Then I wait to see what they offer. It might be more than what I was expecting. If I don't like it, I tell them what I want. You don't have to get angry or anxious. You're simply telling them what you want, much as you told them what furniture you wanted. If what they offer isn't what you want, pleasantly but firmly ask to speak to someone higher who may be able to authorize what you want. Keep working up the ladder if you need to. Don't make threats or say you'll never do business there again. That gives them nothing to lose. You'd be surprised how much more you get if you're nice, but firm.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Proud of you,weebeasties! And also of everyone who advised you here. This is what the best of an internet forum looks like. I am glad to be amongst you all.