Sterilized cat peeing outside the litter box

drstiltz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My male cat has a problem of peeing outside the litter box; but this happens occasionally. He used to have this problem for about 2 years and we had eliminated it by keeping him off bedrooms, as he was peeing in bags we put in our rooms or over a pile of cloths. We had eliminated this problem for a while, but then he had started peeing on a sofa we put in the living room, that we'd brought from one of the bedrooms, as there was no space left to place it in the house.

Then I took him to the vet to see if he's got any urinating problems. They had a check-up and found an active testes, somewhere below his stomach. The vet said it was common of male cats that during growth some cats' reproductive organs kind of get stuck inside, but do not reach outside their bodies. Basically, our cat wasn't sterile all this time.

And then they had the operation, and our cat became really active and began jumping around, playing with his toys, and stopped peeing outside the litter box. After couple of weeks, I moved to a different house, which is much smaller than the previous one and took him with me, placed the liter box in one corner of the kitchen, which is not very isolated, but it is pretty much the most quiet place in the house. About three months passed, and we have seen no odor or pee anywhere in the house. Everything was fine until 2 days ago.

Now we've seen some pee on the carpet and on two towels we put on one of the beds in the bedroom. But, this most probably happened when we weren't at home, as I see him urinating daily, in his litter box. I clean up the litter box daily and have been sing the same canned food for about two years now.

What's my cat's problem?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I would get him checked again. Inappropriate litter box habits are sometimes the first sign of health problems. The location of the box could be the issue - or stress from moving. You could try something like a Feliway plug in to ease the stress. Also if you could find a less busy, more private location for the box it may help. I am sure you will get more suggestions here.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd  suggest a second box.  It can help.

Are you keeping the box you have meticulously clean?  Sometimes they can be very, very fussy..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drstiltz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm planning on buying a second box, though where he peed was in one corner of the bedroom, so I'm not really sure how it may sound at night while he's dashing his litter box; it might smell, too.

He got sterilized about 3 months ago, they had checked him for infections, but couldn't see anything. We keep the house and the bin pretty clean.

As I said, he always had this issue of peeing in bags or luggage I keep in my room, so we are used to keeping bags in wardrobes and that...

Thanks for the responses!