Steroids & heart disease

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I have seen posts related to steroids (i.e. Prednisolone) & heart problems, but I just wanted to give confirmation: my cat has IBD. The regular vet heard a heart murmur, did a "combo" ultrasound to look at his IBD again & his heart. Then referred me to a cardiologist (saw fluid around his heart) & thinks the IBD either looks severe or turned into lymphoma (so working on cancer dr. also, to confirm which).

After $1,000 at the cardiologist, she saw on echo-cardiogram changes to his heart (I won't get into the details). She said that it either would have otherwise developed, or it is due to the steroids. She confirmed that the steroids can cause heart damage.

We are now working with Internal Medicine to work on getting him off the steroids-to see if his heart will recover to the point of not needing medicine, while at the same time trying to figure out if he has cancer or bad IBD, & then managing whichever one, so he's not in pain. He's been on Prednisolone for 6 months. My suggestion: work with your vet to get your cat off steroids asap, & get the IBD under control thru other ways.

I am in the same boat as so many of you, struggling with finding solutions to what seems like an "unmanageable disease." Never stop researching for solutions.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry that you are faced with these issues with your kitty; they are certainly daunting. You have done a lot to try to help your boy; I just replied to your other thread about allergy testing. However, now that I read this, I definitely would not throw what could be an important piece of information which could involve IBD or lymphoma to a mail in test. Certainly the bills are running up, but with the suspicion of either one of those conditions I would continue to work with your vets as much as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry that you are faced with these issues with your kitty; they are certainly daunting. You have done a lot to try to help your boy; I just replied to your other thread about allergy testing. However, now that I read this, I definitely would not throw what could be an important piece of information which could involve IBD or lymphoma to a mail in test. Certainly the bills are running up, but with the suspicion of either one of those conditions I would continue to work with your vets as much as possible.
Yes, thank you. I have him seeing an Internal Medicine and Cardiologist, in the same office, so they coordinate. I mostly posted this message, so others would know to be careful & ask questions of their vet, if their cat is on steroids. We are as much advocates for our own health, as we are for any animal dependent on us. Constant research. Thanks again!