Still battling diarrhea :(

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. I wish I had a positive update but unfortunately it's still the same old problem.

After I got back to my apartment on the 25th of October, I gave Allen a few days to see if his system would return to normal. It did seem too - up to the weekend, we had relatively normal poops in the litterbox. By the weekend, however, we were back to the absolute GOO of diarrhea. I called the vet on Monday, and he recommended that I maybe try Endurosyn, an oral gel to help his gastrointestinal system. It's a three dose tube, one dose a day. He got the first dose Monday evening, and then the second yesterday. Monday and yesterday, he had normal looking poops - maybe a little soft, but they had shape. I'm going to split up the last dose into two, so he'll get a push tonight and the last tomorrow night.

This morning at 3am it was back to the GOO. It was so loud it woke me up
After cleaning the litterbox this morning I discovered he'd had more diarrhea earlier in the evening.

Just as a recap, roughly 2 weeks ago I switched him back to Purina kitten food and added wet food into his diet, thinking maybe it was the combination of him being on adult dry food solely that was giving him stomach problems. Now he gets 1/4 cup dry food in the morning, and 1/4 cup dry food in the PM mixed with a 1/4 of a can of the wet food, mixed together.

Now I just don't know what to do. I KNOW it's not normal for him to have any amount of diarrhea, and cleaning it is horrible, as it smells and it increases the risk of him tracking it out of the litterbox. Part of me wonders if the first treatment of tapeworm didn't get it all out of his system. His appetite seems to have increased to that weirdly high proportion (like it was before he was treated), and he seems to be guzzling his water again. But I haven't found anymore proglottids on my bed, which was the conclusive evidence to me that he DID have tapeworms.

We go into the vets on Friday in the morning, and I'm not sure what the vet will recommend. I took a picture of the diarrhea in his litterbox and will post the picture if anyone thinks it could help.

femmynfalkor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I haven't read any of you previous posts, but my cats had Tritrichomonas foetus which causes nasty loose stools that can get better and worse. My oldest cat suffered worse from it...it was nasty. It is often mistaken for giardia and the treatment is tricky. Here is a website with some info. http://www.tffelines.com/

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tritrich is a definite possibility. It can be tricky to catch because in is not present in all stool samples. It can go "dormant", meaning it is not always shedding. See if you can get a few samples to the vet for testing. The other tricky thing about Tritrich testing is that the samples are supposed to be clean, meaning no litter.

Other possibilities to explore with your vet are protein allergies and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have the vet do another fecal and have it checked for the normal worms, as well as the other stuff like giardia and TF (read the link posted by the previous poster). You may need to collect a sample. If possible, it needs to be fresh. Just scoop from the litter box and put into a ziploc bag and store in the fridge until it's time to go. (I know that sounds really gross, but it will preserve the sample.)

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Have the vet do another fecal and have it checked for the normal worms, as well as the other stuff like giardia and TF (read the link posted by the previous poster). You may need to collect a sample. If possible, it needs to be fresh. Just scoop from the litter box and put into a ziploc bag and store in the fridge until it's time to go. (I know that sounds really gross, but it will preserve the sample.)

Stephanie
On Friday I am definitely asking the vet what is normally looked for in their fecal analysis. I'm assuming giardia is not?

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In most case giardia and tritrich are not on the usual fecal check list.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KyleW

In most case giardia and tritrich are not on the usual fecal check list.
.... Tritich is a Definite separate test

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they test a stool sample at the vet here, they do what they call a 'fecal float' if I am remembering correctly. Basically they visually look to see if there are any worms, or presence of coccidia/giardia. I *think* there are "snap tests" for coccidia/giardia that can be done also.

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner... GIARDIA!

Smear and snap test came back positive. He'll get his antibiotics, and mommy is going to rush home and bleach the litterbox.

But I'm so relieved, I KNEW something was wrong.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations?
While it's not good news to know that you cat has giardia, it is good news to know what has been causing the problems, and that it can be addressed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had giardia kitties - I used non-scoopable litter while they were being treated. The box got dumped out & disinfected 2x/day to ensure the kitties didn't re-infect themselves.

Do yo know the name of the medication they gave you? If it is Flagyl/Metrodinazole it is a very bitter medication, as a word of forewarning.

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, yes, it's an oxymoron. I'm happy that I now know my cat is sick

I've been reading other topics on giardia and I don't know if I asked the vet enough about treatment (he called me at work). He mentioned panacur and I believe also mentronidazole, but I was so excited at having a diagnosis I didn't ask for clarification. I don't know if he is giving me a take-home treatment or doing an injection in the office?

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bitter is an understatement when it comes to metronidazole. If that's the medicine of choice, see if your vet or local pharmacy can compound it into beef/chicken flavor liquid. If it's pills, as the vet for little gel caps into which you can put the pill. If your cat gets a taste of metro, your in for a struggle

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've switched to Pancur to treat giardia at the shelter, with a fairly good success rate. We use the powder form, so just add it to a small amount of canned food & ensure they eat it all.

With the Flagyl we were having to treat for more than one round, and honestly were euthanizing cats rather than treating them, as they were not medicatable with Flagyl.

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he spit up the first attempt at the metro. Can I mix it into some canned food? They gave me tiny syringes for it, he needs 2ml twice a day.