Stolen/Missing female gray tabby cat from Grimes County Texas! Advice?

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here. I've been trying to post my cat everywhere (facebook, pawboost, ect.) in hopes she will be found or someone could give me information to help me find her but unfortunately I haven't gotten anything. I wish I knew whoever had her's number, license plate number, or even general area where they live so I could get in contact and convince them to give her back but unfortunately I have nothing to go on. I know what they look like and some things they mentioned but it's not enough to easily identify them. I know they are somewhat close to me but I don't know exactly where. All I know is a lady and younger man (guessing the man is her son as he called her "ma/maw) wanted a "mouser" cat for their mouse problem in their house and they have "yard" dogs and don't seem to think of dogs and cats as like, you know, pets, but a lot of people out in the country have yard dogs so this doesn't really narrow it down. My cat is a pet, she doesn't hunt. I was hoping by posting her in county groups on Facebook someone would recognize her because surely someone knows these people? But I haven't gotten anything. I wish there was something more I could do.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you posted on the nextdoor app?
Hello, I have not tried the Nextdoor app, I was going to but I didn't really like that they need your full address. I've been mostly using Facebook groups for my area/county but I've been thinking maybe Nextdoor would be helpful if there's people who aren't in Facebook groups that are on there instead. I'm going to try to post missing flyers of her in every city within my county because I feel there has got to be a way to reach people that would recognize her. Originally I just put flyers within my town but I'd like to try everywhere nearby she could possibly be.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Some places like small pet stores,starbucks,potbelly,panerra bread have bulliton boards. I met my best friend through nextdoor.she was having cat trouble. End up living at the same apartment

SweetLittleKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 404122
Hello, I'm new here. I've been trying to post my cat everywhere (facebook, pawboost, ect.) in hopes she will be found or someone could give me information to help me find her but unfortunately I haven't gotten anything. I wish I knew whoever had her's number, license plate number, or even general area where they live so I could get in contact and convince them to give her back but unfortunately I have nothing to go on. I know what they look like and some things they mentioned but it's not enough to easily identify them. I know they are somewhat close to me but I don't know exactly where. All I know is a lady and younger man (guessing the man is her son as he called her "ma/maw) wanted a "mouser" cat for their mouse problem in their house and they have "yard" dogs and don't seem to think of dogs and cats as like, you know, pets, but a lot of people out in the country have yard dogs so this doesn't really narrow it down. My cat is a pet, she doesn't hunt. I was hoping by posting her in county groups on Facebook someone would recognize her because surely someone knows these people? But I haven't gotten anything. I wish there was something more I could do.
My cat was abducted and abandoned in a middle of nowhere town by my neighbor! It appears that he was trapping and dumping feral cats on his property and he trapped mine and abandoned him. Someone posted on FB a found cat and it was my cat! That lady owned ten acres and she would not make the slightest effort to contain my cat. I had to file a law suit against her and the Judge ordered her to keep my cat inside so I could go pick him up. The court order was on December 14 last year and I got him back December 25.

If there is one person you suspect, follow your instincts and see where they lead. Do not give that person the benefit of the doubt like I did, until he posted a "No Trespassing" sign on his property. He can drop dead and I wouldn't lift a finger he put me through so much pain. I hope you find your cat. All I can say is that I looked for my cat every waking hour in one form or another. If you are willing to spend almost ALL your time looking you might have better luck.

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was stolen?
Unfortunately it seems so. There was people asking around for a "mouser" cat for their mouse problem in their house. I'm out in the country so a lot of people just see cats as "hunters" and dogs are often "yard" dogs tied up outside 24/7. I'm not from here originally so my pets are all indoor pets. They were able to snatch her up because she'd come out on the porch at times. The neighbor saw them driving away and the younger man was in the passenger seat holding her. I saw the people so I know what they look like but they didn't really have any unique features like tattoos or anything to really help people look out for them. We have a camera now but unfortunately didn't have one at the time she was taken and we live in a small town so there's no cameras in the town. My neighbor talked to them before they had left when they were just asking around and he doesn't recall where they said they lived but it was some town nearby here but I really wish I knew where!

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some places like small pet stores,starbucks,potbelly,panerra bread have bulliton boards. I met my best friend through nextdoor.she was having cat trouble. End up living at the same apartment
Thank you for the suggestions! I was going to try vets and shelters but I was thinking somewhere everyone goes to would be more likely, like Walmart but I'm not sure if they allow flyers.

My cat was abducted and abandoned in a middle of nowhere town by my neighbor! It appears that he was trapping and dumping feral cats on his property and he trapped mine and abandoned him. Someone posted on FB a found cat and it was my cat! That lady owned ten acres and she would not make the slightest effort to contain my cat. I had to file a law suit against her and the Judge ordered her to keep my cat inside so I could go pick him up. The court order was on December 14 last year and I got him back December 25.

If there is one person you suspect, follow your instincts and see where they lead. Do not give that person the benefit of the doubt like I did, until he posted a "No Trespassing" sign on his property. He can drop dead and I wouldn't lift a finger he put me through so much pain. I hope you find your cat. All I can say is that I looked for my cat every waking hour in one form or another. If you are willing to spend almost ALL your time looking you might have better luck.
Wow, I'm glad you did end up getting your cat back! My immediate neighbors are decent thankfully. The people who were seen with my cat don't live in my town but somewhere nearby which makes it even more difficult and frustating because I'm not sure where exactly. They were talking to my neighbor about a "mouser" cat and mentioned where they live but he doesn't remember, just that it was somewhere nearby. I'm probably gonna try to go to every town in my county and post flyers and hopefully someone will recognize her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With Nextdoor, be careful not to directly accuse anyone. You can post your story and ask people to be on the look out for your cat, even offer a reward. Sometimes these people will return the cat for a reward as they want the money as much as a mouser. The usual scenario is that the people who took the cat will not contact you directly but will put a friend up to it. The "I just found this cat and he matches your description" ploy.

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With Nextdoor, be careful not to directly accuse anyone. You can post your story and ask people to be on the look out for your cat, even offer a reward. Sometimes these people will return the cat for a reward as they want the money as much as a mouser. The usual scenario is that the people who took the cat will not contact you directly but will put a friend up to it. The "I just found this cat and he matches your description" ploy.
Thanks for the advice, originally when I was posting I just said she was lost and if she's found or seen to contact me so that way if whoever took her saw it might not feel threatened. It didn't seem to reach anyone so I figured she's probably kept inside so nobody's really seen her so I updated with she was taken so that way maybe people would pay more attention if they saw someone with a cat similar to her appearance. I was hoping maybe the people had neighbor's or family who would recognize her from my Facebook post but I haven't got anything. For the flyers I have it kind of vague as well so it sounds more as she's missing then stolen. I thought about putting I was offering a reward as well but I don't have a lot of money to offer so I'm hesitant to if someone really does find her and wouldn't want to return her without a lot of money.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Saying she might have been taken is fine. That may make some people take more notice. If you offer a reward, it has to be for the return of the cat....meaning you get her back. Not for leads as people will mess with that if they are inclined to be mean.

SweetLittleKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! I was going to try vets and shelters but I was thinking somewhere everyone goes to would be more likely, like Walmart but I'm not sure if they allow flyers.

Wow, I'm glad you did end up getting your cat back! My immediate neighbors are decent thankfully. The people who were seen with my cat don't live in my town but somewhere nearby which makes it even more difficult and frustating because I'm not sure where exactly. They were talking to my neighbor about a "mouser" cat and mentioned where they live but he doesn't remember, just that it was somewhere nearby. I'm probably gonna try to go to every town in my county and post flyers and hopefully someone will recognize her.
I forgot to mention that I was reading an article on a veterinarian site, and (trigger alert: sad and alarming information ahead) and the vet who wrote the article said that drug addicts are stealing pets, and then seriously injuring them so they can take them to the vet and get an opiod prescription! When I was searching for my cat there were so many pet thefts I came across, and I thought maybe they were stealing them to sell for $50, but not taking them to the vet for opiods. The vet who wrote the article said that the FBI alerted all the veterinarians.You seem like a person who really loves your cat, and I am too. I rescued my baby from bona fide coyote territory in Southern California and he just loved me so much and was so glad to be inside. Anyways, so loving my cat with all my heart, this was a very painful incident (and in me, too much pain boils into rage) and I can't reiterate enough, any time I woke up IMMEDIATELY I started working on the cat issue, and I did not give up. It took about three and one half months of full time work. So be prepared that if you donate a TON of time, you'll probably get your cat back!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It might help if you make a poster with the words:

REWARD.
For any information leading to the recovery of missing cat.

You don't need to specify how much of a reward you're offering. If they just wanted a mouser and think they'll get cash for giving her back they may contact you. Or someone who has seen your cat might do.

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I was reading an article on a veterinarian site, and (trigger alert: sad and alarming information ahead) and the vet who wrote the article said that drug addicts are stealing pets, and then seriously injuring them so they can take them to the vet and get an opiod prescription! When I was searching for my cat there were so many pet thefts I came across, and I thought maybe they were stealing them to sell for $50, but not taking them to the vet for opiods. The vet who wrote the article said that the FBI alerted all the veterinarians.You seem like a person who really loves your cat, and I am too. I rescued my baby from bona fide coyote territory in Southern California and he just loved me so much and was so glad to be inside. Anyways, so loving my cat with all my heart, this was a very painful incident (and in me, too much pain boils into rage) and I can't reiterate enough, any time I woke up IMMEDIATELY I started working on the cat issue, and I did not give up. It took about three and one half months of full time work. So be prepared that if you donate a TON of time, you'll probably get your cat back!
Wow, that's awful! It's scary what people will do for money or drugs. I've been trying to do everything I can think of to get her back but with it being two years it worries me, my concern is with them seeing cats as just "hunters" and dogs as just "yard" dogs they probably don't take her or any of their animals to the vet or anything so vets probably wouldn't recognize her. I'm going to put flyers in every nearby town and all within the county so hopefully it can reach to someone who would know where she is or whoever has her, or maybe the people would see and consider returning her knowing people are looking for her. I'm thinking somewhere everyone shops would help especially if they don't take their animals to the vet they for sure go to the store but I'm not sure if a grocery store or market would be fine with me putting a flyer up and where exactly I could. I know vets and shelters usually always have a bulletin board.
It might help if you make a poster with the words:

REWARD.
For any information leading to the recovery of missing cat.

You don't need to specify how much of a reward you're offering. If they just wanted a mouser and think they'll get cash for giving her back they may contact you. Or someone who has seen your cat might do.
Thanks for the advice, I added "Reward" to my flyer for her safe return so hopefully it will help!
Am I reading correctly? Your cat has been missing for two years? How horrible.
Yes unfortunately this month marks two years. I know when I posted to a facebook group one guy commented it was absurd because it's been almost two years, but I'd still like to find her and I'm hopeful eventually someone will see the flyers or posts and recognize her. I've heard of pets being reunited after years so I figure it wouldn't hurt to keep posting in case she is found or recognized.

SweetLittleKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's awful! It's scary what people will do for money or drugs. I've been trying to do everything I can think of to get her back but with it being two years it worries me, my concern is with them seeing cats as just "hunters" and dogs as just "yard" dogs they probably don't take her or any of their animals to the vet or anything so vets probably wouldn't recognize her. I'm going to put flyers in every nearby town and all within the county so hopefully it can reach to someone who would know where she is or whoever has her, or maybe the people would see and consider returning her knowing people are looking for her. I'm thinking somewhere everyone shops would help especially if they don't take their animals to the vet they for sure go to the store but I'm not sure if a grocery store or market would be fine with me putting a flyer up and where exactly I could. I know vets and shelters usually always have a bulletin board.

Thanks for the advice, I added "Reward" to my flyer for her safe return so hopefully it will help!

Yes unfortunately this month marks two years. I know when I posted to a facebook group one guy commented it was absurd because it's been almost two years, but I'd still like to find her and I'm hopeful eventually someone will see the flyers or posts and recognize her. I've heard of pets being reunited after years so I figure it wouldn't hurt to keep posting in case she is found or recognized.
Such an adorable little kitty yours is! However, when I got my cat back, he was never the same. Never the funny little loving nut he once was. He became a grump who would growl and swat my face. He had been scheduled for dental surgery prior to his abduction, so at first I thought it was the need for dental extractions. I had the extractions done, which was very expensive ($750) but that didn't change much. I don't know if he was reverting to a semi-feral state, or what. I still love him to pieces though. Even though he is not the same, I am fortunate to have closure because I would not have given up trying to find him either, like you. I made an appointment with the vet (who is not a cat behaviorist) and told him, "sometimes I wonder if this is even my cat!" And the vet said it IS my cat (and it is). It can be a little difficult to make identifications over internet photos. There are pet Amber alerts (I paid $50 to call about 1,000 people in my immediate vicinity), and there are FB ads (I paid $15 for a facebook ad) and there are specific facebook groups for stolen pets. One night I had taken a nap, got on the local FB group, and I was so distressed thinking "why hasn't there been ANY response of any kind" and lo and behold there was my cat on facebook!!! I was still groggy and I had to do a double take as they say. I just couldn't believe it. So, I wish you all the luck in the world. I hope your kitty is a lucky kitty and you find him! (Also, I only offered a fifty dollar reward. If I had more at the time I would have paid two or five thousand dollars!)

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's heartbreaking. I truly hope you find her.

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I had a question as well, is there a way I can check her microchip? Like the info on it? My cat was microchipped when I adopted her from the shelter but I'm not sure the info that's on it. When I adopted her I was still a teen so the info that was filled out at the shelter is under my mom's name. I have her adoption papers and her microchip number is on it. I tried to check it with the site, but they don't show the info, however I did notice it shows the site the chip is enrolled with and the date the microchip shows it was last updated BEFORE I adopted her? She was adopted 08/07/18 and the chip was last updated 7/17/18? Does this mean our info was never added to the chip? I know I should've looked into this as soon as she was missing but to be honest with you I had no idea how the chip worked. I thought to change the info you had to have the pet and it be changed in person by the vet, I didn't realize it could be updated by the chip number! I just remember my mom saying the vet does it when we first took them to the vet and that they can update the chip? So I assumed our address and info was on there. Since we've since moved I've been really wanting to check the info and update it but I'm not sure what's even on the chip, like who's info is on it? I thought by looking up the chip it would have given the info on it so then I could see if it was our address and number or maybe if whoever took her found out about the chip and was able to change it so then I'd be able to contact their number. I suppose having that into public would be bad but the only way to get the chip number would be if the pet was found or the people posted it so I figured it was public. I don't know, honestly I'm a bit confused how it works. If the microchip is enrolled then is it registered? Does it sound as if it was not registered? Could it just have the shelter's info then and not been updated with our info? I'm including a screenshot of what shows up for me.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have only dealt with Home Again microchipping. In my experience, they become very tight lipped as soon as all of the correct information is not given, but it is worth a try. I have been able to get them to add me as a contact for a friend who was in the hospital long term and whose dog was living with her irresponsible daughter....and they did call me when the dog got lost in FL, so some good came from it. If there is a phone number for the microchip company, you need to call. My vet has never updated a microchip for me. When I microchip, they ask for all the information and register it immediately under my name. I have never changed a microchip identification so I am not sure how difficult it is.

What Home Again usually does is to call the registered owner if an animal is found. They will not give the owner information to the caller, at least not in my experience. If an animal is brought to a vet to be scanned for a chip and one is found, the vet will take the animal and assume responsibility for it and contact the owner. It is not given back to the finder.

All of this could certainly vary from company to company and around the country.