Stopping unwanted scratching

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I have decided that its time to get a new couch, however we worry about Emma's inappropriate scratching. How can I deter this? Or are there any guards or anything we can use? We have tried scratching posts and she is not a fan. 

We have been offered two leather couches and she would destroy them VERY quickly. 

I do clip her claws but its not enough to help. 

Just for Informations sake ... I DO NOT believe in declawing, and we really do not want to try claw caps. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I hear you when you say your cat is not a fan of scratching posts but wanted to double check that you know about all the options.   Different cats have different preferences:  horizontal, angled, vertical or attached to the wall.  They may also prefer different materials:  cardboard, carpet or sisal rope.  This article might help:
[article="0"]Problem Scratching And How To Stop It  [/article]
You might also try clicker training to train your cat to use the post.  Here's an article that gives instructions but there are also books available on the subject - check amazon for a selection.

http://www.lfpl.org/how-to/pdf/how-to-clicker-train-your-cat.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have tried a few options, she is a vertical scratcher , I have tried carpet, those hanging cardboard ones, and a few others but she is just not a fan.

As for clicker training, I did have Emma trained at one point but my boyfriend does not believe in training cats so it became an issue. I no longer work with Emma on any kind of training.

I am considering trying cat nip sprays go attract her attention next time I get a scratcher.

cisforcookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know not all cats are the same but I have noticed that sometimes it takes my cats a bit of time to start using a new scratching post .They will ignore it for a few days or even a week or two then suddenly start using it. I don't know if it  smells like some chemical from the manufacturing or if there is some other reason for it. But even with catnip sometimes it takes awhile.

I have noticed that my cats like the Corrugated Cardboard posts and usually don't like sisal posts although the do like the smart cat ultimate scratching post.

I have two couches in my living room and I keep a scratching post next to each of them. One small corrugated cardboard one next to one and the ultimate scratching post next to the other.  I also have a couple other scratches in different rooms in the house. My cats use their scratching surfaces  not the couches or other furniture. :)  I am not sure you would have the space to do that but it might help. They also sell two sided tape in pet stores that is supposed to help keep cats from scratching. Just be patient and keep trying. :) hope you find something that helps.

Here are links to  scratching posts/surfaces my cats use.  (if you prefer shopping in stores (sometimes petco and petsmart sell scratches buy one get one 50% off. Also I am not sure if you have a marshalls, tjmaxx or home goods with a pet supply section near you but sometimes they have some really nice corrugated scratchers  for decent prices.)  

I hope you find something that helps. That article that Margd sent has great advice too.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...-and-boards/you-and-me-loveseat-cat-scratcher