Stinky food for Kitten

cdee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to take our newest addition, Poe (9 weeks), to the pet ER yesterday because she had a 104 fever, lethargic, and her inner eyelids were out. The vet gave her subcutaneous fluids, put her on clavamox, and gave me a can of Hill's Prescription Diet a/d to entice her to eat for her strength, and we'd see what happened over night.

That little kitten ate that food like it was going out of style. She was eating before she got sick but it's so obvious that she dug the Prescription Diet way more that the moist kitten chow she's been eating. The can is almost gone and we want her to keep eating like that. Can anyone recommend a kitten-friendly, "stinky" canned food to keep her munching?

btw... Poe has bounced back overnight. No fever, eyelids are receding, and she's bouncing around like a crazy kitty now

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed a "fish recipe" too often, but anything with fish in the top five ingredients tends to be on the more aromatic side IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We ran out of the Hill's so we went out before I got to see your answers. We started reading some labels and picked out a couple cans to try.. We didn't want to go switching foods up on her too much so we picked a can of Felidae and a can of Nutro max. I gave her some Felidae when we got home and she scarfed it right up. The best part about it is that it's cat & kitten formula so I can feed it to all 3 cats. It's a 13oz can and very affordable. We haven't tried the Nutro can yet.

I did see the Wellness foods and we were talking about trying that if these foods don't pan out well.

Do any of you have any feedback on Felidae or Nutro? They seem like natural healthy foods.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDee

Do any of you have any feedback on Felidae or Nutro? They seem like natural healthy foods.
Lol, you opened up a can of worms. :p
I don't feed Nutro because of the numerous amount of recalls and pet parent complaints associated with their company. Others will say differently, that their pets have thrived on it, etc.
I'm all about trust, and I don't trust Nutro.

cdee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my! I had no idea about Nutro recalls. Thanks for the tip and I'm going to do some research!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We ran out of the Hill's so we went out before I got to see your answers. We started reading some labels and picked out a couple cans to try.. We didn't want to go switching foods up on her too much so we picked a can of Felidae and a can of Nutro max. I gave her some Felidae when we got home and she scarfed it right up. The best part about it is that it's cat & kitten formula so I can feed it to all 3 cats. It's a 13oz can and very affordable. We haven't tried the Nutro can yet.

I did see the Wellness foods and we were talking about trying that if these foods don't pan out well.

Originally Posted by Minka

I don't feed Nutro because of the numerous amount of recalls and pet parent complaints associated with their company. Others will say differently, that their pets have thrived on it, etc.
I feed my DLH Nutro canned food as part of her rotation of canned foods (cat is very very picky
). It has never made her sick. She will eat it for a few nights in a row and for me that is a God send. As I have never met such a picky cat in my life

But I will say I
Felidae, but the cat does not
. So not in my rotation of feeding canned food.

cdee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far I've only opened the can of Felidae. The Poe, the kitten, loves it and eats it right up. The other 2 cats, Kittie & Minus, don't want anything to do with it... but for the 11 yrs I've had those 2 (littermates) they, for some reason, just don't like wet cat food. I don't get it lol. I kept trying different canned foods over the years and they always turn their noses and ask for their dry food. Weirdos lol

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two paws up for both Felidae and Wellness (especially their grain-free versions); another paw down for Nutro.

Glad Poe has begun eating so well for you, CDee!

AC

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh my! I had no idea about Nutro recalls. Thanks for the tip and I'm going to do some research!
Recalls happen and in and of themselves are not a big deal. The Wellness chicken 12oz cans I fed last year were recalled for thiamine deficiency for example even though it doesn't show up on the recall site. Doesn't mean Wellness is bad, and if anything I think its just proof that they have quality-control checks in place. Canidae (Felidae company) hasn't had any recent recalls either per that list, but you'll see just about every large company has: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...odrecalls/#Cat

My two get some of Nutros higher branded lines in their diet along with many others, and they seem to really enjoy it, and I approve of the ingredients. We do usually "sit" on any brand food though having it on the shelf a month+ before consumption, since I buy in bulk and use the oldest stuff first. The shelf life is for years after all, and that is about as safe as humanly possible for any food choice IMO.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad Poe is feeling better
I don't feed much fish to my 4 meezers but fish recipes seem to "stink" more than the rest of the other recipes. There is one out there that really reeks. For the life of me I can't recall the brand but I'm thinking it was Fancy Feast. It was something like a sardine or herring mix and it even looked gross when I opened the can
It might have been Sophisticat because they have a lot of different fish recipes.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So far I've only opened the can of Felidae. The Poe, the kitten, loves it and eats it right up. The other 2 cats, Kittie & Minus, don't want anything to do with it... but for the 11 yrs I've had those 2 (littermates) they, for some reason, just don't like wet cat food. I don't get it lol. I kept trying different canned foods over the years and they always turn their noses and ask for their dry food. Weirdos lol
Cats that won't eat wet don't do so because they are addicted to dry. Most dry is either sprayed with animal digest or flavored with natural or artificial flavorings.
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Recalls happen and in and of themselves are not a big deal. The Wellness chicken 12oz cans I fed last year were recalled for thiamine deficiency for example even though it doesn't show up on the recall site. Doesn't mean Wellness is bad, and if anything I think its just proof that they have quality-control checks in place. Canidae (Felidae company) hasn't had any recent recalls either per that list, but you'll see just about every large company has: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...odrecalls/#Cat
Hmm.. what's this? Innova (Natura Pet), Merrick, By Nature and Blue Buffalo aren't on there. And that's what I feed. How interesting..

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

I don't know where you're getting your info Minka. We've been through this before. You say *numerous* blah, blah, blah.

Nutro has been around 80+ years. Nutro would never have made it where it is today by putting out a defective product. It's your choice not to buy Nutro. I'll say it again and again and again... Nutro now has their own manufacturing plants. There are no compromises on ingredients. None. Nutro can trace every ingredient in any of it's products right back to the supplier if there is a problem. The food is tested 600 times before it hits the shelves. The product is guaranteed. If it's not working for you, take it back where you bought it for a no questions asked refund.

Now, you can't say that about most of the brands you hawk on here

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well we just got our 9 week old kitten and she was being a little standoffish about eating so I bought some cans of nutrisource cat and kitten food it's chicken turkey and lamb I think. It's like $1 for a 5 ounce can and she gets 1/4 can twice a day and dry food in between.

Our kitten LOVES the can food and my husband said it smells but our little kitty can smell it and comes running when I put it down.