Still can't "touch" Honey (after 5 months)

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last March I took in a 6 month old female to foster. She was found in a loading dock in the cold of February, and the people who found her (thank God), called a rescue group instead of Animal Control. Anyway, she stayed with one foster for about a month, and I was told that she loved the other cats, but would not allow any human contact.

I agreed to take her, and felt that with enough time she'd come around. Well, I've had her alomost 6 months now, and I still can't pet her! I sweet talk her all day, and respect her space, i.e., no surprise touching. She will sit right next to me on the floor or the coffee table. I always extend her my hand and she'll sniff without running away. But as soon as I move my hand to touch her she quickly runs off.

My main concern is that she will be almost impossible to adopt out if this continues. Although I'm seriously considering keeping her with me, I wish I could socialize her to humans (at least me!). Any advice??

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are touch-me-nots, even those who have always been around people.

But many of us have seen these situations change suddenly. One day, the cat decides it wants a little petting, and it turns into a cuddlebug. I'm not saying that will happen with your foster...but don't be surprised if it does!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with mrblanche. Some cats just never want to be touched, some just one day seem to become more friendly. Although as you said, I don't know how many people would deal w/ that - doesn't bother me but then again it would bug most 'normal' people.

A very different situation, but it happens - I have an 11 y/o spayed/female - unsocialized. I brought her in the house about 2 years ago. She now will approach me & let me pet her, & believe it or not crawled in my lap a few nights ago!! Otherwise she's always been very 'slap happy' if I move too fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.... I'll keep up hope that she'll jump in MY lap one day. If not, it's alright; she's here to stay

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
3 years ago we took in a litter of 7-week old ferals. 2 of the 3 came around quickly and found a wonderful, loving home together. The 3rd, well, she still lives here. I would say that in the past year we have seen her grow the most. She will sit in the same room with us and wants daily pets, as long as the session lasts about 5 minutes and happens on our bed. Otherwise, we can't touch her. Every once in a blue moon she will come sit on the arm of the couch and let me touch her head.

She is super sweet to the other cats and appears to be happy in every way, just doesn't want a lot of people contact. And she is sweet to us, in her own way. But, as stated above, we are cat people and will tolerate and understand this behavior. But, it's the same reason we decided to stop trying to adopt her out....she isn't what 'most' people want in a cat they pick up at Petsmart. She would either be returned, abused or thrown outside and neglected by most adopters.

So, she lives with us. After 3 years, I'm thrilled with where she is. At 6 months, she was still screaming when we approached her. Just hang in there, some of these guys take a looong time.