stitches?

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I still drop my jaw at your health system when it comes to charges like that
And where are you from?

This is the reason that I never go to the doctors for anything unless I absolutely positively have to.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

And where are you from?
The UK. We pay a small amount from our salary to our National Health Service, and that covers us for anything medical, even any major operations

A lot of people put our health service down, but personally i've found them to be ok. My youngest brother died of cancer last year, but the care he had from his own local doctor, to the hospital where he was treated, right down to the cancer nurses who came to their home on a daily basis was excellent.

The only thing you have to pay for extra is prescriptions, but again compared to what you have to pay it's nothing really

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The UK. We pay a small amount from our salary to our National Health Service, and that covers us for anything medical, even any major operations

A lot of people put our health service down, but personally i've found them to be ok. My youngest brother died of cancer last year, but the care he had from his own local doctor, to the hospital where he was treated, right down to the cancer nurses who came to their home on a daily basis was excellent.

The only thing you have to pay for extra is prescriptions, but again compared to what you have to pay it's nothing really
I hear ya...Perscriptions are also rediculous here. I try to take advantage of the health care system any way that I can. It makes me feel like kind of an evil person, but if I can get something for free or way less than normal I'm going to take advantage of that.

I know that the US is a horrid place to live (all around not just because of our medical care) but I thank god for places like Planned Parenthood that take care of women like me for little to no charge. And all the good volunteer doctors and nurses that work in free care clinics.

I'm hoping to be able to move out of the states one day.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last year, I was slicing lemons prior to guests arriving in 45 minutes (I was hosting a bridal shower). I was alone; DH had offered to make himself scarce for the party. Well, he had just bought new Martha Stewart knives, which were new and very sharp. My hand slipped, and I cut the side of my left-hand index finger, almost to the bone. It was so funny: I thought, "Hey, I put a ton of work into this party, and I'll be darned if I'm going to the ER if I don't need to!" I just wrapped the finger in a paper towel, and went on slicing lemons, ensuring that I didn't bleed on the food! I then called DH, and asked him to come home to help me do some final preps--doing stuff 1-handed was hard. Bless him, he did so.

My finger bled continuously for 5 hours. I even got a bit woozy about 2 hours into the party, but didn't let anyone know. Meanwhile, DH went out and bought something--can't remember--he told me they didn't sell butterflies anymore. At any rate, nothing we did helped.

Despite all the above, I had a blast! It was the nicest afternoon I've had in ages.

I still have a small, crescent-shaped scar.

Hope your finger is on the mend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Last year, I was slicing lemons prior to guests arriving in 45 minutes (I was hosting a bridal shower). I was alone; DH had offered to make himself scarce for the party. Well, he had just bought new Martha Stewart knives, which were new and very sharp. My hand slipped, and I cut the side of my left-hand index finger, almost to the bone. It was so funny: I thought, "Hey, I put a ton of work into this party, and I'll be darned if I'm going to the ER if I don't need to!" I just wrapped the finger in a paper towel, and went on slicing lemons, ensuring that I didn't bleed on the food! I then called DH, and asked him to come home to help me do some final preps--doing stuff 1-handed was hard. Bless him, he did so.

My finger bled continuously for 5 hours. I even got a bit woozy about 2 hours into the party, but didn't let anyone know. Meanwhile, DH went out and bought something--can't remember--he told me they didn't sell butterflies anymore. At any rate, nothing we did helped.

Despite all the above, I had a blast! It was the nicest afternoon I've had in ages.

I still have a small, crescent-shaped scar.

Hope your finger is on the mend!
OMG! Yes doing things one-handed is becoming a chore. I am afraid to put pressure on the finger too. So far it isn't bleeding through the 2nd band aid. Even though I was told not to tie it, it seemed to do the trick. I have to redress it before but but I am afraid too.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took pictures. It literally took 10mins to get a good picture. The flash was too bright and the one light was too dull. LMAO

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always hesitate to post any kind of medical advice, but if you're not going to the Dr (lol, i don't usually either), thought I would give you a tip. Do not redress your finger-- keep reinforcing the dressing or bandaid. Every time you remove that dressing you are taking a step back in the healing process. You will either remove the clots that have formed or just iritate it enough to make it start bleeding again.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I still drop my jaw at your health system when it comes to charges like that
A mail clerk at work sawed his hand when he was pruning an apple tree. He had 11 stitches and his ER bill was $1400. When my rib snapped in two and I went to the ER, I had xrays, 3 shots and 2 anti-nausea pills and my ER bill was around $1900. Of course we both have insurance, his is better, he has a $50 deductable and I have $250. But you're are right....emergency visits are incredibly expensive over here.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

A mail clerk at work sawed his hand when he was pruning an apple tree. He had 11 stitches and his ER bill was $1400. When my rib snapped in two and I went to the ER, I had xrays, 3 shots and 2 anti-nausea pills and my ER bill was around $1900. Of course we both have insurance, his is better, he has a $50 deductable and I have $250. But you're are right....emergency visits are incredibly expensive over here.
Yep I so hate the ER.

It doesn't look bad in the pictures but you can't (and I can't) tell how deep it went.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good Michele..... (sounds weird saying that LOL, but....I've seen ones that didn't look good)

Keep it covered though......(I still suggest the quick healing bandaids tho....they work wonders) that way it doesn't keep opening up

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not only am I a total sissy when it comes to stitchs, I live in the US and am uninsured. The state I now live in permits the hospitals to garnishee your wages (25% of your gross!) for unpaid bills, so I no longer see doctors until it is literaly life or death.

I read an editorial a few days ago knocking the idea of National Health care such as the UK has, and it made my blood boil. This arrogant so and so states that those of us who are un or under insured have only ourselves to blame for not taking advantage of the educational system and having a good job with good benefits like he has.

Excuse me? I took advantage of that system many years ago, and had a trade and excellant insurance throughout the eighties and ninetys. First my trade was hit by outsourcing, then the plant I worked at for the next nine years shut down. Now of course the recession has hit our area extremely hard, and frankly, the few places still in operation are hiring undocumented workers who cannot file workers comp. or unemployment claims. Basically disposable employees. Here I thought I was doing well to adjust to and hold a part time food service job when I was used to much better conditions, and he says that I and the thousands like me are at fault?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of blood, large cut, likelihood of it opening up repeatedly, hitting a vein, etc. are all good reasons to go to ER or to a doc who can see you immediately.

If it stopped bleeding that's good, but it's always a good idea to get it looked at.

I once cut myself with a S30V carbon steel Benchmade brand knife - which is to say, a very high quality, ridiculously scary-sharp knife that could do a lot of damage all too easily. I hit and completely severed a small vein because it went deep enough. I went to the ER immediately. It just wasn't worth taking a chance. Stitches aren't that painful IMO and are really easy to remove yourself if they give you a suture removal kit. If in doubt, have it looked at.

ETA: I just saw the pictures. That could have been worse. I'd still have it looked at though. Was the knife at all rusty? If so, you might want to ask your doctor about whether you should get a tetanus booster.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

ETA: I just saw the pictures. That could have been worse. I'd still have it looked at though. Was the knife at all rusty? If so, you might want to ask your doctor about whether you should get a tetanus booster.
Not rusty at all. Luckily I had my tetanus shot day after having my son.