Stomatitis fixed after shot, but returns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DNA123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you white shadow for your concern.
Thus far the last shot she was given has kept the swelling down though she is still drooling everywhere and is sleeping more during day and up lots at night. She is still eating pate and drinking water, but I am looking into over-the-counter options.
It is so sad. I don't recall pets having teeth issues when I was growing up. :(

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you're still interested in pursuing a remedy here! 'Things' kind of went in a different direction in your thread. Sorry!

Could you find out (and post) exactly what was this "shot" she received? I have ideas but, best that you ask the Vet (unless, perhaps you received a detailed invoice/receipt and it's indicated there).

From my own experience, I do not believe that any over-the-counter remedy is going to have any effect.

Could I ask where, generally, you're located?

I don't know your 'age growing up' - I do know that during my childhood, "veterinary care" was just not 'a thing'. Even end-of-life matters were dealt with just horribly in today's context. It literally brings tears to my eyes to think about how my childhood dog, a beautiful-in-every-way Labrador Retriever, after sudden-onset GI issues in very old age, ended his life. My God, HOW could they have done that??? But, that was life in rural North America in the 50's.

So, I'm sure there were "pet" teeth issues as you grew up.......but, were they even noticed/recognized?

Just curious, do you use any wet/canned/pouch food with her at all?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a very good question! I'll give you two answers:

1. Slippery elm is often recommended, particularly by holistic vets, for easing cats' bowel problems. Here's a good summary (for humans!) from Mount Sinai Hospital. Slippery elm Information | Mount Sinai - New York

2. I've seen a few mentions that SEB can cause constipation in cats if they go over some threshold dose known only to them -- every cat is different. Our cat who tends to get a little constipated does much better now that she's taking two daily supplements with slippery elm: Feline Gut Soothe and Vet's Best Hairball Relief tablets. (The Vet's Best tablets do include psyllium husk, which also helps ease constipation.) I'll mention again that I did calculations to be sure it would be okay to give the cats multiple remedies with SEB. I based that on the daily 1/4 teaspoon of powder that I've often seen recommended. Our vet has no problem with the amounts I'm giving.

Don't despair if your syrup doesn't come out especially thick or syrupy. Mine never does but it works just fine.

I should add this, too... You've probably already seen this warning but I'll mention it just in case: it's best not to give any pharmaceutical drugs an hour or two before or after administering the elm. The elm may inhibit absorption. If I need to give Edwina some Cerenia, which dissolves and takes effect pretty quickly, I still give the pill an hour or two before giving elm syrup or Feline Gut Soothe.

It sounds like your vet was indifferent when you asked about non-pharma remedies but it's probably good to let them know you're trying these. Our vet was actually excited to hear that Gut Soothe was working so well for Edwina, who has long-time stomach and inflammation problems. The practice manager has a cat who takes it, too, so they were glad to hear it was helpful for another cat!
Thank you..I will keep all this in mind. I hope slippery elm will support him additionally...
Vets are not to keen for any complementary treatment, same as gp's...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you..I will keep all this in mind. I hope slippery elm will support him additionally...
Vets are not to keen for any complementary treatment, same as gp's...
Yes, we're very lucky our vet is all for Gut Soothe. And that the previous practice owner had no problem with the elm.