Still Not Coming Around To The New Addition?

kittymommy3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a few days ago about adopting a new addition, Mercury, and that even after scent swapping before hand, things were still really dramatic. We've had the new addition in our master bath since we got him, trying to continue scent swapping. I brought down the blanket he'd been using and Leo has come around, he snuggled the blanket and figured out that his new buddy was nice and we introduced them one on one and they get along fabulously. Far form best buddies of course but they play together and lay together and such, no hissing, growling or puffy tails/arched backs. Our oldest however, Nova, is still very much against Mercury so Leo only gets playtime with him when the upstairs is closed off so that Mercury can't get downstairs. When Nova found the blanket he immediately hissed, arched his back and spat. He still growls at my husband and I if we call him by name, though if we offer him food or to go in or out he remains docile yet tense. He doesn't growl at Leo to much anymore but he still won't allow him on the couch or chairs, is he trying to reestablish dominance? He wants to stay outside all the time, my husband and I used to be able to pick him up or sit down next to him and he would cuddle in our laps. Now he only comes around if we are asleep and he'll hunker down between us though we can now walk past him without him getting upset. One thing I have noticed is that he stays near our son if he is in the house, not threateningly or anything, just sticking closer to him than he did before, which is saying something because he has always been very protective of our son from the day we brought him home. When we adopted Leo, our son had not been born yet, I was still 8 months pregnant at the time, and there were only a few days of low growls and occasional hisses before they were best buds. Could our son being in the house this time around have something to do with such a drastic difference in reaction? I have never heard of this but is it possible?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I read your previous post. These things take time. I see it still has only been a couple of days since you took in the new cat? Properly introducing cats to each other following the guide previously linked for you is the best way to go. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It can take weeks to months for cats to adjust to new arrivals. You have to go slowly. Take one step at a time.

Since Mercury and Leo are good, you now have to take these same steps with Nova. Feed Nova on a towel that has all their scents combined. Play with him on it, put cat nip on it. This will help him associate good feelings go with all their scents together. I also use 1 grooming brush for all of them, this also helps as part of the scent exchanging.  Refresh their scents on the items frequently, by just rubbing each of them all over with it.

You could do room swapping too. Put Nova in the room you keep Mercury in. Play with him in there, feed him ect. This also help break territorial issues.

Give it time, follow the steps for introductions and they'll work it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymommy3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello, I read your previous post. These things take time. I see it still has only been a couple of days since you took in the new cat? Properly introducing cats to each other following the guide previously linked for you is the best way to go. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It can take weeks to months for cats to adjust to new arrivals. You have to go slowly. Take one step at a time.

Since Mercury and Leo are good, you now have to take these same steps with Nova. Feed Nova on a towel that has all their scents combined. Play with him on it, put cat nip on it. This will help him associate good feelings go with all their scents together. I also use 1 grooming brush for all of them, this also helps as part of the scent exchanging.  Refresh their scents on the items frequently, by just rubbing each of them all over with it.

You could do room swapping too. Put Nova in the room you keep Mercury in. Play with him in there, feed him ect. This also help break territorial issues.

Give it time, follow the steps for introductions and they'll work it out.
Thank you for the tips! Its just so different from when we adopted Leo that it feels like we're flying blind :/

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the tips! Its just so different from when we adopted Leo that it feels like we're flying blind :/
Yea it can be different from cat to cat. Each cat has different personalities, temperaments and how they take to change. I had 1 cat (a foster) take months to accept my 2 cats, and then my latest new guy only took a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymommy3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yea it can be different from cat to cat. Each cat has different personalities, temperaments and how they take to change. I had 1 cat (a foster) take months to accept my 2 cats, and then my latest new guy only took a week.
Ok, Thank you for the reassurance!