Stop IMO ?

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some topics in IMO I avoid, because I know that I will disagree with the posts, and there is no point in getting upset. But in general, I find it very interesting to see what people are concerned about.

And I would like to give an example of what I love about the IMO threads. I feel like I get to "know" people pretty well on this board, reading what they post and the kind of advice they give. So there are a lot of people I have a lot of respect for.

I have lots of preconceived ideas about American politics, being a Canadian, and I have many criticisms of the current government. However, when I see really well thought out posts from the people I respect, supporting an opinion I disagree with, it makes me think, a lot, about the more subtle nuances in the situation. And often I have tempered my own opinion based on the detail and well thought out and well expressed posts from people on this board.

I don't come to IMO for news, per se, but I do come here to see what good reasons people might have for disagreeing with me.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for the nice feedback on IMO everyone. And a big thank you to all of the IMO mods - past and present - who work so hard to make this place as nice as the rest of the forums!

ratcatcher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep IMO. IMO brought me to this site in the first place. If you girls keep complaining, be careful this entire subject will have to be moved into the regular IMO site.

On another note, I normally post on newspaper forums where the subjects and the words get rather heated. You all have it made here. There are different opinions, but I haven't seen anyone lose control yet.

lucia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RatCatcher

Keep IMO. IMO brought me to this site in the first place. If you girls keep complaining, be careful this entire subject will have to be moved into the regular IMO site.

On another note, I normally post on newspaper forums where the subjects and the words get rather heated. You all have it made here. There are different opinions, but I haven't seen anyone lose control yet.
Actually, girl, I think we are safe here in that the moderators & site hosts will not stand for posts merely for the sake of argument that
litter the newspaper forums and make many of them a waste of time to read. By the way, this thread was moved to Feedback, from IMO already.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the IMO posts disturb you when you're searching new posts, you can usually avoid them by either the subject - often IMO subject lines are a giveaway
, or at the column on the far right - it lists the forum in which each post is displayed. Usually I can tell just by the subject line whether or not it's something I'm in the mood to see.

Personally, I really enjoy the IMO forum - it provides lively debate and comments about all sorts of interesting subjects, and it's definitely a reminder that we're all different people with different views, united by our love of cats. There are many people here whose views differ from mine but whom I greatly respect as individuals with opinions formed by their own life experiences, just as my life experiences have formed mine. Sometimes it's an eye-opener, sometimes I just smile & nod with the ones I agree with, and roll my eyes at the ones I don't. But it's usually pretty entertaining either way, and I've rarely seen it get nasty. (Thanks, mods!) And if it gets too hot in the kitchen, I just step out for a while.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RatCatcher

Actually, Ratcatcher, the thread started out in IMO and was moved here. Anyway, our IMO mods, and all of our mods, really work hard to keep this site a friendly place. We have seen here and on other boards how heated words spawn nothing but more heated words and nothing productive. It's easy to just call somebody a name; tougher to argue your point logically and respectfully. It's been a learning experience for all of us, I think.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

We have seen here and on other boards how heated words spawn nothing but more heated words and nothing productive. It's easy to just call somebody a name; tougher to argue your point logically and respectfully. It's been a learning experience for all of us, I think.
So true...

ratcatcher

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have noticed some threads posted here with no one commenting. I have merely gone on them and made some brash remark just to get someone to comment. I should put out my shingle and be paid for all the threads I have made to work.