Stereotypes in different cat breeds

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I wanted to find out about stereotypes/generalizations regarding different cat breeds. I tried googling it, but I didn't find what I was looking for. Such as, I read that Siamese cats are more vocal?

I have a tortie and she isn't affectionate AT ALL. I read that torties are more naturally aggressive.

And I also read that red tabbies are more inclined to want to snuggle.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any links or personal observations that they could share?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every siamese (or, rather pointed) cat I've been around or lived with has been very vocal. I have had black cats that sound just like a siamese too...I think there's something legitimately genetic behind that observation. Can't 2 black cats produce a "pointed" cat?? I don't recall but I think so.

With torties and red tabbies I don't think so, since that's just coloring and not really 'breed'. I have 3 torties and they're all very individually different (although they are related).

Since I've never really had a purebred cat, I'm not much help otherwise.

I remember, I think I heard that Persian cats are typically not very active...but like I said, I've never had one. It could be a myth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coloration! that's the word... that's what I initially meant, but couldn't find the word for it, so I wrote "breed"

My tortie was the first cat I had and she caused me a lot of stress. I use to yell at her a lot when she did something bad. It wasn't until I started reading about cats that I found out you shouldn't yell. So I was wondering if her personality was due to how I treated her, or the way she was born. Probably both I assume.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm a first time cat owner and I read a lot about general breed personalities before I got my retired ragdoll. During my readings, I noticed that some websites had the same exact description about the personalities of the breed verbatim.

My ragdoll actually does fit most of the generalizations about its breed in that he follows me around everywhere I go. He waits for me at the door when I'm coming home (but I think it might have to do with him also wanting to go outside). When I pick him up, he goes limp...but only for a few moments. He loves having his tummy rubbed, is very soft pawed, laid back (which also means that they sleep a lot imo), has the softest rabbit like fur, and likes company. But I think cats all have different personalities just like us, with all of their own little quirks and idiosyncracies just like us.
Oh and he meows ALOT which is uncharacteristic of the breed description.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general, the oriental types (siamese, oriental shorthair, rexes) tend to be talkers and very active cats.

Persians/Himalayns and a few other long hair breeds are more quiet, less active cats.

Then you have the "medium" looking cats who tend to be middle of the road.

Torties and red tabbys are COLORS - not breeds. But torties/calicos tend to be more bossy type of cats "with attitude". I showed cats for over 25 yrs and based on what I've seen in the showhall and my own colors, I would say its pretty accurate

Red tabbys tend to be easy going, sometime nutty, goofy type of cats - red tabby boys are one of my favs.

Ocicats are very active, very smart, and chirp talkers. Thats cause you have a mix of the aby (active), siamese, and some american sh throw in to create them

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one Cornish Rex/Siamese/DSH crossbreed, bicolour (harlequin pattern), and one purebred Oriental Shorthair, who is blue.

They are both wonderful! To me at least
Radar, the Rex cross, is absolutely bonkers, very active, a little bundle of muscle and mischief, heavier than he looks, exceptionally soft fur (like the fluffiest baby rabbit you could ever imagine), is very affectionate but only on his own terms. He comes to me most for attention, prefers wrestling/playing rather than petting with people besides me, is very high energy, and if there is trouble to be had he will be right in the centre of it and loving every moment. He is completely, and I mean completely, fearless. This is the cat that when we first brought him home, firstly used the litterbox cos a cat's got to do what a cat's got to do, but then went to explore everything and mutilate his new humans. He chirps and peeps a lot but is generally fairly quiet.

Sonic (the oriental) on the other hand is very very affectionate and needy (partly due to his age, he is only 4 months at the moment!) he will go to anyone for affection, but was a little more timid when we first brought him home and didn't venture out of his carrier for 3 or 4 hours while he was getting used to his new surroundings. Once he'd come out of the carrier there was no stopping him, but he was a little less bold than Radar at first. Like many orientals, his voice is bigger than his body would suggest - he has a lot to say for himself, he joins in with conversations and talks back to you when you speak to him. Loudly
And when he's got something to complain about you know it for sure

I don't honestly believe that personality has that much to do with the colour of the coat - I think it has much more to do with breed and the start they get in life.

msktty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My aunt has a red tabby named Cloe and she's not an affectionate cat, I don't think. She likes to fake you out... She meows all nice like she wants to be loved, then she paws and bites at you (playing?). So it definitely is only a stereotype.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my red boys are quite feisty, dominant cats and both are very affectionate. I've heard that red/orange cats are often dominant but don't know if that's true or not - mine certainly fit the bill. Jaffa isn't really laid back though - he's quite timid (with people) and a bit nervous.

Breed wise Mosi is a typical somali in most ways except that most breed profiles say that somalis are fairly quiet and Mosi's a noisy so and so. He's also a bit livelier than your average somali but I think that's just individual variation as I was told by the breeder he was the liveliest one in the litter.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats my female red tabby domestic is very laid back easy going, my red tabby male persian very laid back and easy going, my calico domestic is shy and skittish, my brown tabby female domestic is the most loving to people but can have an attitude towards other cats, my 2 somalis are very active and dominate in the house, even the new kitten, one somali has the quiet whisper voice and the other is load and vocal.