Stinky Booty

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and I'm glad I joined! :blush: I have two seven-month-old kitties (technically they are eight-ish since I adopted them at almost two months) and they are brothers. The problem is one of them, Miles, doesn't seem to groom himself properly. Freddie does and never smells, he also has really soft hair now. Miles, on the other hand, has less soft hair and I'm not sure if it is because he doesn't groom himself properly. That's not the problem though, the problem is he doesn't clean his anus much and it stinks like poop most of the time. I'm not sure how to teach him to groom himself well or if he'll just grow into it. Freddie tries to groom him sometimes, and when he's really stinky (or has a bit of dry poop around his anus) I clean him myself with baby wipes (they have no alcohol or artificial scents).

Is there anything else I can do about it? :dunno:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The anal glands may be the cause of the stink. Sometimes they get full of secretions. Some cats need a little help getting the secretions out. You can ask the vet to do this for you and show you how to do it at home. Or look up videos and articles online on how to do it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you're a bit squeamish, I highly recommend letting either your vet or a groomer do this. I can't. I just can't, and I've eaten spaghetti while watching surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! :) If I wash his booty with soap for cats/dogs it doesn't smell anymore though, so I'm not sure it's the anal glands? :headscratch: I don't mind washing him at all, I just wish he would groom himself properly, hehe.