stomatitis + worse.....what to do?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets will offer a monthly payment plan some even have programs in place if money is truly a problem for patients. And I honestly think a vet visit is needed. Nobody on here has the tools to properly diagnose your cats.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but if you truly cannot care for these cats anymore you may have to give them away.

It is not fair to sentence them to death if you won't at least take them for a checkup. Please if you can't care for them give them to someone who can.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones
.....snip

It is not fair to sentence them to death if you won't at least take them for a checkup. Please if you can't care for them give them to someone who can. ....snip
-------------------

No one
is saying creekgirl creekgirl is going to euthanize her cats without additional vet visits and appropriate diagnosis for her cats.

This thread has shown her love for her cats and her frustration with the vets who have seen her cats so far.
She's struggling with their health and behavior. She's tried everything she can think of and has asked for help with both the health and behavior issues.

She's in a very difficult place and is trying to sort out the best outcome for her and her cats who are very dear to her.

Why not just offer advice and support to someone who is searching for any alternatives?

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
foxden. bless you, but

creekgirl has made it clear she can't afford to care for these cats. People give advice and she doesn't seem to be able to do any of those things.

creekgirl, cats are not capable of doing things just to get back at a human. Only humans are vindictive like that. Cats are fastidious and crave clean surroundings. If you would do some research you would find that, cats going outside of the box are doing so because something is wrong, not because they want to live in horrible conditions. You think it's bad, try living there 24/7. From what you described, these cats have been living in pain for, what, a year now. Some dogs drool, not cats (except, maybe when they are very happy, that is not the case here). Stinky drool is due to nasty infections and pain.

I have to be straight with you, you are forcing these cats to live in hell. "Throwing" them outside will only make your life easier, not theirs. You might start thinking more about their quality of life. Sorry, I keep reading this and somebody has to stand up for those poor cats. Look around for rescues, ask if any would take them. Do not take them to a kill shelter, they will be euthanized, after being completely traumatized. Could you get one of those credit cards that have no interest for (as long as possible). If there is truly no way to give them proper care, you've got to think of them and what kind of life this is.The only thoughts you should have is what is best for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From reading recent comments, you'd think I had never done anything to try to help my cats.  I took them to 2 different vets last year and spent well over $500 for tests and treatments that accomplished nothing.  From what I've read, the only effective treatment might be full dental extraction, but my regular vet, the one that gave a questionable but affordable price for this at first, then said they won't do full dental extraction.  I can't afford more and more vets and solutions that accomplish nothing.  But I haven't wanted to have the cats put down, either.  

To get them out of the bathroom, I looked for a pet cage on Craigslist, but couldn't find one the right size.  I also called a third vet, based on their affiliation with a cat network organization, and the office was very sympathetic.  I described the situation and they said, as unlikely as it may seem, it is possible that both cats may have contracted oral cancer within the same short period of time, and hinted that at their age, expensive treatments could just mean buying a few months before kidney failure or some other life-threatening condition sets in.  I'll be taking both cats there the day after tomorrow for diagnosis.  I guess it's possible one or both may never be coming home again, the potential for which I've perhaps delayed beyond reason.

noahboy611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new Vet in Florida does not believe in dental cleaning or extracting teeth if they have Stomatitis.  As mentioned before the Vet gave him two injections Depo-Medrol and Convenia which I believe is causing the constipation.   My cat was not thoroughly examined he only looked at the gums and gave him the two injections.  He may have other health problems going on.  I think I need a new Vet..worried.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My new Vet in Florida does not believe in dental cleaning or extracting teeth if they have Stomatitis.  As mentioned before the Vet gave him two injections Depo-Medrol and Convenia which I believe is causing the constipation.   My cat was not thoroughly examined he only looked at the gums and gave him the two injections.  He may have other health problems going on.  I think I need a new Vet..worried.
I think you do need a new vet. Your cat might not need annual dental cleanings, but a good dental cleaning will help diagnose and perhaps stop things from getting worse.

See if you can find a vet with a cats only practice. Some people here only use this kind of vet. I see a vet that treats both cats and dogs, but has separate waiting areas for cat and dog patients.

noahboy611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response.   I found another Vet and they do dental work.  I am going to bring him in Monday.  He finally went to the bathroom after giving him Lactolus for two days. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the Convenia that can cause the constipation.  Cats taking that should ALWAYS be given probiotics for 60 days, but the vets don't know (most of them) and don't tell you.  The Convenia kills many of the good bacteria along with the bad, and the cats need the good gut bacteria for digestion.

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to post a follow-up on this thread, for those whose cats show signs of STOMATITIS.  Two weeks ago I took Bosco and Scout to a vet for full dental extraction, and the results are nothing short of a miracle!  Both cats recovered almost immediately and are back to their old selves.  No more stomatitis, no problems with absence of teeth.  I still mash their food with water, but have heard even dry food would be okay despite absence of teeth.  From what I've seen, FULL DENTAL EXTRACTION is clearly the cure!

For the two cats the total cost was about $500, which I understand was a good price.

(As a side note........Bosco continues to be a problem.  I tried putting crushed leaves in the litter box.....he still went on the floor less than 2 feet from the box.  So he spends days outside and nights indoors in a cat carrier.  It's annoying to have to clean the cat carrier every day and I have to wonder why I bought continuation of my own misery.  If I knew of someplace to give him away, I would, but who wants a 17 year old cat that refuses to use a litter box?  All I can say is, at least now he is pain-free, and can eat normally again.

Thank you to all for your helpful advice!  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to post a follow-up on this thread, for those whose cats show signs of STOMATITIS.  Two weeks ago I took Bosco and Scout to a vet for full dental extraction, and the results are nothing short of a miracle!  Both cats recovered almost immediately and are back to their old selves.  No more stomatitis, no problems with absence of teeth.  I still mash their food with water, but have heard even dry food would be okay despite absence of teeth.  From what I've seen, FULL DENTAL EXTRACTION is clearly the cure!

For the two cats the total cost was about $500, which I understand was a good price.
So very glad for you. Stomatitis would have made your cats very very ill so glad this worked for you. They can definitely eat dry kibble - they will "gum" it.

$500 is excellent. I was quoted $2,000 for one cat.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very happy for you and the cats.
$500 is an excellent price for that treatment, and you know how much better they feel now.

Such great news!!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How much are false teeth? They seriously need to make dentures or something for these cats that's the next step

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much are false teeth? They seriously need to make dentures or something for these cats that's the next step
I don't think that would be the best idea as stomatitis is an over dramatic immune reaction to the bacteria and plaque build build up on the teeth. By removing the teeth you remove the surfaces for plaque to grow on, therefore solving the problem. If you were to put in fake teeth it would just restart the problem all over again

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Was kind of meant as a joke. But wouldn't brushing the teeth regularly have the same effect? I remember the vet doing something to Hector's teeth to stop the plaque and junk from forming but she only had one tooth pulled because it was rotten.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago I had full dental extractions on two cats just like you did.  Both were fine for awhile, but one relapsed after about a year, and once depomedrol stopped working for his pain, he was euthanized.  The other one, his brother, lived to be 19 1/2 years old with no further stomatitis.  I hope this works for both of your cats.  And $500 is extremely inexpensive.  It cost me $400 each for mine and that was about 30 years ago!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had full dental extractions on two cats just like you did.  Both were fine for awhile, but one relapsed after about a year, and once depomedrol stopped working for his pain, he was euthanized.  The other one, his brother, lived to be 19 1/2 years old with no further stomatitis.  I hope this works for both of your cats.  And $500 is extremely inexpensive.  It cost me $400 each for mine and that was about 30 years ago!
Now it's $500 just to have a single molar pulled and routine cleaning. This is one tooth! Granted Hector was a senior so that meant she had extra monitoring.

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to report that both my cats are exhibiting the same symptoms again, despite full dental extraction. The first couple of weeks they seemed better, but symptoms gradually returned and now about the same as before.

Upon taking a few licks, or sometimes even just anticipating food, Bosco will suddenly leap up and run around, shaking his head and opening and closing his mouth. It's a reaction like you might expect with sudden nerve pain. Scout drools throughout the day, and repeatedly opens and closes her mouth.

Both still have appetites and are otherwise fine. But it's like full dental extraction made no longterm difference.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I mentioned earlier, years ago I had two cats with stomatitis and both had full mouth extractions. Both got better initially and then one relapsed like your two are doing. I do remember the static back then was it works for 50% of the cats. We put the one who relapsed on depo=medrol shots every time he would start to exhibit pain (which was any time from about one month to two months) and that bought him one more comfortable year. Eventually even that stopped working and the only kind thing to do was put him to sleep because the pain of that is a nerve pain like electric shock, like a tooth with a cavity that gets hit with cold water, which is why they startle so when it hits. The other cat never had a recurrence, so he lived to be 19 with no teeth, although he was always a grumpy cat in general.

My advice at this point would be to see if the depo-medrol works for your cats. If nothing else, it will make them much more comfortable within 24 hours and give you time to think of what you want to do. I did have another cat who was on depo for stomatitis for many years with no apparent side effects. My old vet says that cats tolerate being on steroids much better than dogs and humans, so as long as it was working, we kept using it. Sometimes she would go as long as 3 months between shots, but usually it was 6-8 weeks. That was after she had been on it for awhile (for the first few months we did it monthly). It controlled her stomatitis for the rest of her life, and what finally took her out was mammary cancer at the age of 17 years and 9 months.

There may be more options now, but I didn't go looking because the depo was working for her. I kept buprenorphine on hand in case she would have a relapse over a weekend, and that would help the pain until she got her depo the next day, but usually it didnt come on suddenly and I had time to get her the depo shot before it got too bad.

I did read a 2012 article about cold laser therapy and I will give you the link to it here.
One Clinician’s Experience With A New Treatment For Feline Stomatitis

Maybe more has been done since then and it may be a viable option for your cats. Let us know what you do -- I'm sure others will be following also because the full mouth extraction is NOT 100% effective on all cats, so it is good to know what alternatives work for other cats.