Still coping with diarrhea after 10 days

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His being neutered could have some effect on his personality.  Normally male cats actually become move lovable, or so I've read
  Both my males are total lovebugs, but they were neutered very young, and I believe the younger they are neutered the more lovable they are apt to be
.  As far as the lethargy goes, though, I'm not so sure about that.  One of mine has so much energy it's amazing.  He runs so much that we never need to trim his back claws, they are literally just nubs because of our tile floors
.   Now the other one is a lazy bones, but always has been.  

So...if you have noticed a distinct difference in his energy level now than before, and it's not due to him having gained so much weight that he's FAT and cannot move around well, then it might be time for another Vet visit
.  BTW, the only reason a neutered cat should gain weight is if he is eating too much
.  They don't automatically put on weight.  It's true they might not require as much food as before due to hormonal changes, but that just means it's up to their feeder to make sure they don't take in more calories than they will burn...just like us. 

Are you still mixing in some pumpkin into his food every day?  I thought I read where you were, but now I don't see it. 

And I totally get now why you say he is just "ok", not great

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

penelopess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the weruva wet food has pumpkin in it. That is what he gets.

I think that he has always been a lazy cat and sleeping most of the day, but before he was neutered he would have other urges other than food, he would starve himself to stay out all night and walk every house in the block and spray everywhere (sometimes we followed him, often we would go around to look for him -he had a loc8tor pet tracker and we would track him down and bring him home - he had lost several which we couldn't locate and right now we are out of them-). So I think is normal he gained weight due to eating more and spending less time walking around at night. So yeah, he is ok overall but certainly still has lose and yellow stools - so it could be better :)

You are right on the being more affectionate, it is just a small change which probably is entirely due to being neutered as he doesn't have so much urge to go out and spray or wish to fight, but he likes more to be mellow and being petted and scratched. But I feel like a little bit of his affection - or wanting attentions- comes from the fact that I am somewhat taking care of his problem giving him special attentions, such as giving him the diluted gerber food - which he loves and understand he is having a privilege to being fed that, over my other cats- He looks at me differently, he actually looks at me straight in the eyes for long time.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing your neighbors are happy about him not spraying their houses anymore

So...did you ever add just pureed pumpkin to his food (other than that Weruva food...I know which one you are talking about...my cats won't touch that one
)  I still think it's the pumpkin that might be helping firm up the stools, and more, on a daily basis, might be the key.  

You know, I can't remember if we've already discussed this or not, but have you tried giving him probiotics?  The yellow stool indicates his feces are moving thru his system too fast (possibly), and probiotics might be just the thing needed to help with that.  I have my cats on the same probiotics that we take, and I just open up a capsule and mix it into their food once a day.  Some people give 1/2 capsule in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m.  Here is what I use: 

penelopess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link, yes it already came up as I was interested in it but I am glad you reminded me about it.

I ordered that and will receive it soon. How much will I give to him? it says 180 tabs, do I give him one per day? Half? I suppose I will crumble it and sprinkle his food?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can open up the capsule and sprinkle the contents in his food.  You might start with 1/2 capsule in the morning, then if all goes well, increase to 1 full capsule per day.  Many people give 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening.  It's easy to put the capsule back together to save the other half until evening.  I do that sometimes and just set that capsule on top of the bottle.

Also, if you are giving him ANTIbiotics, then give him the probiotics at a different time of day, spread out by at least 4 hours.  I don't know if you are still giving him any antibiotics or not. 

penelopess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not giving right now but good to know how to do in case he will ever need them again. Thank you. Will let you know if these probiotics help him :) -I am pretty confident it will help him a lot--