Stevie The Amazing Blind Kitten

benlakhela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my research to find out as much about blind kittens, I found this site.

I'm Stevie's foster mom and figuring things out as I go along. Overall, Stevie is happy and getting healthier every day. Although he's blind, he does everything a seeing cat can do including using the litter box, chasing toys, and climbing anything and everything! We've made sure he has toys galore to stimulate him and keep him busy. What I still am trying to determine is whether or not he needs to have surgery around his eye sockets. He has daily leakage, combination of clear liquid and blood (I'm assuming since it's rust colored). From what I've read so far, the recommendation is to sow the eyelids shut to avoid infection, but I'm still not 100% sure that is what he needs. If anyone reading this post has additional information on this, I would love to hear from you. Whatever Stevie needs, we plan to do for him. We also need to find him a loving home! He has survived living on the streets of Tunis and would make a wonderful companion for the right person/family. My husband (he who named him) and I plan to cover the cost for any necessary surgery and for transporting Stevie from his current home (Tunisia) to his new home, wherever that might be.

I'm sure if you've read this far you are asking yourself, why isn't she keeping Stevie? The answer is we have already been blessed with four rescue animals, 3 cats and a dog from Tunisia. Ghost, our handsome boy who came to us first when he was 6 years old and whom we never thought would be domesticated. Boy were we wrong. Stinky a sweet loving kitten who walked through our front gate at 8 weeks with a little help from my mom, who opened the gate for her. As I like to say, she was a wedding gift from my mom since she showed up the day before our wedding. Bo who we rescued from underneath a police van. My husband said we would only take her if she came to us. Well, she leaped into his arms and the rest is history. And to round everything out, we also adopted Ivy our beagle/terrier mix when she was a puppy.

Though we have a full house, we still try to help any animal that comes our way, Stevie being our most recent foster kitty. Stevie is amazing and wonderful and needs to find a forever home but not just any home. He needs to find the right home that will make him feel safe and loved.

If you or someone you know would be interested in adopting Stevie, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I think he would do great alone but also with a sibling.

Thanks for reading about Stevie!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :hithere: And thank you for fostering and caring for sweet Stevie. :catlove: If you don't decide to keep him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he claims you and your family as his own, I wish you luck finding the perfect home for him. :redheartpump:

If you haven't read it yet, check out this book about an amazing blind kitty:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benlakhela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the encouragement and book recommendation. I'll be sure to check it out!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: You certainly came to the right place for help and support. Stevie was lucky to find you or visa versa. My first thought was to take him to an animal ophthamologist but I don't know if you have an animal specialty hospital near you. Perhaps others will weigh in to give you their personal knowledge and/or advice. In the meantime, thank you ever so much for showing Stevie your love and devotion. :redheartpump:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're always happy to welcome a new member to our community, and doubly happy when that person is so loving and involved in rescuing animals from the street! Stevie is a sweetheart! I grew up with a Russian Blue, and have a weakness for gray cats in general. And torties and calicos. And black cats. And...well. I'm just a sucker for a cat. We'd love to see pics of your other cats AND your dog!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
2CC70736-F77C-4C8A-815C-46A5587DE54E.gif

On behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
1F7D2CD4-4B6A-4AEC-BCE3-F2FCB757A8F7.gif
to all of you.

Thank you for fostering Stevie and for having a part in taking in resues.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and and here are something to get you started with the site :-

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Do post photos of your kitties for us to see and also do check out the many informative articles here too Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benlakhela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my haste to write about Stevie, I forgot to mention he does not have eyes. According to the vet he was born with them, but due to disease lost them. This is why I am looking into having his eyelids surgically closed in order to avoid infection. They don't appear to be closing on their own and will most likely need help. However, this will not be done in Tunisia since the vets here have no experience with this type of surgery. Still researching this and will let everyone know once a decision is made.

As requested, I've attached pictures of Ghost (looks like a Norwegian Forrest cat but acts like a dog). Ghost is all about the love and has become very playful since moving into the house a year ago. He is also almost as big as our dog Ivy, who is half beagle and half Tunisian street dog (picture to come later). Ivy adores kittens and immediately becomes their protector in our house, including Stevie who she is actually scared of. Ivy makes sure the other cats in the house keep their distance since none of them are happy that he is in the house. Stevie actually has his own room away from the other cats and Ivy. Our last two cats are Stinky (a tabby) and Bo (black/white) pictured together.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great pictures. Love the last one, with the 2 cats. :)

About Stevie, you might get more members seeing and replying to your query in the Cat Health forum. So maybe start another thread there.