Still no kittens?!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you mix the milk and water with egg and honey or karo syrup? It is more nutritional and thicker and the sugar provides a pick me up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
If the cord is really long you can snip it shorter, but it will dry up and fall off in a few days.

Does the mom lick and stimulate the runt when you put him in with her? Can you see if he will latch again?

He will need more food through the night if he doesn't nurse.
She just ignores him when I put him with her

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise

The runt (middle) refuses to take part in feeding time unlike the other eager kittens. Tomorrow I plan to take him to a vet to get him looked at

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried wiping a tiny bit of honey or light karo syrup on his lips or gums.  It will give him instant energy and it may get him eating.

@StefanZ

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The runt (middle) refuses to take part in feeding time unlike the other eager kittens. Tomorrow I plan to take him to a vet to get him looked at
Thus you must take charge yourself, totally.  Keep warm, give human warmt (carrying at your chest is effective), feed it, help with elimination.

A visit to a good vet may be wise, but observe, many vets arent good with weak kittens.  So if your vet isnt experienced with weak kittens, the only he will do is to give her some fluids subCutant - which isnt bad in itself, dehydration is a major danger.

But you can probably save the money, and buy a good kmr or goat milk  (raw goat milk is best)

continue in next post.

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
So I now know that the mother does care about the runt, when it was calling for her she came up and tried to carry it back to the nest, but being so inexperienced she didn't knowehrre to pick it up. When I moved it back to the nest she went back to caring for it

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, you have two steps.

Survive the night.   You had already got sound advices.    If you have evaporated milk, or even any milk, good.

Blend in egg yellow, and karo syrup or honey, + a trifle salt,  it will make a decent emergency  milk. 

If you dont have it, common water, with karo syrup or honey, and perhaps a trifle salt.  will prevent dehydration and buy you some time....

continue

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I now know that the mother does care about the runt, when it was calling for her she came up and tried to carry it back to the nest, but being so inexperienced she didn't knowehrre to pick it up. When I moved it back to the nest she went back to caring for it
Splendid, so itsnt as bad.  Hopefully her instincts will kick in.

but you must be prepared to step in.  So get home the gears just to be sure.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would recommend raw goat milk - shops carrying "natural foods" usually do have it.   Pasteurized bottled or cartooned goat milk is OK too, but not the same excellency.

The alternative is of course a commercial kmr.  The very best is made by PetAG, called for KMR, and is in powder.  Their premade liquid version isnt as good.

Royal canine has a good kitten mothermilk replacement too.

There are also other brands who are OK.

Although some forumists warn against Hartz and Sargeants brands, so beware.

Weak kittens, and kittens who can have mom, have often difficult with bottle.  So an needleless syringe of 1-1,5 ml is easier.

Tummy down, head up, in te corner of the mouth, a couple of drops a time, so you are sure the kittens swallows properly... Burp afterwards like you would burp a baby.

PS.   Giving kmr / milk / whatever - be sure its body temp!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
last post for now.

One more advice.  Get home a scale, best electronical scale measuring in grammes.   And thake weight every day - every 12 hours for this runt - so you see if they gain properly, or need more supplementing....

When you have time, read through  ideas for taking care of  orphans, if you must yourself handle everything..

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/

Goats milk is useful instead of kmr. Raw goat milk is best, but bottled full fat is OK too.

Observe, if an orphan is much bloated, gas-filled, bloated, have colic, simethicone (google on it) may help.  1-2 drop in the bottle.

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

Last message for now.

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hanjisnk hanjisnk

So mom IS caring for the runt! This is good news. :)

How did he do through the night? Were you able to get some feedings in?

You can try putting honey on mom's nipple then putting him to it to see if he will latch.

There is very little a vet can do with a newborn, as Stefan said. They can give you nutrical supplement, which helps, but he will probably only begin to thrive when you hand feed with kitten formula every hour to begin with, then every two hours.

I still hope that he will be strong enough to latch after a day or two of hand feeding. Many runts have little reflex to suckle when born, but after hand feeding return to mom's nipple and quickly outweigh their siblings.

It will take dedication on your part.

It would be good to weigh him daily if you have a scale. A gain of 6-10 grams per day is ideal.

Let us know how it's going! A vet office will also carry KMR and syringes.

Last edited:

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
The runt just died.. I guess he wasn't strong enough to hold on anymore..

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
They're all healthy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry about the little one. I'm glad the others are doing well. :)

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are now over a week old, eyes are starting to open. Some new colors are showing up (gray and white). We believe two are girls and one is a boy

Last edited by a moderator: