Still peeing on the floor!

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive posted a few times about my cats issues. It's a behavior issue. She pees on the bathroom floor. No changes to her litter box, placement, or litter brand.

Tried this cat plug in, it had whatever smell cats put off themselves. It worked for a few months. Even though I'm still using that plug in, she's gone back to peeing on the floor.

I'm at my wits end, I need bath mats or a towel on the floor because I fall easy due to a disability. Tired of washing and washing and washing.

Any help at all-no matter how crazy I would love to hear. I want to keep my kitty around.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one kitty kept peeing on the bath mat and I had to get rid of it. Once I got rid of the bath mat, he stopped. The same thing happened to one of my boyfriend's cats at his house. Permanent bath mats/rugs are now banned from all our lavatories! I do put down a small hand towel for when I get out the shower soaking wet, but I pick it up immediately after drying off and hang it over the shower to dry. If the risk of slipping in the bathroom is an issue, I would suggest getting one of those grip mats made of non-slip plastic or rubber. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive replaced them twice. Won't do it anymore. I use a towel, but she still pees on it. Take it all away and she will leave a puddle.

Never used rubber hmmm! That could be the next thing to try. Thank you

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But found out scrubbing bubbles will take the pee off, tested it with the black light ;-)

mokabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat started doing this all of the sudden.  After about a week I took her to the vet.  Turned out she had crystals in her urine.  Apparently if it is just urine and there have been no changes, it is likely a medical issue.  Good luck.  

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have something like a feliway plug in you need to replace the cartridges every couple of months so that might be the problem. You can also get cat attract litter but I do agree it could be a medical issue so do take her to a vet.

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her catbox is in the bathroom. Not much space to put it in my small place. And I've taken her a few times to the vet and tests always come back negative. The cat plug in still is plugged in and i replace the things when its almost empdy.

This morning I put the small towel she peed on into her box, to see if that will work. That's how we used to train grown dogs to go outside so I'm hoping that might work. Also read that cats don't like tin foil so I taped it to her pee spot.

Not sure of an alternative litter box placement. Only place I can think of is dining room, but not sure how to control the smell, and not sure my husband would like to eat near a litter box.

My gears will keep grinding to figure out how to fix it

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Cat Attract litter or the litter attractant additive to the litter of your choice? Have you tried adding another box in case she doesn't like to pee where she poops? How often are you scooping?

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whats cat attract litter? Never heard of it. And Im not keen on getting a second letterbox when I hardly have room for 1.

I've been scooping about once every 3 days. And I use baking soda. The litter box I do have though is extra big. She used to pee on one side and poop on the other side. She still poops on one side only.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat attract litter is a brand of litter that is specially formulated to attract cats to use it (http://www.preciouscat.com/litter-box-solutions). They have both a litter and an additive that you can mix with any litter.

Here is a really great article written by a vet on how to solve litter problems (http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox).

Cleaning the litterbox every three days is not enough. Cats actually have a stronger sense of smell than we do and it bothers them to use a litterbox with waste in it. How would you like to use a toilet that had not been flushed for three days? The litterbox needs to be cleaned at least once a day.

buddha n jack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I'd start by cleaning the litter box every day. My cat peed on the floor when his got too dirty. I saw something about puppy pads. At least that's what i think they are called.

They are like diapers for the floor.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same with my Caesar! I have to scoop twice a day (morning and night) and change the entire box with new litter and disinfect it every other week. If the box is dirty, he will go on the towel in front of the box or on the carpet. He likes a pristine box at all times! Medical issues were ruled out, of course.

Scooping twice a day might not be necessary if you only have one cat. I have three. I would definitely start cleaning the litter box at least once a day.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat attract litter is a brand of litter that is specially formulated to attract cats to use it (http://www.preciouscat.com/litter-box-solutions). They have both a litter and an additive that you can mix with any litter.

Here is a really great article written by a vet on how to solve litter problems (http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox).

Cleaning the litterbox every three days is not enough. Cats actually have a stronger sense of smell than we do and it bothers them to use a litterbox with waste in it. How would you like to use a toilet that had not been flushed for three days? The litterbox needs to be cleaned at least once a day.
Also, scooping more is how to control the smell if you add a box or move the box to the dining room.  I have to have one in my living room.  I control the smell by scooping it 3-4 times a day. It still isn't perfect, and I burn candles sometimes and open windows as a further odor reducing measure, but often, you can't really tell it's there.

Of course, for you, scooping that much would be a dramatic change, but it actually really doesn't take that long and the cats are happier, which means you'll be happier :)

Basically I agree with what's been said generally- scoop at least once a day and add another box if that doesn't work.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What do you use to clean the bathroom floor with?  I was using regular cleaner and the cat still peed on the floor, no matter how much I cleaned it. Then I read on this site about using an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle or something, that breaks down the enzymes in cat urine and removes the pheromone attractant odor. That made a big difference to REALLY remove the smell that the cat was attracted to.

I have not had to get cat urine out of towels or rugs but have read that adding vinegar to the laundry detergent works like an enzyme cleaner to break it down.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah I'd start by cleaning the litter box every day. My cat peed on the floor when his got too dirty. I saw something about puppy pads. At least that's what i think they are called.

They are like diapers for the floor.
Yes, I used those while I was trying to figure out why this cat I have was peeing outside the box.  It sure helped with clean up.  For me it the problem was changing his type of litter, he was NOT happy about that.  I changed back to what he was used to, and also thoroughly cleaned the floor and walls around the litter box with an enzyme cleaner. I still put puppy pads under the litter box, just in case of a relapse, but he hasn't peed outside of his box in weeks!