Stop Animal Abuse!

trixiesowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey cat lovers!! My friend emailed me this petition that asks congress to increase the maximum punishment for Animal Abuse. These crazy people need to be taught that cruelty toward animals is wrong no matter what.

http://petitionearth.com/viewpetition.php?id=79

I know I want my trixie to be safe!! Help us out and support our cause!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate animal abuse. It makes me so sick. It's to bad people like that are here on this earth.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Err.. No thank you. I refuse to sign anything unless I can see exactly what is being proposed to deal with this, considering that PETA is listed it can't be good.
Their idea of stopping cruelty against pets is completely removing them from our homes... their solution for that is often sickening.

thekittydaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im pretty sure they do specify that

Most states classify animal abuse as a Class E felony, with a maximum sentence of two years in prison. We must change the crime to Class D, with a maximum of seven years.
So I think that it is clear what's being proposed. Also, the charity is the ASPCA, I don't know where you got peta from, though I tend to agree with your thoughts on that orgnaization

I think it's a great petition! I signed it, and passed it on to all my friends! Thanks, trix!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very strange, when I clicked on it earlier the listed charity was PETA.... not that it matters too much - the ASPCA is just as bad.

What I meant as specifics is, what else are they trying to sneak in there or tack onto the bill? These organizations wouldn't suddenly do a 180 when they've been trying to take away our rights to own pets entirely for years now.

thekittydaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um, I don't think the petition is sponsored by the ASPCA, but just an individual. I looked at the website, and it seems that when you write a petition, you choose a charity, and the site will donate to it if you have a successful petition. Money is probably just donated to help the ASPCA care for strays or something. Plus, the petition is very straight forward, and is sent directly to Congress, so I wouldn't worry about attachments to what's sent

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Online petitions carry very little weight. A typed or handwritten letter means a lot more.

Animal abuse sucks, but signing a petition on a website isn't going to fix it.

thekittydaddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is not true, a similar online petition actually got the legislators to change the laws in I believe Arkansas, though I'm not 100% sure of the state. So, we're just bringing this to the national level. It takes 30 seconds, why not try?

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed!! There should be a minimum, mandatory sentence for anyone convicted of a violent crime against an animal. I hope a group as big as the ASPCA can get this done.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen the deal with VA? They treat abuse and theft of cats very differently from abuse or theft of dogs. I haven't heard if there's been any progress, but a number of people were lobbying for a change in their laws.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I see the abused animal commericals I just want to cry and I turn the channel. I would help them if I could .It is just too painful to watch this commerical.

dejolane