still SCARED....

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by purrrplej

I, too, used the "disability" loophole to be able to keep Murray in the apt. complex I lived in at the time he moved in with me, which didn't allow pets. I suffer from depression, and I got my psychiatrist to write a "prescription" stating that a "companion animal" would be therapeutic for me. (And it's totally true!) There was absolutely no problem with the landlords when I presented this argument.
Our use of the law was true too... we had lived in an apartment for 5 years , with permission from the landlord to have cats. The landlord sold the building ..... the new landlord started tearing down the apartments around us , it became a bad living situation. We were a year from our 5 year plan to buy a house and we had to do something.

We found an apartment that allowed pets but with a HUGE deposit (per cat ) .... one of the kids therapists told us about the 504 accommodation . We contacted the landlord and told them what we were going to do . they were fine with it. The therapist wrote a note and that was it.

Its a year later and we now own so we don't ever have to go through that again.