Still 'scooting' after expressing anal glands???

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

My one and a half year old female, Zoe was scooting around on my carpet so I took her to the vet. He expressed both glands and prescribed a week's worth of twice daily amoxicillan (may be misspelled). He didn't seem concerned. That was on Thursday and she is still scooting around. I also detect a strong odor every now and then, which is totally new. Is this cause for concern? I can take her back in tomorrow if need be, I just hate to take her if this is normal.

More about Zoe that may be useful... She eats Blue's Healthy Growth (for kittens) right now because I also have a six month old kitten. The two of them share a small 3oz can of Wellness cat food each night. She is spayed and is strictly an indoor cat. She is short-haired.

Any information you can give me will be apprieciated. I have Googled and searched here but a lot of what I am finding a lot about continued scooting.

Thanks again,
Megan and a very embarrassed, scooting, (and somewhat stinky), Zoe

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could still be in some pain from both the impaction and the expression so she may be doing the scooting to "scratch". What's her stool like, normal or hard? If it's hard, you might want to add some plain canned pumpkin and increase her wet food intake to help make her stool softer and less painful to pass.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. Besides expressing her glands, the vet may also have felt around and up her rectum, not pleasant.
If Zoe starts doing the litter box dance (goes in the litter box, poops a little; exits litter box; goes back in, squats, nothing comes out; repeat five to ten times within one hour), then take her back to the vet. May have a lower GI irritation, which is what the vet thinks Ritz has. (Ritz is currently on Flagyl; constipation not the problem.) Otherwise, irritation should subside soon.