Stopping a dry food diet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes :) to start with. It'll reduce the chances of upset.

If there is a wet equivalent to her dry, that's a great one to start with. For example Purina Urinary chicken has both a wet and dry formula.
Ok awesome. Thank you. I'm going to be putting my grocery order in soon so now I have a good idea on what to get for her.
Again thank you 😊

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I didn't get to put my grocery order in the other night but I am now. While I was looking for the brand and flavor I was getting for Gabby I saw something that kind of shocked me a little.. fancy feast creamy delights... "with a touch of real milk"
What about cats being lactose intolerant
I saw another one with cheddar cheese...
I don't know if I trust that for kitties...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok so I didn't get to put my grocery order in the other night but I am now. While I was looking for the brand and flavor I was getting for Gabby I saw something that kind of shocked me a little.. fancy feast creamy delights... "with a touch of real milk"
What about cats being lactose intolerant
I saw another one with cheddar cheese...
I don't know if I trust that for kitties...
I don't give my cats anything with cheese or milk because it causes calcium stones for Nobel. So I always worry.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't give my cats anything with cheese or milk because it causes calcium stones for Nobel. So I always worry.
I wouldn't give them anything like that anyway because of the lactose in it... who would be like ok most cats are lactose intolerant so hey let's put "a touch of real milk" in there lol ummm no thank you. I was like did I just read that right... haha

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't give them anything like that anyway because of the lactose in it... who would be like ok most cats are lactose intolerant so hey let's put "a touch of real milk" in there lol ummm no thank you. I was like did I just read that right... haha
People like to give cats milk because of media like TV so I guess that's why. Companies care more about $ than health.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People like to give cats milk because of media like TV so I guess that's why. Companies care more about $ than health.
It's just sad.. I know not wveryone knows about most cats being lactose intolerant and then they're going to get that thinking oh my kitty will love this... when in reality it is probably causing a lot of discomfort. I don't get how the companies can do that with a clear conscience... but it is all about the money for some companies unfortunately

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I successfully transitioned Willy to wet food, but unfortunately he is a dry food addict. See my posts, including the most recent one, in this thread:

Wet/dry food ratio and pooping issues

Long story short: I have to feed Willy a little bit of dry in addition to mostly wet (75% wet, 25% dry is the best for his digestive system). But he was raised on kibble, and strongly prefers it to wet.

Every now and then, he decides that since dry food is an option, that's all he wants. As I described in the thread, this recently happened when I bought a new bag of dry food, which he saw me unbox and smelled it. Now it's all he wants again. He loves it so much, he rubs on the outside of the bag even before I open it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with getting him back on mostly wet food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I successfully transitioned Willy to wet food, but unfortunately he is a dry food addict. See my posts, including the most recent one, in this thread:

Wet/dry food ratio and pooping issues

Long story short: I have to feed Willy a little bit of dry in addition to mostly wet (75% wet, 25% dry is the best for his digestive system). But he was raised on kibble, and strongly prefers it to wet.

Every now and then, he decides that since dry food is an option, that's all he wants. As I described in the thread, this recently happened when I bought a new bag of dry food, which he saw me unbox and smelled it. Now it's all he wants again. He loves it so much, he rubs on the outside of the bag even before I open it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with getting him back on mostly wet food.
Betty gets pretty excited when we start a new case of her wet food. Those first few meals of a new case turns my nibbler into a gobbler. But as we get further into it, she regresses back to her mean.

Maybe you just need to ride out that new bag excitement until it’s an old bag again. Or find that new case of wet food that also gets him excited.