Stopped Using Litter Box, I've Tried Everything, What Now?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna and my dog Bosco both had uncontrollable diarrhea problems over the span of almost two weeks. The theory right now is that they shared some type of worm or parasite. They both got dewormed, had antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, anti-diarreals, and probiotics.

The diarrhea cleared up but Luna has continued to poop on the carpet. Originally, with the diarrhea I blamed the poop on the floor on whatever was physically wrong with her. I do not believe that she has any more medical problems, so I put this in the "Behavior" forum, but feel free to move it.

I am still finding poop on the floor upstairs in the same spot. I just shampoed all my carpets. I tried feeding her in the spot where she was pooping. As far as I could tell she was still peeing in the box, but not pooping. Today, I didn't find any poop, but now I found pee in the dog's bed (which she sleeps in).

I'm not 100% sure if my cleaners are an enzymatic cleaner, but just to be sure, I'm going to research and buy another one that I know for sure is enzymatic.

I tried putting catnip in some of the litter boxes. I tried getting a 4th litter box and putting crystal litter in it thinking maybe she would get curious about it and prefer it to the clay litter I have been using.

Today I cleaned out all four boxes with bleach and filled them all up with new litter- the same litter she has been using since 8 weeks old- Tractor Supply Paws & Claws. I have gone back and forth between the multi-cat and the odor control and she has always used both without a problem.

This all started when she got sick. I know her bottom was very red and sore when she was sick. I don't know if she is associating the pain of going to the bathroom with the litter box, if so how do I fix this?

I don't know what else to try. And I don't know why she is still not going in the box.

Please help. I was almost in tears today after seeing the cat pee. This is going on week 3. I don't know what else to do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Let's try to help this.

How long has it been since her stools returned to normal (diarrhea gone)? 1 week?

Are her stools still soft or are they firmer? Is she going as often as she did before getting sick or is she still going more often?

Is she straining at all? Have you seen her go outside of the litter box?

Is she eating normal? Is she walking around normal? Tail high? Walking tall? Is she avoiding any areas or anyone? Any change in her behavior? Any hiding? Not going on the cat trees? Etc.

I am guessing she is still feeling the negative association of the discomfort with the litter box or still feeling discomfort or just feeling a lot of stress from the ordeal.

I would like to work on the stress angle for now. I am wondering if it is stress from the ordeal because she went pee outside of the litter box on the dog bed (this is a sign of insecurity or stress).

Is she well enough to play? If you are unsure let's discuss this and the answers to the above questions should help us. If she is well enough let's step up play with her in areas she is going. After play feed either treats or a meal. Also, make sure she knows she is loved. Be calm and confident around her. Cats take on our emotions so it is very important to try your best to just clean up the mess calmly and confidently and act like nothing happened. Also, just sit with her and talk softly and lovingly to her. If she is well enough then give her some treats. If you can safely (without being at risk of being hurt in anyway) try to get her to relax and purr. Try to make sure her interactions with the dog are positive. DO anything you can to help her de-stress and build her confidence again.

She could still be feeling discomfort and/or having a negative association with the litter box. But their instinct is to cover so we can get over this.

If she does go outside of the litter box we may want to put it in the litter to get her scent in the box again.

Don't worry, I will be with you every step of the way so we will get through this and figure it out. I am guessing this is stress which we can handle by doing the above. Let's see how she responds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Let's try to help this.

How long has it been since her stools returned to normal (diarrhea gone)? 1 week?

Are her stools still soft or are they firmer? Is she going as often as she did before getting sick or is she still going more often?

Is she straining at all? Have you seen her go outside of the litter box?

Is she eating normal? Is she walking around normal? Tail high? Walking tall? Is she avoiding any areas or anyone? Any change in her behavior? Any hiding? Not going on the cat trees? Etc.

I am guessing she is still feeling the negative association of the discomfort with the litter box or still feeling discomfort or just feeling a lot of stress from the ordeal.

I would like to work on the stress angle for now. I am wondering if it is stress from the ordeal because she went pee outside of the litter box on the dog bed (this is a sign of insecurity or stress).

Is she well enough to play? If you are unsure let's discuss this and the answers to the above questions should help us. If she is well enough let's step up play with her in areas she is going. After play feed either treats or a meal. Also, make sure she knows she is loved. Be calm and confident around her. Cats take on our emotions so it is very important to try your best to just clean up the mess calmly and confidently and act like nothing happened. Also, just sit with her and talk softly and lovingly to her. If she is well enough then give her some treats. If you can safely (without being at risk of being hurt in anyway) try to get her to relax and purr. Try to make sure her interactions with the dog are positive. DO anything you can to help her de-stress and build her confidence again.

She could still be feeling discomfort and/or having a negative association with the litter box. But their instinct is to cover so we can get over this.

If she does go outside of the litter box we may want to put it in the litter to get her scent in the box again.

Don't worry, I will be with you every step of the way so we will get through this and figure it out. I am guessing this is stress which we can handle by doing the above. Let's see how she responds.
Thanks for your help. I think it's been about 4 or 5 days since her stool has returned to normal. It is totally firm and not loose at all anymore. She is eating normally, and only appears to be using the litter box maybe once a day or more if just to pee.

She seems a little bit calmer than usual, but not like when she was very sick. She's normally going 100 mph and while she is still running around and playing with Artemis, I wouldn't call her "hyper" which is what I would normally call her. She's just calm. She's still sleeping on the cat trees, and today I remodeled the "cats in cubes" cat tree the way she likes it so she can see out the front window.

I don't see her with her tail high very often. She isn't hiding, except for going underneath the blankets on the couch sometimes, but she's always done that.

I got a new wand toy with a mouse that squeaks and I played with her again tonight and then fed her dinner. I saw her pee in the litter box, but she usually poops at night while I'm asleep or while I'm away at work, and I don't think she's gone yet today.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw her pee in the litter box last night, but again today she pooped in the dog's bed. I picked up the poop and put it in the two of the litterboxes downstairs, then I picked her up and put her in the litter box with the poop in it. She buried the poop and jumped out.

I also ordered Nature's Miracle Just for Cats on Chewy, so when it comes in I can wash the dog bed with it. I don't think my bissel is an enzymatic cleaner. But at least she's going in the dog bed and not on the carpet.

I have a Feliway but need to get more refills. Should I try that, too?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

That is a really good update. I am glad to hear her stools are back to normal and eating normal and not going too often etc. Now the fact she is not yet as active as before suggests she may still be feeling some lingering effects. It is very good that she is playing with the dog. That does make me question why she went in the dog bed though.

Did anything happen since she got better? Any stressful incident? Any other change? Any other animals coming around? Or new people (workers etc)?

GREAT that you rearranged the cat tree and allowed her to be able to look out better. Do you know if you have any ferals etc that hang around outside?

Did she ever walk with her tail straight up? Or just since she recovered?

Great that she isn't hiding. Going under blankets is normal.

Great that you played with her and fed her after play. That will help build confidence and address any territorial insecurity.

It does take a few days but please update me on how she is acting (walking around, interacting, etc). Try to keep playing and feeding after, stay calm and confident around her, let her know she is loved, make her as comfortable as possible and let's see how she responds. My sense is she will use her litter box regularly very soon. The updates will help us in understanding the driver of the behavior but I am guessing it is stress hangover from the health issues but that is my guess.

We'll get through this.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw her pee in the litter box last night, but again today she pooped in the dog's bed. I picked up the poop and put it in the two of the litterboxes downstairs, then I picked her up and put her in the litter box with the poop in it. She buried the poop and jumped out.

I also ordered Nature's Miracle Just for Cats on Chewy, so when it comes in I can wash the dog bed with it. I don't think my bissel is an enzymatic cleaner. But at least she's going in the dog bed and not on the carpet.

I have a Feliway but need to get more refills. Should I try that, too?
I am sorry, I just saw this.

Hmmmm, in the dog bed again. It very well could be because the scent is not coming out. So I am glad you are getting the proper cleaner. Dog beds are nice and soft so cats can use that as it can be confused as a litter box. BUT I am bothered. Did she ever sleep in that dog bed? Has there been any negativity between her and the dog over the last few weeks? Is there a litter box anywhere near the dog bed or is the nearest litter box on a different level? HOw was she acting before this? Any sense of any stress in her?

How was she when you picked her up and put her in the litter? Did she struggle or not like it? I am usually pretty cautious about moving a cat and tend to let them "discover" it in there. Just because I worry that she may rebel and it may lead to a negative association. I do like that she covered it, good sign.

I don't actually use feliway but I know many people who do successfully. I thin it would be fine to try and see if that helps reduce her stress.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I just saw this.

Hmmmm, in the dog bed again. It very well could be because the scent is not coming out. So I am glad you are getting the proper cleaner. Dog beds are nice and soft so cats can use that as it can be confused as a litter box. BUT I am bothered. Did she ever sleep in that dog bed? Has there been any negativity between her and the dog over the last few weeks? Is there a litter box anywhere near the dog bed or is the nearest litter box on a different level? HOw was she acting before this? Any sense of any stress in her?

How was she when you picked her up and put her in the litter? Did she struggle or not like it? I am usually pretty cautious about moving a cat and tend to let them "discover" it in there. Just because I worry that she may rebel and it may lead to a negative association. I do like that she covered it, good sign.

I don't actually use feliway but I know many people who do successfully. I thin it would be fine to try and see if that helps reduce her stress.
The dog bed is pretty much her bed. She sleeps in it more than any other animal. I make Bosco lay down in it when we are working on obedience training but for all intents and purposes, it is Luna's bed.

All of the litter boxes are downstairs in the basement. Should I move the dog bed and put a litter box there? When I put her in the box she just covered the poo and jumped out, her reaction otherwise seemed pretty neutral, but I could be wrong.

Also since she got better, my aunt and Nana came to help me clean my house. I borrowed their vacuum to shampoo the carpets. They stayed for a few days. Bosco still had diarrhea for two days during their visit and Luna was still going on the carpet, so I imagine that they reacted to that pretty negatively.

I can't really remember if she ever walked with her tail straight up. I think that she did before, but I can't specifically remember.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that is helpful. The fact she is going in "her" bed is suggesting that either she feels comfort going there or she is telling others "this is mine".

So I would definitely play with her by the bed then feed after play. Also, if you can add a scratching post near the bed and possibly add a litter box near there that could be helpful. Our goal is to increase her feeling of "ownership" there.

Were your family in the room that Luna stays a fair amount? How does she respond to the vacuum?

How did Luna respond to your family? Acted normally or more cautious?

A lot went on so it is understandable that she struggled through it. But the good news is I think most of the negative things are past so we should have a clear path to getting this behavior to end.

I think we are on the right path with building confidence (territorial security) and trying to de-stress her. Let's see if we see a change in her behavior.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're getting a lot of fantastic advice from Calico. I'm just wondering a few other things. Is the other cat letting her use the box? Is the dog leaving her alone when she potties? I know you said you are asleep or at work. I'm just wondering, is all. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
You're getting a lot of fantastic advice from Calico. I'm just wondering a few other things. Is the other cat letting her use the box? Is the dog leaving her alone when she potties? I know you said you are asleep or at work. I'm just wondering, is all. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.
I know the dog does not have access to the boxes in the basement and I have seen her pee, at least, with Artemis (cat) right next to her. I brought one of the litter boxes upstairs and put it next to her bed that she's been pooping in. Both Bosco and Artemis were just feet away from her and she peed in it. There are three more litter boxes in the basement, so Bosco can't follow her down there. I have a door buddy keeping the door just cracked open. I've never seen Artemis bother her.

I also moved a cat scratcher closer to the bed and litter box. I just bought it recently and they weren't too interested in it, so I rubbed it with this thing which basically looks like catnip chapstick.

She doesn't hold her tail high unless I'm interacting with her, then her tail goes up and she purrs when I pet her. Luna and Bosco were grooming each other today, and Luna was playing with Artemis. They hide behind furniture and stare at each other and wiggle their butts and then pounce on each other and run around the house. I assume this is playing and not fighting. No hissing or growling or any noise at all. They jump on each other and roll around on the floor and then both run somewhere.

I also played with them both today and gave them treats, and I'll do it again tonight when I feed them.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think your kitty sounds very healthy but my opinion she has associated the litter box with painful bowel movements. I wouldn't move the box around too much. Keep an eye on her though to make sure she doesn't get diarrhea again from the dog. She might come around. I do think it's odd she is now going in the bed she likes to lay in. Interesting that when you put the poop in the box, she covered it and left. She does know.

If it were me, I think I would just call the vet and ask what they think. I wonder if taking the kitty back in for a test of some sort would just give you peace of mind that she is really OK.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I moved the litter box next to the bed it looks like she has started going in it. I saw her go right on the edge of it and some of the poop went onto the floor but I'm not sure if she meant to go on the floor because half went in the box. She was trying to burry it in the carpet, so I picked it up and put it in the box and then she went into the box and buried it. She hasn't peed anywhere so I think she is going in one of the boxes.

I've been playing with her more and feeding her right after.

I do have more company coming over tomorrow. I hope that doesn't stress her out again. She knows them, but I don't want her to take two steps backwards.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great! Sounds like a step in the right direction.
I had a cat who lived to be 18 years old. Pickles. She used to perch on the edge of the box and poop over the edge. I didn't mind.
Here's a thought -- my current cat Lupita, often pees over the edge of the box. I went to the Dollar Store and found those human pee pads that you can put down on sofas or chairs. I put one under the box so that it sticks out about 4-5" around the box and viola! whenever she happens to pee over the edge I just throw the pee pad out and put down a fresh one.
Another thing I did for Lupita was found a box with sides that are about 8" tall. That helped with her going over the edge.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Sounds like a step in the right direction.
I had a cat who lived to be 18 years old. Pickles. She used to perch on the edge of the box and poop over the edge. I didn't mind.
Here's a thought -- my current cat Lupita, often pees over the edge of the box. I went to the Dollar Store and found those human pee pads that you can put down on sofas or chairs. I put one under the box so that it sticks out about 4-5" around the box and viola! whenever she happens to pee over the edge I just throw the pee pad out and put down a fresh one.
Another thing I did for Lupita was found a box with sides that are about 8" tall. That helped with her going over the edge.
Yes, I did get her a box with high sides because sometimes she would pee right on the wall over the box. I think I might have some puppy pads somewhere I could lay down.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Still young?

It sounds to me the illness may still be lingering. Even if her stools are semi-solid or even nearly solid does not mean that the urgency factor may not be an issue. Have you ever had to go after eating something that didn't quite settle right or recovering from a stomach virus and well when you had to go , you had to go kind of thing?

Also, I can almost guarantee she can still smell her scent on the bed and the carpet. It has to be an ezymatic cleaner to get the scent out and regular carpet shampoo with cleaner most likely is not.

I think this will clear up on its own but i know you are probably going crazy. I'm training 10 rescue kittens because the mother WONT and about to lose it lol. Well, now half of them also had the same issue as you with long bout of diarrhea and treatment and I will tell you it took at least 3 weeks for it to completely stop POST the end of medication and waining of symptoms though that was through at least 5 of them taking their turn in evaery corner of a room (had to completely confine them to one big room but obviously I would not do that with yours - these are rescue kittens and they has been their main place anyway - I just couldn't let them out at all during that time)

I was starting to get super frustrated and angry but had to calm myself down because the minute I walked in I would start talking angrily to myself and they fed off my emotions and it got WORSE. It stressed them out without my intention or even directing it to them but they knew fed off of me being angry.

If things continue I may give the vet a call just to be sure and have a piece of mind that everything is all well. Which it sounds like she is obviously over the worst but try to watch for when she does take bm to see if she is still straining, or if you can tell it's urgent type thing. She may not be having to go every minute but it still maybe bothering her when she does have to go type thing. And you are most likely right , the cat is most likely associating the bad pain with litter box.

Another major factor is that her butt may still be super sore from all the diarrhea and I would make sure to look if you can. The fact that you did move the box and she half used it means that maybe it did help with the factor of association. The place it used to be would have been part of that association. Or possibly even more of a reason, is that she is having urgency to go when she does have to go. If her hang out spot is her bed, and she suddenly has to go she knows she may not make it all the way downstairs. I would add an extra litter box for sure! That solved my problem with the kittens. After the diarrhea mess they wanted to be able to pee in one box and poo in the other so I literally had them every corner Of the room obviously their several Of them and it stopped the problem . then I slowly removed the boxes. Of course , my other 2 cats prefer that anyway. They don't like urinating where they poop. Also, make sure to keep the litter super clean which I'm sure you do but maybe change it out completely if your cat likes clean fresh litter when you first pour it.

Well I say super clean but maybe keep your old box and a new box. Maybe put in a cup of her used litter so her scent is in there. Some cats though love when you pour fresh litter and line up to use it so that may help but I would definitely add a new box though.

The next thing I would try is maybe changing the type of litter in one of the boxes to a finer grain or very soft type litter. The crystal litter was a great idea but honstly I do frequent fostering and many of my fosters don't prefer the crystals for some reason especially if they are younger or older and I think because of the type of granules they are like little tiny pebbles instead of sand on their feet. Cats have VERY sensitive paws.

And more often than not with litter box issues of going on soft items like clothes, blankets and rugs is often or not part of the problem with the type of litter. But this seems to have obviously developed from a diarrhea standpoint but at this point she is avoiding it so maybe a little change would be good but just because one didn't work doesn't mean something else will.

The fact that she is pooing on 'soft' items may mean you need to go with a softer,fine litter.

Speaking of sensitive paws though (and I'll end it here soon just trying to help...) Cats are very sensory type creatures. Think see, feel, smell , sound. And I'm referring to litter box issues in general but you may have to go down to the basics with it. Many litter box issues in general have to do with their sensory.

Is the box in a safe place that they can see out of and around her . The dog isn't messing with her why she trying to take a #2 that has already been more than unpleasant? Is the litter unpleasant to her paws, maybe to ruff to her liking (every cat is different ). Is the smell bad to her? Think the cat can smell 100x times better than we can and she is in their digging around after all. Is it to where it is putting her off from wanting to go back?? Her stool may have a stronger odor and may have put her off from wanting to go back in that box. Just like you avoid a strong smelling outhouse type thing. And sound... Is the letterbox in the laundry room and the loud buzzer goes off why she is taking #2?? That cat probably would prefer not to take #2 there again. So, I'm being vague here and know that does not probably specifically relate to your problem but I would kind of start from the beginning with this at this point. I think this will clear up on its own though regardless because I feel she still has some lingering uncomfortablness going on with her stool and how she is feeling.

Keep us updated . I forgot to ask you is she Still a kitten?? If so, kittens are a lot more notorious for these issues with diarrhea.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated . I forgot to ask you is she Still a kitten?? If so, kittens are a lot more notorious for these issues with diarrhea.
Thank you for all that. She is about one year old. I'm not totally sure of her birthday but I think it is Summer '16. I've always kept the litter boxes in the basement and it is a pretty large basement. My washer and dryer are on the other side, but they never seemed to bother her, she always wanted to play inside them and I'm always worried about shutting her in the dryer accidentally. :shocked: I've used the same litter since she was 8 weeks old. I could try something different, but last time I changed litters she hated it and peed on my couch. I could fill up a second box with a different litter though and see if she uses it. What would be a softer litter? I've used EverClean before and liked it but it's too expensive. I've tried Fresh Step but it's dusty and the scented ones make me gag. I could try Arm& Hammer. I've never used that one yet.

I agree that I don't think the smell is out of the carpet and bed. The stores around here are slim pickings and I ordered something online and am waiting to get that in the mail. Hopefully the other cleaners haven't chemically "set" the stain and smell into the fabric and I am still able to clean it.

I want to try to sneak the bed into the laundry mat and wash it thoroughly with Nature's Miracle Just for Cats.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jjc1140 brings up a lot of great points and ideas.

I am so glad she used the litter box by the bed. That is a good sign.

You may want to try a bigger litter box. It sounds like she wanted to use the litter box but was just situated at the wrong angle. Some of the bigger boxes give more room. Is she a long body?

If you do try other litters always add another box and do not change the existing ones.

Keep up playing and feeding after. Keep an eye out for her health (stool consistency, straining, frequency, eating normal, etc).

Just try to keep her as calm as possible when you have guests. Makes sure she has some comfy bedding, maybe a hideaway she can feel secure in. Try to keep the guests from going towards her etc.

Please let us know how things are going.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so it's been a few day and I cleaned the bed and carpet with Natures miracle. I put it in the washer and I probably shouldn't have. I kinda ruined the bed. It's all lumpy now. It said spot clean only but the whole thing was so dirty. Oh well....

Luna has been using the litter box I put upstairs. She may have peed in the boxes downstairs, but she hasn't gone anywhere else in the past few days. I guess I'll just keep that litter box where it is then if she's using it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the bed. :(

Thank you for the update. It is GREAT that she seems to be using the litter boxes now. It seems like what you are doing is working. Let's keep it up.

Please let us know how things are going. Keep up the great work!! :)