Stool from normal > dark, lumpy > formed but soft on the inside

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to choose euthanasia for my FeLV positive male kitten two weeks ago. The surviving kittens have been doing well.

Their stool have been normal until it started getting smellier than usual. At this point, their appetite and pee - no problems whatsoever.

Then one day, I thought giving some wet food would help with their smelly poo > the smaller one didn't want it and only eats dry food.
Still eating fine at this point. I have been wondering if stress contributed to the change in stool.

Figured it was almost time for their deworming so I gave both of them Drontal about 9 days earlier than the actual date.

The smell has improved by now. But in the past few days, the smaller kitten that had previously dark, soft and lumpy poo doesn't seem to have much of an appetite.

Seeing that a week has passed since the Drontal, I got her another dose. Her stool is now formed but it's pasty on the inside, I suppose it's an improvement. Slightly tinged with green which I think is bile if she hadn't eaten enough. Both are still actively playing (interactive).

Still trying to get her appetite back up. Have been trying to source their monthly Advocate pipette (Advantage Multi in the U.S.) but it's out of stock everywhere.

Also worried that her pink toe beans/paws are a little pale as well*. They're due for their vaccination on the 15th (about 12 days time).

Any idea if it's most likely just worms or should I consider the possibility of the FeLV and associated secondary conditions?

*Due to their sibling having anaemia + FeLV.

I want to note that I have felt their stomachs, try to feed them often but it's more often feels like they're full? Really round.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I’d want them checked at a vet prior to their vac appointment for peace of mind, given the situation, but it does seem highly likely to be worms, given their tummies feel full, as well as the change in stool consistency.

ETA: I’d want a stool sample done at the vet, full panel.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: They did touch the food overnight so I'm relieved. The stool looks more normal (tried pressing down and it isn't too soft but lesser volume due to lesser food intake) this morning but will keep my eyes peeled for changes. Still actively playing as well.

Not sure why but vet clinics here don't test stools (did try bringing it once when visiting a vet but they're like 'it's not necessary for me to look at it myself').

To be honest, I’d want them checked at a vet prior to their vac appointment for peace of mind, given the situation, but it does seem highly likely to be worms, given their tummies feel full, as well as the change in stool consistency.

ETA: I’d want a stool sample done at the vet, full panel.
And thank you ;w; Really appreciate the reassurance.