Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That’s weird, but don’t worry.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 7 days post amputation today. He wears a donut instead of a cone. Which if not put on tightly it can rotate around to the strap under his chin, giving his access to the bottom half of his incision.
I check on him almost every hour to 2 hours through out the night. I just got up a t 545 and last check on him at 3ish maybe even 5 I just don’t remember bc I was sleepy. But his donut was upside down and I noticed a white string coming out of his skin, that looks thick and weird. He definitely got a good chance to lick, but I have no idea how much licking he did. I’m wondering if I should be concerned. The photo where it’s more visible is the way I found it. The photo where it’s harder to see is after I light poked it to see it’s strength. It truly looks like a part of his body or skin. Not like a man made stutchure. Should I talk to my vet or am I a worried Nancy ?

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I can't quite tell what it is, it appears that part of the incision might be open right around that white thing. Almost looks like they either need to add another stitch or use surgical glue to close it back up.
Send those pictures (and maybe a few additional ones) to your vet and see what they say.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with sending a picture to your vet,, but it looks like an internal dissolvable suture to me. The external suture isn't dissolvable, but they probably used a different suture inside.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would call the vet just to be sure. I have a dog who is an amputee and while everything went well, I was in close contact with the hospital after the surgery. There are no dumb questions and your cat had serious surgery for which you paid a lot.

tripawds.com

This is a support group for those who have animals who are amputees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sent the photos into the vet, it was just some normal discharge. I just thought it looked so strange. She said it looked good tho overall.