Stop Forl's From Getting Worse?

whittwhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

My cat, Tommie, had a dental cleaning a few months ago and was diagnosed with two FORL's on his two lower canines. The vet said they aren't too bad yet, but the teeth would probably need to be pulled in about a year. They said it would cost about $1,600 for a canine amputation (we opted for that since canine removal can fracture the mandible).

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop FORL's from getting worse or at least slow down their growth? I've started brushing his teeth once a day with CET toothpaste, so I'm thinking that would help a bit.

Also, has anyone had canine amputations before? Is $1,600 a decent price for that, or is it a bit too high? That cost estimate came from a vet dentist that my vet referred me to.

Thanks for any help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just genetically prone to FORLs:dunno: Brushing daily can help with dental health but FORLs may still develop no matter what. One of my cats gets her teeth brushed almost daily with tartar control CET toothpaste and she still developed 3 FORLs that needed to be removed.

You can ask other dental vets what they charge for a canine amputation. Ask for a detailed list of estimated charges so you can compare. Some vets may charge for things that other vets don't, like maybe a day boarding fee or biohazardous sharps disposal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I can find, prices can vary wildly from one part of the country to the other. As LTS3 LTS3 said, call around and ask.