Steroid shots and coughing/sneezing

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old male received a steroid shot on Tuesday for asthma (first time) 3-4 days later he has been doing this cough/sneeze thing and acting "off" he is still eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, and will half play with a string if you give him one but he's a lot more subdued. Is all this normal?? I'm mostly concerned about this cough/sneeze thing he is doing

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is the cough sneeze thing possibly his asthma? Do you have other cats? Have you checked the home g FF or anything that might be triggering him, like candles, air fresheners, anything perfumed or anything at all that could cause inflammation to his airways?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
possibly, but this started happening 4 days after the injection and he wasn't doing it before. The coughing he was doing previously was prolonged and presented differently. He hasn't been doing that now. I have 2 other cats, they are all indoors. no candles or air fresheners

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just saw your post. Could the coughing/sneezing actually be from fluid retention? Some cats can react that way to steroids. Was he also checked for any kind of heart/lung issue besides asthma?

There are other ways to treat asthma besides injectable steroids. You might want to ask your vet about other options.

Last edited:

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but he did have an x-ray in the same visit, and in the summer he had blood work done and all was good.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably an upper respiratory infection from the stress of the vet visit. You might call the vet and see what they advise.

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ya maybe. He gets extremely stressed going to the vet but has never had a cold after before

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, steroids suppress the immune system. If he keeps eating well, playing normally, and doing all the normal things, he may be able to overcome it without anything from the vet.

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he's been mostly normal, but seems sleepier/lazier and not really playing. But eating/drinking/bathroom is normal

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi G gilbert&liam !

I just noticed that you're north of the 49th (too)! And..............you've been around here longer than I. (I was first here in '07)

OK, while there are already a lot of cooks in this kitchen, I'm going to suggest my theory, based on things you've said but, those same things not having been picked up/addressed/mentioned so far.

First, though, is either eye looking wetter, even watery, perhaps even leaking/discharging? The sneezes - are they wet? Is his nose wet?

My suspicion is of a herpesvirus outbreak/flare, primarily caused by the steroid injection and secondarily, the stress of the appointment.

First hint, you've said the pre-shot cough was different from the post-shot cough . Pre-shot, that was an asthma cough, a lower respiratory issue.......the steroid put the brakes on the asthma cough...........but, also unleashed the herpesvirus, fuelled by the "extreme stress" from the Vet visit, and herpes is an upper respiratory condition. Yes, they sound/present differently and good on you for being able to notice/distinguish that difference.

And, of course his energy is being zapped......we all know the effect of a viral infection on us....think flu!

You can easily and safely find out if he's having a herpes outbreak. L-lysine acts like an anti-viral on herpes, it shuts down viral reproduction and the symptoms disappear within a couple of days. Treatment requires high dosing, 500mg twice daily until symptoms disappear, then 250mg twice daily for about a week. [LINK: The Cat - Feline Herpesvirus-1]

Personally, I wouldn't be going back to the Vet because of (1) the stress and its effects; and (2).(unless this Vet is very special) the likelihood of a (useless) antibiotic being prescribed.

Keep us posted.

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi G gilbert&liam !

I just noticed that you're north of the 49th (too)! And..............you've been around here longer than I. (I was first here in '07)

OK, while there are already a lot of cooks in this kitchen, I'm going to suggest my theory, based on things you've said but, those same things not having been picked up/addressed/mentioned so far.

First, though, is either eye looking wetter, even watery, perhaps even leaking/discharging? The sneezes - are they wet? Is his nose wet?

My suspicion is of a herpesvirus outbreak/flare, primarily caused by the steroid injection and secondarily, the stress of the appointment.

First hint, you've said the pre-shot cough was different from the post-shot cough . Pre-shot, that was an asthma cough, a lower respiratory issue.......the steroid put the brakes on the asthma cough...........but, also unleashed the herpesvirus, fuelled by the "extreme stress" from the Vet visit, and herpes is an upper respiratory condition. Yes, they sound/present differently and good on you for being able to notice/distinguish that difference.

And, of course his energy is being zapped......we all know the effect of a viral infection on us....think flu!

You can easily and safely find out if he's having a herpes outbreak. L-lysine acts like an anti-viral on herpes, it shuts down viral reproduction and the symptoms disappear within a couple of days. Treatment requires high dosing, 500mg twice daily until symptoms disappear, then 250mg twice daily for about a week. [LINK: The Cat - Feline Herpesvirus-1]

Personally, I wouldn't be going back to the Vet because of (1) the stress and its effects; and (2).(unless this Vet is very special) the likelihood of a (useless) antibiotic being prescribed.

Keep us posted.
Hey hey! Thank you so much, I have heard herpes mentioned a couple of times with his symptoms but havn't really read more on it. We adopted him from the humane society and he had the "sniffles" when he first came in there as well. His eyes aren't leaking, but he does have goopy in it every day, but had that before the shot as well. The sneezes sound like high pitched air, but his nose is wet and when breathing he sounds congested in the nose area. What you have mentioned totally makes sense, I'm supposed to follow up with a call for the vet today, but you are right they would likely prescribe antibiotics.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey hey! Thank you so much, I have heard herpes mentioned a couple of times with his symptoms but havn't really read more on it. We adopted him from the humane society and he had the "sniffles" when he first came in there as well. His eyes aren't leaking, but he does have goopy in it every day, but had that before the shot as well. The sneezes sound like high pitched air, but his nose is wet and when breathing he sounds congested in the nose
area. What you have mentioned totally makes
sense, I'm supposed to follow up with a call for the vet today, but you are right they would likely prescribe antibiotics.

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise