Stinky Kitty

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin always smells. It's not an overly offensive odour (to me) but it's certainly not pleasant. I have seen her groom herself but it seems ineffective. Yesterday I picked her up and my palm had a streak of poop as a result. I gave up and bathed her today (she took it pretty well) but I don't want to resort to it frequently.

As I am the replacement mumma cat should i just wipe her with a damp cloth a couple of times a day til she can do it herself? I'm almost considering getting her a slightly older buddy from a shelter to act as an older sibling/playmate/model.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she has a diarrhea problem. There really isn't supposed to be any loose poop on their end even if they don't clean too well back there. If there is their stool is too loose. How old is pumpkin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around 7-8 weeks. When I scoop they are usually pretty firm other than occassionally sticking to the scoop a bit. Two poops a day.

She just came in to my room and there's something in the fur next to her anus. Stool is formed but a bit sticky.

Most likely taking her to the vet this week since her brother (with a different owner) died with no symptoms. Could I ask him if she has diarrhea?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you scoop it should be firm and shaped like a tiny tootsie roll at that age.  If it is more of a circular clump, it's diarrhea.  Little tiny bits can get stuck in their fur and if it has worms it can really be smelly.  I would definitely get her to the vet ASAP if her brother died from an unknown cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems her poop is fine then. She just pooped on the carpet so I got up close with it. Worms is most likely since she is an ex-farm kitten.