Store Screwed Up

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm annoyed. I was very excited to finally purchase a bedroom dresser and chest today. The salesman got the items from the stockroom and helped load them on our truck. (They are in boxes and VERY heavy.)
When we got home and started to unload, I look at the item description on the box and see that he loaded the wrong dresser.
I immediately called them and they said to bring it back tomorrow and they will exchange for the correct one.
I realize we all make mistakes, but this is an extra 60 mile round trip in my old gas guzzler truck. It is costing me money and I didn't even get an apology.
Would it be wrong of me to ask for something for the inconvenience? Like a $10 gift card for their store or something? How would I even ask for that? I'm not good at confrontation.
I guess I should just let it go. It just hurts that I agonized for months over whether to spend money for this purchase and now it has ended with me paying even more.
Sigh...well it made me feel better to vent. And the bright side is tomorrow I will have my very first brand new dresser and chest. :D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm annoyed. I was very excited to finally purchase a bedroom dresser and chest today. The salesman got the items from the stockroom and helped load them on our truck. (They are in boxes and VERY heavy.)
When we got home and started to unload, I look at the item description on the box and see that he loaded the wrong dresser.
I immediately called them and they said to bring it back tomorrow and they will exchange for the correct one.
I realize we all make mistakes, but this is an extra 60 mile round trip in my old gas guzzler truck. It is costing me money and I didn't even get an apology.
Would it be wrong of me to ask for something for the inconvenience? Like a $10 gift card for their store or something? How would I even ask for that? I'm not good at confrontation.
I guess I should just let it go. It just hurts that I agonized for months over whether to spend money for this purchase and now it has ended with me paying even more.
Sigh...well it made me feel better to vent. And the bright side is tomorrow I will have my very first brand new dresser and chest. :D
The first words out of my mouth after I heard "bring it back" would have been. "Who is paying for the gas for me to do that?" They should have offered to pick the wrong one up and deliver the right one. I'd call them as soon as they open up and ask if they can deliver it. If they say no, let them know that this was not your error and you should not have to pay for correcting their mistake. Is this a chain furniture store? If so and they give you a hard time, contact corporate. If it were me, I'd be hitting them up on Twitter (I don't do Facebook). I'd be getting something back from someone for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I feel I should complain to them about it, but I'm such a coward. Seriously, in difficult situations my voice starts shaking and I start to tear up. My whole body shakes actually. I don't even know how I would word it to ask for a discount or something.
So you guys do agree with me that this is something to be upset about? I thought maybe I was being overdramatic.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys. I feel I should complain to them about it, but I'm such a coward. Seriously, in difficult situations my voice starts shaking and I start to tear up. My whole body shakes actually. I don't even know how I would word it to ask for a discount or something.
So you guys do agree with me that this is something to be upset about? I thought maybe I was being overdramatic.
I'll do it. No problem. :biggrin:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first words out of my mouth after I heard "bring it back" would have been. "Who is paying for the gas for me to do that?" They should have offered to pick the wrong one up and deliver the right one. I'd call them as soon as they open up and ask if they can deliver it. If they say no, let them know that this was not your error and you should not have to pay for correcting their mistake. Is this a chain furniture store? If so and they give you a hard time, contact corporate. If it were me, I'd be hitting them up on Twitter (I don't do Facebook). I'd be getting something back from someone for sure.
Yes, it's a chain store and they do deliver. I had decided to pick it up myself to save on the delivery charges. Silly me.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a chain store and they do deliver. I had decided to pick it up myself to save on the delivery charges. Silly me.
It might help if you wrote out exactly what you want to say to them and then just read that letter to them over the phone. Have a general script of what you want and how you feel about it. Nicely but to the point. I find that helps me when making difficult phone calls.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you made me laugh out loud! Maybe I can get my courage up to say something. Thanks everyone.:D
Here's what you do.

Write down what you want to say. Let them know that this is not your mistake to correct. It is theirs. In all fairness, they may not have even realized that it would be such a long drive for you. Just let the manager know this and ask if they are willing to deliver it since they messed up the order. I doubt that they will say no since they have already acknowledged their error. If they say no, gently remind them of this. If they still refuse to deliver the correct item and take back the wrong one, let them know that you will pick it up but you WILL be discussing your displeasure with their lack of customer service with corporate. When/if you need to contact corporate, send them an email via their website. I would also comment on either their Facebook or on their twitter because many, many people are going to see this and they do not want that. They will do something in the way of giving you a partial refund (best) or a gift certificate (meh). Personally, I'd go for the partial refund if they offer anything.

You can do this. I believe in you. :cheerleader:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely call them and tell them that they made a mistake. Since they have delivery, ask them to deliver the correct dresser (free, of course, since it was their mistake, not yours). They can pick up the wrong dresser at that time as well. As N nansiludie suggested, write it all down before you call them. You might want to even practice what you're going to say (since you get anxious at confrontation); it shouldn't be that bad, though, over the phone.

If they're willing to do that, I'd say you're paid in full for their error (I might be the only one who thinks that). But if they agree to deliver the correct dresser free of charge, at least they're willing to acknowledge their mistake.

Oh, I'd call them, too, if it happened to me! I have no problem trying to rectify errors. (OTOH, I have no problem writing Thank You notes and emails when things go right, too.)

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
So I followed everyone's advice and called. The wait for them to deliver the correct dresser would be 5 days so I am returning it myself but the manager is going to give me 10% off to cover my gas. That's better than I expected and the manager was very nice.
A BIG Thank You to all of you who encouraged me to speak up about this. I really appreciate your excellent advice. :thanks::rock:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all the others have said here. Customer service is really the only thing businesses have to sell. People can go elsewhere to buy or bank or whatever. So your conversation definitely needs to be with a manager. They need to know so they can handle it in a way to satisfy you and also manage their employees. Heck, we met four friends from out of town at a local restaurant to have some time together. It was one of the nicer places in our town to eat. My husband kept getting dirty silverware, although it was wrapped in a nice cloth napkin. He finally got some he could eat with. No scene was made. The next day I called, asked for a manager, told her what had happened and that my husband handled it very discreetly. She took my name, address and said she would be sending me something in the mail. When it came it was an envelope with five $20 tickets to eat again in their restaurant. She was very appreciative that I had taken the time to call and report the incident. So consider it that you are doing the business a favor by letting them know so they can improve their service in the future.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATE
So I followed everyone's advice and called. The wait for them to deliver the correct dresser would be 5 days so I am returning it myself but the manager is going to give me 10% off to cover my gas. That's better than I expected and the manager was very nice.
I'm late to the party, sorry I just saw your post but agree with everyone and glad you followed through with their advice. Don't be too hard on yourself, many people are not comfortable with confrontation. :hugs: I hope you enjoy your new dresser!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATE
A BIG Thank You to all of you who encouraged me to speak up about this. I really appreciate your excellent advice. :thanks::rock:
Nice! I knew you could do it!! :clap::hugs:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job!

I think blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 has nailed it. It used to be that if things weren't quite right, you just put up with it because it was "impolite" to "make a stink". I've always disagreed with that. You don't have to be mean or nasty, but giving a message of "hey, this wasn't right for these reasons" with the underlying tone of "for future improvement" has gotten me many a thank you from a manager or waiter. They need to know immediately, not be blindsided somewhere down the line with a complaint out of the blue.