Stopping cat from compulsively scratching her neck?

babygiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner's cat is about 8 months old, and was adopted a couple months ago while she was pregnant. She'd been living outside for a while, and he had no idea she was pregnant because she was so tiny. She's since given birth and the vet's having him wait to get her spayed, but she literally went into heat less than a week after having her kittens. She's been insanely restless since then, and has started grooming intently and won't stop scratching at her neck with her back feet.

She was found with a collar and had some small bald spots around her neck, but she's been scratching so much she's created pretty big bald spots and scabbing. He's already tried putting a soft cone on her, but she managed to get out of it in minutes. Is there anything else he can try to keep her from getting at her neck? We've looked into sweaters, but a lot of them look like they're meant to keep cats from scratching around their stomachs. We also want to minimize distress because she seems so hyper and uncomfortable right now.

danddjones

FurMomma to Leo and Eclipse
Kitten
Purraise
A friend of mine had a kitten doing this and discovered it was an allergy to the food she was eating. Have you tried anti scratch shoes for her feet or possibly cat nail caps, you can find them on Amazon. Hope all goes well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would run Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers to help decrease stress and then look at either food allergy or litter allergy. Chicken is a common food allergy, so maybe try to find a turkey, rabbit, or venison food and see if that helps.

danddjones

FurMomma to Leo and Eclipse
Kitten
Purraise
I would run Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers to help decrease stress and then look at either food allergy or litter allergy. Chicken is a common food allergy, so maybe try to find a turkey, rabbit, or venison food and see if that helps.
Chicken was the allergy for my friends kitten.