Stopping Door Darting Behavior

Edleen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my new kitten for a week now and she is kept in my room until I move back into my dorm next month. She keeps darting out the door whenever I open it and I am afraid that she'll do the same when I go back to my dorm next month. I don't want her darting out the door and running into an elevator, someone else's room, or of the outside doors are open then running down the stairs outside. I am tying to stop the behavior now so it would be easier to maybe retrain her once Im back at my apartment at my university. I have tried to open the door just a crack and spray water then close the door and walk in a minute later but that doesn't seem to be working all that great. Are there products I could also buy that stops the behavior?

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is the same. I have to pick her up and put her in the living room and then close the door. It's taken a few tries but now she won't really go out the door unless it's open for a while.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I make hissing/spitting sound when I walk in, usually does the trick. I also hear dropping your keys or a cab of pennies helps too.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangely, Casper suddenly started door darting, lately.

I wonder whether it's because of the sound of fireworks or because there's another cat or some other critter, outside, that he wants to go investigate. It might just be because it's summer.

Oddly, he only seems to do it at night.

Anyhow, I just stomp my feet on the floor and make a hissing sound like, "Psssh!" and that scares Casper away from the door.

Casper also hates the sound of canned air being sprayed. I tried that, once, and it did send him a-runnin'.

You don't have to spray it AT the cat. Just spray it up in the air in no particular direction. It's the loud sound that scares the cat, NOT the blast of air.

Using canned air is nice because you don't have to open the door very far so that the cat can't squeeze through the gap. Just open the door an inch or two and spray the air through the crack.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two idiots - Bruce & Luke - are always waiting near doors (indoor or outdoor) & always planning to make a run for it. Somehow, they are taking it slow at the moment and not darting out. They are very curious about the world in my bedroom or world outside my flat. I have allowed them supervised access to both of the places, but they are always willing to get out. I think its cat nature to run out of doors.