Stinky Stool

whoalookitsme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I've had my cat for almost two year and every time she poops it really stinks.

When she was a kitten I fed Purina One Kitten Formula till she was a year old then we switched to Iams Adult Food thinking it may help and it hasn't. She is at an ideal weight being around 8pounds and i would like her to stay that way. My boss' at the vet clinic told me to try another food which is why we switched to Iams. I'm just wondering if i switched to the right food or is this just a cat issue? I can live with it but just curious.
By the way she has always been fed a dry diet. I haven't tried too many wet foods but she seems to like her dry more and i like the dry because it keeps her teeth free of tartar.

danewillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We feed Taste of the Wild kibble and Evo canned and our litter boxes really only have a smell (that I notice) when the cats have just left a fresh one in them. I think food does make a difference. What goes in, must come out.

Julie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may want to look for a food with out chicken or meat by products ... Soy is another odur causer

Where can you shop?

FYI dry does little for teeth unless it is a Dental certified diet

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My cat's "output" seemed normal until, at 2 years old, our vet put her on a prescription diet due to allergies. Ever since then, phhhhewwwww! The smell "could gag a maggot!"

Some foods just have that effect. My non-allergic cat loves the prescription food as a special treat. If he eats too much of it, his poop smells too, so it's not just Bonnie!

The brand's manufacturer, Royal Canin, offers non-Rx food as well. Recently I noticed that one of their cans is labeled "Now with Odor Control!" Apparently they must have gotten some complaints!

So, yeah, it seems to be a normal variation.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its no different than with people. Your general state of health and certain foods affect the smell of your poo, pee, and even body in general (for people a high protein and fat diet w/ onions, curry, asparagus, caffeine, and garlic can be raunchy heh).

There is nothing wrong with dry food, but it is ill advised to have an exclusively dry diet. I would make at least one of the meals wet, although I don't think that will resolve your issue.

I would recommend more exercise, a probiotic, and a slow change to a new dry food.

Personally, I am a fan of the Wellness brand, and currently am feeding a mixed diet of their adult chicken dry formula and chicken wet. With the active enzymes in Swheat Scoop perhaps contributing, there is little odor. They did have a spout of diarrhea before though, and WOWEE was that bad! *shudder*

mommyclimber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I once read that since cats are carnivores, non-meat stuff such as corn, grain, wheat, etc., passes right out, which is what causes the bad smell. High meat content (definitely not by products) is important

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mommyclimber

I once read that since cats are carnivores, non-meat stuff such as corn, grain, wheat, etc., passes right out, which is what causes the bad smell. High meat content (definitely not by products) is important
Partly correct... wheat is equal in digestibility to some fish... rice often is equal or more digestible than common meats like lamb

Some meats also cause an odur ... Lamb and fish are the two main ones

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Iams gave some of my cats really stinky poop also. I switched away from that brand pretty quick.
Same here - couldn't stand the smell. I had more a problem w/ stinky stools w/ Iams, but I have also had a problem w/ some Purina ONE formulas having the same effect.

mommyclimber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Partly correct... wheat is equal in digestibility to some fish... rice often is or more digestible than common meats

Some meats also cause an odur ... Lamb and fish are the two main ones
Thanks for the correction. I am learning every day.